Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funniest book you've ever read?

+2
Maggie
Sarah
6 posters

Go down

Funniest book you've ever read? Empty Funniest book you've ever read?

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I love books that make me laugh all the time! So what's the funniest book you've ever read?
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Funniest book you've ever read? Empty Re: Funniest book you've ever read?

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh gosh! I don't even know. Only a few books have actually made me laugh out loud. Among those were the HP series. Umm...I actually have no idea!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:08 pm

lol, that's alright, it's so hard to find a truly funny book nowadays cause most are more serious. I guess for me it would be Heist Society and Anna and the French Kiss. They had there serious points in them but there were quite a few places where I laughed out loud. I remember the Harry Potter series making me laugh a few times... ah good times lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:17 pm

The funniest book/series I've ever read is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. (I've said this before, but I felt like making it official.) I'm just about to reread it, and I'm ridiculously excited for what is just going to be a reread. Rolling Eyes

It's a 1st person, contemporary Greek mythology series of five books. The MC, Percy, finds out he's a demigod, goes off to Camp Half-Blood to train, and then subsequently goes on adventures. And it's the perfect blend of humor and epic.

Percy is hilarious, and manages to be a well-rounded character, as well. The chapter titles are intriguing and funny at the same time, with I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-algebra Teacher, We Meet the Sheep of Doom, and A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers just to name a few. The first book is slightly MG, since he's twelve, but it matures quickly. I love this series--maybe too much. Very Happy
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Percy Jackson! HP! Those are both laugh-out-loud hilarious. One more...Artemis Fowl. Very Happy The later books, mainly, but they all make me smile at the very least. My funny books have to have sadness in them for balance, otherwise I won't end up liking it enough to remember it.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Renee wrote:The funniest book/series I've ever read is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. (I've said this before, but I felt like making it official.) I'm just about to reread it, and I'm ridiculously excited for what is just going to be a reread. Rolling Eyes

It's a 1st person, contemporary Greek mythology series of five books. The MC, Percy, finds out he's a demigod, goes off to Camp Half-Blood to train, and then subsequently goes on adventures. And it's the perfect blend of humor and epic.

Percy is hilarious, and manages to be a well-rounded character, as well. The chapter titles are intriguing and funny at the same time, with I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-algebra Teacher, We Meet the Sheep of Doom, and A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers just to name a few. The first book is slightly MG, since he's twelve, but it matures quickly. I love this series--maybe too much. Very Happy

I really want to read that book!!! You make it sound so good!!! I watched the movie when it came out, is it anything like the movie, or did the movie people ruin it? And you can't love as series too much! or can you.... Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Amanda wrote:Percy Jackson! HP! Those are both laugh-out-loud hilarious. One more...Artemis Fowl. Very Happy The later books, mainly, but they all make me smile at the very least. My funny books have to have sadness in them for balance, otherwise I won't end up liking it enough to remember it.

I loved Harry Potter! Can you believe that I have never read Percy Jackson or Artemis Fowl?! What's Artemis Fowl about?? I'm the same way, I love for books to be funny but there has to be seriousness in them to balance it out or it doesn't make for a very good book in my opinion.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 pm

What?! Never read them? What is this madness? Shocked lol. It's set in modern day, and Artemis Fowl II, a criminal mastermind genius-type, is the twelve-year-old son of an Irish crime lord, Artemis Fowl I(who's missing). After lots of research, Artemis believes that he has confirmed the existence of fairies and decides to kidnap one for a large ransom of fairy gold, to restore his family's money. The books follow his ascent into later teenage years and a (mostly) legal outlook on life, with the influence of his fairy friends. It's listed as a YA fantasy, but it feels much more like a sci-fi with magic. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Amanda wrote:What?! Never read them? What is this madness? Shocked lol. It's set in modern day, and Artemis Fowl II, a criminal mastermind genius-type, is the twelve-year-old son of an Irish crime lord, Artemis Fowl I(who's missing). After lots of research, Artemis believes that he has confirmed the existence of fairies and decides to kidnap one for a large ransom of fairy gold, to restore his family's money. The books follow his ascent into later teenage years and a (mostly) legal outlook on life, with the influence of his fairy friends. It's listed as a YA fantasy, but it feels much more like a sci-fi with magic. Smile

It sounds sooo good! I'm definitely going to see if my library has it when I go on Friday!!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Sarah wrote:I really want to read that book!!! You make it sound so good!!! I watched the movie when it came out, is it anything like the movie, or did the movie people ruin it? And you can't love as series too much! or can you.... Smile
Eh…I wouldn't say they ruined it, just that it was not the same story. The movie kind of made it look like a video game, where you have to collect all the magical objects before you win, and the book wasn't like that at all. I was disappointed with it. The movie captures only some of the humor and none of the depth, and it didn't really leave it open for sequels. It made the evil smaller and the stakes lower--it was all Luke's fault, instead of him being just a servant to an ancient super-villain who's trying to take over the world.

