Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are you in your WIP?

4 posters

Go down

Where are you in your WIP? Empty Where are you in your WIP?

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Where is everyone in your current WIP? Whether that means in writing or in editing Smile How has the process been for you so far? Did you struggle through writing or are you struggling through edits?

I'm almost done on my WIP Smile It's been actually a pretty easy process for me so far. I plotted the basics, which for me means that I wrote a word or two that describes what I want each chapter to be about, and then sort of figured it out from there. It made it so much easier! I'm excited to be finsihing this WIP soon so I can focus on a new story Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Where are you in your WIP? Empty Re: Where are you in your WIP?

Post  Renée Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Congrats on almost finishing--you're like lightning! Very Happy

I'm getting back to my WIP after a two and a half week hiatus. I've figured out what I'm going to do for the scene I was stuck on, and I got schoolwork done--it's a win-win! (And it's pretty much official that I'm getting an iPad!) I'm at about 11k right now…maybe.

I mostly plot in my head (walking through the scenes like a movie.) But sometimes my characters' ideas are better, so I always leave it open for surprises. It's weird though, because the character-driven changes aren't usually conscious. When I'm in the zone, it's not like, 'that would be cool if that happened', it's 'writing…joy…writing', and I watch it translate into sensible English. Razz *minor exaggeration*

Right now, I have the sequence plotted up close to the end, with the major events having details. I've found imagining it before sleep helps--if something doesn't work, I can start over and be back where I was within a minute in vivid color--problem solved. Wink
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Thank you Very Happy

That's awesome! I'm having to take a small break to work on school work (I have to write a 2,000 word research paper on Influenza, I got 600 done in 20 mins so I'm rolling with it lol) I can't take off more than a day or two of writing in the winter though cause I write almost nothing in the summer. Its sad. Yay for iPads! Which one are you getting? the iPad 1 or 2? If you get the iPad 2 you have to tell me how you like it!!! 11k is amazing! What genre is it?

The scenes play out like movies for me two and its like I have a vague idea of the what the movies going to be about (hence the only one word to describe the chapter. Normally its just a name of the character or thing the chapters going to revolve around, but it helps when I'm stuck lol Razz) I normally know the end and the beginning and I figure out the middle as I go.

Aren't the character drive plots funny? Its like you expect them to do one thing but they want to do another and you have to listen to them (my mom gives me that "maybe we should try you in therapy" look whenever I explain that to her, and then says "Sarah, they're are your characters, you can make them do whatever")

I've done that a few times, more often than not though I'll get stuck and I'll just sit there not thinking about anything and an idea will come to me. Its really crazy. haha, long post. I love writing I love you
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Lol, I love writing, too. Very Happy

I'm planning on getting the iPad 2--black, 32GB model--a green smart cover, and a wireless keyboard if I decide I don't like on-screen typing. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Smile

Yeah…11k isn't that good if this is the story I've been working on since tenth grade. I did have 20k at one point, but then I took another long break (where I learned much editing Amanda's WIP and reading the Write Great Fiction series) and rewrote what I had for Nanowrimo. I'm just getting to the point where I was last time and am breaking off of the old story, which is why this part was harder to write. This version has less fluff and more interesting subplots. Wink (Last time, there were no subplots.) It's a quasi-medieval romance-adventure.

Lol, my answer on what I'm writing is going to be the same for a while, since I don't really like to multi-task. (I have like, 4+ ideas marinating in my head, though.)
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

*jelous* That sounds soo awesome!!!

That's still good, if the writing is better now and you learned something then you've accomplished a lot! That sounds like a really cool genre, do you like doing research for it? I've been considering doing a story from a different time period but I'm always afraid that I'll hate researching it too much.

I don't like multitasking either, mostly because I don't end up finishing anything. I'm going to finish my current WIP (which is a sequel in a series I'm writing) then I have a contemporary project to work on in the summer (I know I wont get much done, but I like assigning myself a project anyway) and then whether I finish that project or not when winter comes I have to stop and work on the third book in the series I'm writing. Lol, I think I made that really confusing Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Sarah wrote:*jelous* That sounds soo awesome!!!

That's still good, if the writing is better now and you learned something then you've accomplished a lot! That sounds like a really cool genre, do you like doing research for it? I've been considering doing a story from a different time period but I'm always afraid that I'll hate researching it too much.

