Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Popular music or unique music?

+2
Mayaah
Maggie
6 posters

Go down

Popular music or unique music? Empty Popular music or unique music?

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am

Just curious...who here is in to "popular music" (i.e the stuff you hear every time you tune into the radio) or do you prefer listening to unique music no one else listens to? Or do you enjoy a pleasant mix of both?

For me, I listen to any song I like. If it's popular, so what? Either I like it or I don't. I do have a lot of unique music like French music, Arabic music, classical (that's not unique, right?), and some random remix songs no one has ever heard of. Suspect

Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Popular music or unique music? Empty Re: Popular music or unique music?

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 am

Well, you know I like French music. Wink

I like listening to both. I don't think a person should shun a song because it's too "mainstream" or "pop". So on my iPod is a mixture of music. Some that are popular (Black Eyed Peas, Drake, Taylor Swift, B.O.B., Paramore) and then there's the...not quite so popular (Lights, Pony Pony Run Run, Puggy, Two Door Cinema Club). Then I also listen to "oldies" (Bon Jovi, The Beatles, The BeeGees, Wham!, Air Supply). And then I also listen to a little K-Pop (SNSD, SHInee).

Smile
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:31 am

Mayaah wrote:Well, you know I like French music. Wink

I like listening to both. I don't think a person should shun a song because it's too "mainstream" or "pop". So on my iPod is a mixture of music. Some that are popular (Black Eyed Peas, Drake, Taylor Swift, B.O.B., Paramore) and then there's the...not quite so popular (Lights, Pony Pony Run Run, Puggy, Two Door Cinema Club). Then I also listen to "oldies" (Bon Jovi, The Beatles, The BeeGees, Wham!, Air Supply). And then I also listen to a little K-Pop (SNSD, SHInee).

Smile

No way! K-Pop!? *hugs you* The story of 2010 was K-Pop for me. Big Bang, SHInee, Suju, 2NE1, 2PM, Alex Chu (umm...not k-pop, but he counts!) Rain, SNSD, Wonder Girls...you name it!

I listen to a lot of oldies too like..Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams old. And even some 80s music, I admit. I like Paramore too. Smile I actually like so many different kinds of music I could ramble forever. Neutral
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:43 am

@Lizzy What kind of Arabic music do you listen to? My sister-in-law speaks Arabic &got me into some of the mainstream stuff. I like Nancy Ajram. Smile

I'm a big fan of oldies. Frank Sinatra is definitely one of my favorites. Love the Beatles too. I like to have a mix of different kinds of music. Some songs are random that I don't think people have heard of &others are more mainstream.

I don't like listening to the radio. They over play songs to the point of annoyance which totally ruins the song for me. Mad

I love all kinds of music. Classical, Arabic, Indian, Rap, Country( Exclamation ), Pop, Alternative/Rock. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 am

I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and Classical, though I don't mind mainstream radio content, like Coldplay, Five For Fighting, Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, and Evanescence. (I usually listen to Classical on the radio, then some Yiruma and various soundtracks. I'm looking into guitar pieces right now.) I absolutely love The Beatles! I think my favorites so far are Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby.

I've never listened to music of a different language, other than Ma Ya Hi Very Happy, so that's pretty cool that you guys like French and Arabic music! Maybe when I've learned Russian I'll look into that. But really, I sing more than I listen to music. I don't even know why I have an iPod. Wink
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 am

I'm completely into popular music! First, I can listen to it without people screaming at me to change the station, and second, I grew up listening to popular music so its more relaxing for me Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Renee wrote:I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and Classical, though I don't mind mainstream radio content, like Coldplay, Five For Fighting, Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, and Evanescence. (I usually listen to Classical on the radio, then some Yiruma and various soundtracks. I'm looking into guitar pieces right now.) I absolutely love The Beatles! I think my favorites so far are Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby.