In the first book, Percy has to retrieve Zeus' lightning bolt that's been stolen (thus titled, The Lightening Thief), because he's accused of stealing it, even though he just found out he's a demigod and has had nothing to do with their world before this point. If he doesn't return it by the Summer Solstice, I think it was, Zeus will start a war with his father. It's pretty intense, and the stakes just raise from there, all the while keeping the humor alive. Very Happy
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Renee wrote:
Sarah wrote:I really want to read that book!!! You make it sound so good!!! I watched the movie when it came out, is it anything like the movie, or did the movie people ruin it? And you can't love as series too much! or can you.... Smile
Eh…I wouldn't say they ruined it, just that it was not the same story. The movie kind of made it look like a video game, where you have to collect all the magical objects before you win, and the book wasn't like that at all. I was disappointed with it. The movie captures only some of the humor and none of the depth, and it didn't really leave it open for sequels. It made the evil smaller and the stakes lower--it was all Luke's fault, instead of him being just a servant to an ancient super-villain who's trying to take over the world.

In the first book, Percy has to retrieve Zeus' lightning bolt that's been stolen (thus titled, The Lightening Thief), because he's accused of stealing it, even though he just found out he's a demigod and has had nothing to do with their world before this point. If he doesn't return it by the Summer Solstice, I think it was, Zeus will start a war with his father. It's pretty intense, and the stakes just raise from there, all the while keeping the humor alive. Very Happy

Wow! That sounds like a really good book! I'm going to end up spending the whole weekend reading all these books Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 pm

I think the funniest book I've ever read would have to be one of those Wayside Story From Wayside School ones by Louis Sachar. I think it was called Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. I mean, they're so incredibly childish but I grew up reading them and fell in love with them!
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Renee wrote:The funniest book/series I've ever read is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. (I've said this before, but I felt like making it official.) I'm just about to reread it, and I'm ridiculously excited for what is just going to be a reread. Rolling Eyes

Haha! I started reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and it does have a good sense of humor. Laughing The chapter titles are pretty awesome.
Since you say that it matures later on, I think I'd be more willing to read the rest of the series now. I haven't read MG in a while, so the MG language felt funny to me while reading it, xP
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Mayaah wrote:I think the funniest book I've ever read would have to be one of those Wayside Story From Wayside School ones by Louis Sachar. I think it was called Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. I mean, they're so incredibly childish but I grew up reading them and fell in love with them!

I haven't read those in sooo long! I barely remember what any of them were about but I do remember them being supper good! I loved them growing up too!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 am

Mayaah wrote:I think the funniest book I've ever read would have to be one of those Wayside Story From Wayside School ones by Louis Sachar. I think it was called Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. I mean, they're so incredibly childish but I grew up reading them and fell in love with them!
I still remember reading about the people-flavored ice cream! I loved those! Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 am

Amanda wrote:I still remember reading about the people-flavored ice cream! I loved those! Very Happy
Oh my gosh, me too! That's pretty much it. Wait, and the nineteenth story that didn't exist--the people who were forgotten went there, and walked around like phantoms. Oh! And the substitute with the mind-reading ear on top of her head. Good times.
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 am

Renee wrote:
Amanda wrote:I still remember reading about the people-flavored ice cream! I loved those! Very Happy
Oh my gosh, me too! That's pretty much it. Wait, and the nineteenth story that didn't exist--the people who were forgotten went there, and walked around like phantoms. Oh! And the substitute with the mind-reading ear on top of her head. Good times.

@Amanda I loved that story about the people-flavored ice cream! I loved those stories soo much! Now looking back though, I have no clue how that guy made all those stories up!
@Renee haha those were so good, I remember trying to figure out how they could forget the nineteenth story. And didn't one of the kids accidentally go to the 19th story, he tried going back a few times and he couldn't find it anymore? Now I'm going to be thinking about these stories all day lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes! And that teacher who changed the students into apples. And those poems the students made. And all those stories -- Ah! I love Louis Sachar just for the weirdness of it all. x)
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Mayaah wrote:Yes! And that teacher who changed the students into apples. And those poems the students made. And all those stories -- Ah! I love Louis Sachar just for the weirdness of it all. x)

I remember the apple one, it was soo funny! I really want to read those again now! Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Brigid Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm

I, too, shall voice my love for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Those are both wonderful and hilarious books. Love 'em!

Libba Bray is really, really funny. Her Gemma Doyle books aren't really; they're actually, um, really terrifying. But her books Going Bovine and Beauty Queens had me laughing out loud a lot. I've also met her and she is SUPA COOL!

Also Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levitan is a hilarious book.

Uhhh ... can't think of anything else at the moment.
Brigid
Brigid
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down