I don't like multitasking either, mostly because I don't end up finishing anything. I'm going to finish my current WIP (which is a sequel in a series I'm writing) then I have a contemporary project to work on in the summer (I know I wont get much done, but I like assigning myself a project anyway) and then whether I finish that project or not when winter comes I have to stop and work on the third book in the series I'm writing. Lol, I think I made that really confusing Very Happy
Haha, she calls it 'quasi-medieval' so she doesn't have to actually do the research. I think most of our ideas are all fantasy, so the research is only for vague, practical things, like the endurance of a horse, ect. I'm pretty sure we've only had one idea that includes a bit more extensive research. It's a romantic tragedy based in ancient or medieval Japan. And Japanese culture fascinates me, so it should be super fun. Smile

I don't think I'd ever write something in a different time or place if I wasn't excited about learning all those details. I love most history, so that gives me tons of times and places to work with, but there are still things I wouldn't write. Like a Western. Not a huge fan of that time period, for no particular reason. Ancient Greece, on the other hand... Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

To answer the actual question, I'm still only halfway through writing Ch 16 of 20 or 21(each chapter is about 5.5k). I haven't actually written anything of note for like two weeks. But I was able to focus on building the scene in my head last night, so I see some good progress in my future. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Sarah wrote:That's still good, if the writing is better now and you learned something then you've accomplished a lot! That sounds like a really cool genre, do you like doing research for it? I've been considering doing a story from a different time period but I'm always afraid that I'll hate researching it too much.
Lol, what is this research you speak of? Amanda's pretty much already explained my process. *heh* I haven't done any research, but it's not like I'm never going to do research. This WIP is for fun and to improve my skills, so I'm just basing my setting loosely on what I've learned from history classes, older English literature classes, the History Channel I love you, and my microeconomics class. Who knew you could learn so much from school? Razz
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Way to go Sarah! That's awesome!! I'm on Chapter 5 in my WIP. Usually when I reach Chapter 10 I know I'll finish, so I'm hoping to get there soon so I have some certainty. Until then it's just a matter of keeping my interest up and the inspiration coming in.

Do you have a new story idea for when you're done with this one?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Amanda wrote:To answer the actual question, I'm still only halfway through writing Ch 16 of 20 or 21(each chapter is about 5.5k). I haven't actually written anything of note for like two weeks. But I was able to focus on building the scene in my head last night, so I see some good progress in my future. Smile

That Japanese project sounded really cool! I always love to read about those cultures because they're so different than mine. (hmm, I can't remember but wasn't it you who said you where learning Japanese, or was that Russian *thinks harder*)

Wow! 65k?! (I think that's how much it is, I was too lazy to go find a calculator Wink) even if it's a little less than that though that is still amazing! My WIP tend to always end at around 55k so I'm seriously in awe of people who can write so much more than that, and you have like 20k more!!! That's just awesome! I hope you get to write a lot soon!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Renee wrote:
Sarah wrote:That's still good, if the writing is better now and you learned something then you've accomplished a lot! That sounds like a really cool genre, do you like doing research for it? I've been considering doing a story from a different time period but I'm always afraid that I'll hate researching it too much.
Lol, what is this research you speak of? Amanda's pretty much already explained my process. *heh* I haven't done any research, but it's not like I'm never going to do research. This WIP is for fun and to improve my skills, so I'm just basing my setting loosely on what I've learned from history classes, older English literature classes, the History Channel I love you, and my microeconomics class. Who knew you could learn so much from school? Razz

Haha, that's funny Very Happy. I write paranormal so I have to do some research for places and stuff (like Alaska Smile) and other stuff and it is so hard to get it all right, so I don't know if I would want to try something that needed research. Imagine, learning something in school! Lol, Jk, I'm always super suprised when I learn something in school and then realize that a year later I not only know it but actually needed it. Who knew that when the teachers said they were teaching you stuff you needed to know, they were telling the truth!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Lizzy wrote:Way to go Sarah! That's awesome!! I'm on Chapter 5 in my WIP. Usually when I reach Chapter 10 I know I'll finish, so I'm hoping to get there soon so I have some certainty. Until then it's just a matter of keeping my interest up and the inspiration coming in.

Do you have a new story idea for when you're done with this one?

Thank you Very Happy That is awesome Lizzy! Wasn't it just a week ago that you were just starting this WIP? *very impressed* Smile We'll keep nagging you to get to chapter 10 lol.

I have four ideas that I've written at lease a thousand word in each (that's how I get my ideas down Smile) I haven't decided which one I'm going to do after this one though. Two are paranormal. One is either going to be paranormal or fantasy (I'm not sure which category it would fall in) and the last one is a contemporary. But I'm not sure which one would be the best to do next because they're all such interesting ideas and completely different than what I'm doing now and they're completely different from each other. *sigh* I suppose it could be worse, I could be stuck with no ideas of what to do next.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:42 pm

LOL! Thanks. It feels like a week ago, but it has at least been a month. Even longer since I first got the idea and started world building. Razz

Wow! I'm kinda jealous. That's awesome to have four ideas! SO much better than none! I have been in the position of not knowing what the heck I'll write next. At least your troubles are choosing which sounds perfect to do next. ^^ Good luck with all of them! And I hope I'll get to read at least one? Wink
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Sarah wrote:That Japanese project sounded really cool! I always love to read about those cultures because they're so different than mine. (hmm, I can't remember but wasn't it you who said you where learning Japanese, or was that Russian *thinks harder*)