I've never listened to music of a different language, other than Ma Ya Hi Very Happy, so that's pretty cool that you guys like French and Arabic music! Maybe when I've learned Russian I'll look into that. But really, I sing more than I listen to music. I don't even know why I have an iPod. Wink

I love Evanescence. And you should totally listen to Russian music. I have a song that's sung in Russian but I don't know if it's a "russian song." It helps to listen to music in the language you're learning. It's enjoyable.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm pretty across the board--some Alternative, some Folk, lots of classical(the stuff with emotion, not so much Beethoven, which is usually too impersonal for me), Taylor Swift(she's in her own genre, lol), mostly mellow, sometimes described as sad, stuff. Jars of Clay are pretty much my favorite, plus The Afters, some Lifehouse, and Relient K. Phil Wickham is also really good. And Augustana and The Beatles. Smile I usually just like random songs that happen to popular sometimes--usually found by watching the deep, emotional dances on So You Think You Can Dance, lol. Laughing
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Shahira wrote:@Lizzy What kind of Arabic music do you listen to? My sister-in-law speaks Arabic &got me into some of the mainstream stuff. I like Nancy Ajram. Smile
Smile

I don't know them by name. I had a CD of all different Arabic artists. I can't spell most of their names. I should check out Nancy Ajram!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Cool, we're fans of The Beatles! ^^ My friend bought herself and me these buttons that say "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" because we're single and lonely so we call ourselves that. xP aha, yeah, kind of cheesy.

@Lizzy
Yeah! I've started listening to more K-Pop. My friends got me into Korean culture lately, lol. Have you watched a Korean drama before?
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Mayaah wrote:
@Lizzy
Yeah! I've started listening to more K-Pop. My friends got me into Korean culture lately, lol. Have you watched a Korean drama before?

You have no idea how much I love Korea/ns. Yes, I've seen a drama before. But what I enjoyed even more was the Korean show "We Got Married". They couple random famous Korean people together and see how they do as a "married" couple. So funny! I used to watch it to help me practice Korean.

Smile
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 am

@Lizzy I really love Nancy Ajram. Smile They're fun for belly dancing. (Not that I'm any good at that lol)

@Maya I'm with you on the whole single & lonely thing. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 am

Shahira wrote:@Lizzy I really love Nancy Ajram. Smile They're fun for belly dancing. (Not that I'm any good at that lol)

I have a friend who's super in to belly dancing. She has this special, jingly belly dancing shirt she let me try on once. I felt so ridiculous. Laughing
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 am

Lizzy wrote:
Shahira wrote:@Lizzy I really love Nancy Ajram. Smile They're fun for belly dancing. (Not that I'm any good at that lol)

I have a friend who's super in to belly dancing. She has this special, jingly belly dancing shirt she let me try on once. I felt so ridiculous. Laughing
That's awesome! You should give it a try. Smile It's actually a lot of fun. My sister-in-law tried to teach me but I think I'm just too embarrassed to learn. Embarassed
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 am

Shahira wrote: That's awesome! You should give it a try. Smile It's actually a lot of fun. My sister-in-law tried to teach me but I think I'm just too embarrassed to learn. Embarassed

Same here. Plus I feel like I'm too skinny. I think belly dancers have to have some sort of belly, you know what I mean? Dunno.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Shahira wrote: That's awesome! You should give it a try. Smile It's actually a lot of fun. My sister-in-law tried to teach me but I think I'm just too embarrassed to learn. Embarassed

Same here. Plus I feel like I'm too skinny. I think belly dancers have to have some sort of belly, you know what I mean? Dunno.
Yeah a lot of them have a bit of a belly but skinny girls do it too. Smile I just think of it as a fun way of exercising.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 pm

It is definitely a fun way of exercising! I used to be a dancer so I already know dancing is my all time favorite way to exercise.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Lizzy wrote:It is definitely a fun way of exercising! I used to be a dancer so I already know dancing is my all time favorite way to exercise.
What kind of dancing did/do you do?
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Shahira wrote:What kind of dancing did/do you do?

Ballet and modern.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Shahira wrote:What kind of dancing did/do you do?

Ballet and modern.
After watching Black Swan, I've really began to love ballet. It's a really beautiful form of dance.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Shahira wrote:After watching Black Swan, I've really began to love ballet. It's a really beautiful form of dance.

Oooh, I didn't watch Black Swan. It looked so scary. I love ballet. <3
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Shahira wrote:After watching Black Swan, I've really began to love ballet. It's a really beautiful form of dance.

Oooh, I didn't watch Black Swan. It looked so scary. I love ballet. <3
There's a few jumpy parts. It's more suspense-ish I think. But it was a pretty cool movie. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Hmm, the trailer scared me. Laughing Maybe I'll watch it though.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Lol it kind of scared me too. &the movie left me feeling jumpy for a while but I liked it anyway. Very Happy
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down