Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Started over *wail*

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Started over *wail*

Post  Maggie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Okay, I'm not THAT upset. I re-started my WIP today. I needed a fresh beginning and a new sub-plot. I did just that and wrote over 2k and I have a much clearer sense of where I'm going now. Yay!

--Maggie--
blog - twitter - facebook
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Started over *wail*

Post  Sarah on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Lizzy wrote:Okay, I'm not THAT upset. I re-started my WIP today. I needed a fresh beginning and a new sub-plot. I did just that and wrote over 2k and I have a much clearer sense of where I'm going now. Yay!

That's awesome!!! Did you just finish editing your last WIP or are you using this new one to take a break from it before editing?
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:10 pm

I haven't started editing my last novel. I'm going to finish this WIP (Yes, I am. *determined*) and then I'm going to start editing my last one, because it won't be so fresh anymore and I'll be able to see the mistakes. Very Happy

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Lizzy wrote:I haven't started editing my last novel. I'm going to finish this WIP (Yes, I am. *determined*) and then I'm going to start editing my last one, because it won't be so fresh anymore and I'll be able to see the mistakes. Very Happy

That's a great way to do it!!!
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I love how you *wailed* but then said it's okay. Laughing Sometimes starting fresh is what you need. &those 2K weren't wasted. They were practice. Very Happy But good luck with it this time!

Sometimes I feel like I should start over on my current WIP which is 58K. Shocked

Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Shahira wrote:I love how you *wailed* but then said it's okay. Laughing Sometimes starting fresh is what you need. &those 2K weren't wasted. They were practice. Very Happy But good luck with it this time!

Sometimes I feel like I should start over on my current WIP which is 58K. Shocked

Start over a 58k story!?! I think I would start crying! Lol. why do you think you should start it over?
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 pm

@Sarah I want to cry when I think about it too. Sad Well, the beginning just drags. I don't think the characters were developed well. &my writing is SO bad. It's just a big mess. No
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Shahira wrote:@Sarah I want to cry when I think about it too. Sad Well, the beginning just drags. I don't think the characters were developed well. &my writing is SO bad. It's just a big mess. No

Aww Sad Your writing is NOT so bad. Heck, I've read some of it! You have a lovely voice and lots of potential! Don't give up. *hugs*

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Shahira wrote:@Sarah I want to cry when I think about it too. Sad Well, the beginning just drags. I don't think the characters were developed well. &my writing is SO bad. It's just a big mess. No

I'm sure it's not as bad as you think it is! writers tend to be their own worst critics. If the beginning drags then maybe you should cut some of it out. I had some pieces in my WIP that I just loved, but they didn't help move the story along so I cut them (from the polished version, I keep the original for me Smile ) and then I had a chapter that just was boring so I kept the begining and re-wrote the end that way the readers still got to know what I wanted them to but it was more fun to read. Maybe you dont need a huge change but just some small ones... Really the deciding factor is when you ask yourself "do I love the story?" not the writing, but the story, and if the answer is yes then it's worth going through all of that Very Happy I hope this helped a little!
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 am

@Lizzy *hugs back* Thank you. Smile That means a lot! I definitely won't be giving up. Smile

@Sarah It's hard to like my own writing because I just feel like it drags. But yeah, maybe I should cut out some of the beginning. That's a good idea to keep the original for yourself. I should start doing that. Smile When I think if I really love the story, I honestly do at times. But then I have those days when I just can't stand it. I'm bi-polar when it comes my story lol. Everything you said has helped so thank you so much. Very Happy
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:37 am

Shahira wrote:@Lizzy *hugs back* Thank you. Smile That means a lot! I definitely won't be giving up. Smile

@Sarah It's hard to like my own writing because I just feel like it drags. But yeah, maybe I should cut out some of the beginning. That's a good idea to keep the original for yourself. I should start doing that. Smile When I think if I really love the story, I honestly do at times. But then I have those days when I just can't stand it. I'm bi-polar when it comes my story lol. Everything you said has helped so thank you so much. Very Happy

I know exactly what you mean cause I get the same way about my story. On a good day I'll love it and then on a bad day I don't like it.... I tend to ignore those bad days Very Happy lol. I'm glad I could help! Smile
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:04 pm

I'll just have to do the same thing. Smile I need to learn to push through those hard days. ¬ take on SO much editing all at once.
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:39 pm

That's awesome, Lizzy! Hopefully the rest will be written as smoothly. Smile
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Mayaah wrote:That's awesome, Lizzy! Hopefully the rest will be written as smoothly. Smile

Thank you! I wrote over 1,000 words today. Very Happy

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 pm

@Shahira, we're all here for you if you need some support Smile

@Lizzy, that's awesome!
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Sarah wrote:@Shahira, we're all here for you if you need some support Smile

TOTALLY! That's one of the main points of this community. If you ever need someone to read your work and remind you how awesome it is, I'm your girl. I can critique, and I can also tell you EVERYTHING I love. Very Happy

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:05 am

Thank you. Smile I'll keep that in mind Lizzy! Very Happy
Shahira