Wow! 65k?! (I think that's how much it is, I was too lazy to go find a calculator Wink) even if it's a little less than that though that is still amazing! My WIP tend to always end at around 55k so I'm seriously in awe of people who can write so much more than that, and you have like 20k more!!! That's just awesome! I hope you get to write a lot soon!
Yeah, I'm uber excited for the Japanese project--it came to me almost fully formed in a crazy awesome dream, but alas, it must wait. I have about eight books a lot farther along that need my attentions first. I might work on it every now and then when I need a break from my other endeavors.

And I think my WIP's at approx. 84.5k right now, but yeah, there's still over 20k left to complete. I have almost all the chapters outlined in bare-bones format, but that's more of a sign that I'm bored than anything--I never outline. I just got stuck in this one scene halfway into Ch 16 that's supposed to be exciting, but because this scene is so close to the original(it's a rewrite), I'm having a hard time keeping up enthusiasm for it. But I'll get there eventually. Laughing

*I'm learning Russian, and I want to learn Japanese. I probably won't end up doing it, but you never know. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Lizzy wrote:LOL! Thanks. It feels like a week ago, but it has at least been a month. Even longer since I first got the idea and started world building. Razz

Wow! I'm kinda jealous. That's awesome to have four ideas! SO much better than none! I have been in the position of not knowing what the heck I'll write next. At least your troubles are choosing which sounds perfect to do next. ^^ Good luck with all of them! And I hope I'll get to read at least one? Wink

Wow, it really feels like only a week! It soo can't be a month! It was one or two years after I got the idea that I wrote my WIP (well, the first one not the sequel) Smile

I know they keep popping in my head, I have at least one or two more but those four are the best. I would love for you to read more of the story you critiqued before but I don't want you too feel like you have to (especially if you have a lot of work, cause trust me, I know how that is!)
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Amanda wrote:
Sarah wrote:That Japanese project sounded really cool! I always love to read about those cultures because they're so different than mine. (hmm, I can't remember but wasn't it you who said you where learning Japanese, or was that Russian *thinks harder*)

Yeah, I'm uber excited for the Japanese project--it came to me almost fully formed in a crazy awesome dream, but alas, it must wait. I have about eight books a lot farther along that need my attentions first. I might work on it every now and then when I need a break from my other endeavors.

And I think my WIP's at approx. 84.5k right now, but yeah, there's still over 20k left to complete. I have almost all the chapters outlined in bare-bones format, but that's more of a sign that I'm bored than anything--I never outline. I just got stuck in this one scene halfway into Ch 16 that's supposed to be exciting, but because this scene is so close to the original(it's a rewrite), I'm having a hard time keeping up enthusiasm for it. But I'll get there eventually. Laughing

*I'm learning Russian, and I want to learn Japanese. I probably won't end up doing it, but you never know. Smile

First, can I say I love the word uber. That's like really random, but I really do. I heard it a few weeks ago and now I see that word everywhere haha.

I was off by a lot Embarassed but that is amazing! If they gave gold stickers for writing you would totally get one! (again random, but hey, random stuff is the best stuff Very Happy) maybe if you took a break from the story and tried writing a different one for a while then it would be interesting again (I understand sometimes it's not as easy as that, when I'm that close to be finished I'll keep going even if I don't want to)

I wish I could learn russian, it seems like such an interesting language! Japanese would be cool to learn too but it would take forever!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 am

Uber is an amazing word! lol. I have made extra progress in the project that I'm not supposed to be working on. I'm just really trying to focus on the one, because I'm hoping to get this novel done by the end of April, for various reasons. I'll have to write like 3/4 of a chapter, at least, per week in order to reach that. And I might. I really hope I will. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am

Amanda wrote:Uber is an amazing word! lol. I have made extra progress in the project that I'm not supposed to be working on. I'm just really trying to focus on the one, because I'm hoping to get this novel done by the end of April, for various reasons. I'll have to write like 3/4 of a chapter, at least, per week in order to reach that. And I might. I really hope I will. Smile

It really is! Lol. That's pretty much sums up what I'm doing. I've made some extra progress in a project I'm supposed to be saving for summer, but I'm supposed to be working on the one I'm doing now. I want to have mine done by the end of April too. April support group!!! Lol. I hope you finish it in April too! Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Sarah wrote:It really is! Lol. That's pretty much sums up what I'm doing. I've made some extra progress in a project I'm supposed to be saving for summer, but I'm supposed to be working on the one I'm doing now. I want to have mine done by the end of April too. April support group!!! Lol. I hope you finish it in April too! Very Happy
April support group! lol. That's awesome. Let's do it. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum