Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Big texter or no?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

As a writer, I'm a huge typer. I love typing, and over time have learned to type very fast. So thus I'm not a huge fan of texting and the tiny keyboard. I really use texting for catching up with friends who do text, working out meeting people, and contacting parents/family. Basically just use it for what it's for-- catching someone when they're out and about.

What about you? Do you like texting / text a lot? Why or why not?

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 am

I love to text. It's a lot more convenient than talking on the phone. It just gets boring when people reply with 'K.' or 'Lol.' .......What are you supposed to reply to that with?? Suspect
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Mayaah on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 am

I don't like texting because I'm not allowed to text. Parents banned it from me (distraction from homework). Lol. Though before I really wished I could text, I don't anymore. I prefer typing better, also. Smile And nothing beats talking with people in real life, though I like conversing in forums like this also. Wink
avatar
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Posts : 117
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere Else

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Renée on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 am

I never really used to text until I got a phone with a qwerty keyboard--now, I don't really call anyone, unless I need an immediate response. But if the question was something like, are you addicted to texting? I'd have to say, no, my phone is not an extra limb--I text sparingly. (But, I do dread making phone calls, so I definitely opt for texting when it comes to that.)
avatar
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 24
Location : Alaska

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Amanda on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:40 am

Yeah, I'm in agreement with Renee(surprise surprise). I really hate making phone calls, so I'll text unless it's necessary to call. I don't initiate texting conversations, though--if one of my more texting-addicted friends texts me, I text back, and we 'talk' until I get carpal tunnel from my phone(my qwerty keyboard phone broke Sad). I like the texting medium more than calling because it gives me time to think over everything I say. Just like I like writing more than speaking. Smile
avatar
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 671
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 24
Location : Alaska

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am

Shahira wrote:I love to text. It's a lot more convenient than talking on the phone. It just gets boring when people reply with 'K.' or 'Lol.' .......What are you supposed to reply to that with?? Suspect

LOL, I know what you mean. Mostly I'm the one replying "k" or "LOL" though...more often "haha" is my finishing reply. ^^

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 am

Mayaah wrote:I don't like texting because I'm not allowed to text. Parents banned it from me (distraction from homework). Lol. Though before I really wished I could text, I don't anymore. I prefer typing better, also. Smile And nothing beats talking with people in real life, though I like conversing in forums like this also. Wink

Wow, haha. At least you don't mind not texting anymore. I'd MUCH rather talk with people in person too (though I actually hate talking on the phone because I can't see their expressions or make any myself either so I feel like I'm struggling to get my point across, if that makes sense).

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 am

Renee wrote:I never really used to text until I got a phone with a qwerty keyboard--now, I don't really call anyone, unless I need an immediate response. But if the question was something like, are you addicted to texting? I'd have to say, no, my phone is not an extra limb--I text sparingly. (But, I do dread making phone calls, so I definitely opt for texting when it comes to that.)

Yeah, I never texted until my sister and I got a new phone to share and it had a regular little keyboard. Still, though, I hate using it because it's so slow.

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 am

Amanda wrote:Yeah, I'm in agreement with Renee(surprise surprise). I really hate making phone calls, so I'll text unless it's necessary to call. I don't initiate texting conversations, though--if one of my more texting-addicted friends texts me, I text back, and we 'talk' until I get carpal tunnel from my phone(my qwerty keyboard phone broke Sad). I like the texting medium more than calling because it gives me time to think over everything I say. Just like I like writing more than speaking. Smile

Oh my gosh, same here about calling vs. typing. As I said above, I really hate phone calls unless they're with someone I know very well like my mom or dad or something, because otherwise there is that struggle to make sure there are no silent pauses and also, I can't make expressions. ^^

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 pm

I prefer texts over talking on the phone like you guys said. I feel like I can't do anything else when I'm on the phone. I just have to sit there & concentrate on the conversation. But with texting, I can be doing just about anything while holding a conversation. (Except driving of course because that's NOT safe. Smile )
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Shahira wrote:I prefer texts over talking on the phone like you guys said. I feel like I can't do anything else when I'm on the phone. I just have to sit there & concentrate on the conversation. But with texting, I can be doing just about anything while holding a conversation. (Except driving of course because that's NOT safe. Smile )

Yeah, totally. ^^

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Mayaah on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 am

Lol, yeah! ^^
But if I had to choose, I would prefer to text over call, also. Sometimes it's just so...awkward while calling and so apparent when there are gaps in the conversation. Plus, it doesn't help that I'm practically deaf. xP
avatar
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Posts : 117
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere Else

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Maya, I'm half deaf too. Laughing I can never hear what the other person is saying.
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Mayaah on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:40 am

Aha! I know, right? I have to keep asking, "What did you say? Sorry, sorry!" and then I feel like I'm getting annoying after about four "what's"? Lol. xP
avatar
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Posts : 117
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere Else

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 pm

I know how that is. &then I'll get distracted by something else & won't be able to concentrate on what the person is saying. I swear, I have the attention span of a four year old lol.
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Stephen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:49 pm

I text a lot to people all over the country but I write the words the way I learnt them in school or from the books I read, I don't use abbreviation that often Smile
avatar
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 22
Location : Ireland, Luxembourg, France it depends xD

http://scitteraire.sitew.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Stephen wrote:I text a lot to people all over the country but I write the words the way I learnt them in school or from the books I read, I don't use abbreviation that often Smile

That makes sense! Smile Text lingo is really stupid, in my opinion...at least when it goes overboard like it does a lot in texts.

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Stephen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Stephen wrote:I text a lot to people all over the country but I write the words the way I learnt them in school or from the books I read, I don't use abbreviation that often Smile

That makes sense! Smile Text lingo is really stupid, in my opinion...at least when it goes overboard like it does a lot in texts.

yes Smile I agree with you Smile
avatar
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 22
Location : Ireland, Luxembourg, France it depends xD

http://scitteraire.sitew.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I HATE text lingo. I spell out each & every word. I even use proper grammar & punctuation lol. It irks me if I don't.
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Shahira wrote:I HATE text lingo. I spell out each & every word. I even use proper grammar & punctuation lol. It irks me if I don't.

I do most of the time. I admit to being lazy and using 'gtg' or 'k' or something like that when I need to communicate something fast. But usually I'll go ahead and type out the word, though I can't stand that little keyboard. ^^

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:43 am

@Lizzy Yeah, sometimes it's just easier. Smile I'm just so particular about it lol. Kind of a perfectionist. Probably because a few years ago I would type, like, really bad. I'd misspell things on purpose & now looking back, I don't know what I was thinking lol.
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Renée on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:33 am

Shahira wrote:@Lizzy Yeah, sometimes it's just easier. Smile I'm just so particular about it lol. Kind of a perfectionist. Probably because a few years ago I would type, like, really bad. I'd misspell things on purpose & now looking back, I don't know what I was thinking lol.
Oh my goodness, when I first started instant messaging, I did that too. It's awful, looking back on my conversation history. I also can't stand text lingo anymore--my grammar and spelling must be as good as I can make them, or I feel like I'm letting myself down. I only use 'LOL' and 'Ttyl'. Smile Can you believe I used to not capitalize 'I'? It was horrid! *shudders*
avatar
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 24
Location : Alaska

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 am

@Renee Same here about the 'I'! I went through a phase of not capitalizing Is ... it went on for a while. I mostly did that in chat, though. Facebook chat in particular. Ugh, it was horrible! But it was also, thankfully, a phase.

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Shahira on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

@Renee ME TOO. Ugh, I hate looking back at my poetry. I'm also thankful that it was just a phase & I'm so over it. I only use 'lol' or I'll use the & <-- symbol.

@Lizzy My chats were probably SO bad lol. I can't even imagine. I'm just glad that's all over.. Laughing
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Maggie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 pm

@Shahira ME TOO! Good thing Facebook doesn't save chats. Laughing

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Big texter or no?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum