Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From HIS perspective.

+3
Maggie
Amanda
Shahira
7 posters

Go down

From HIS perspective. Empty From HIS perspective.

Post  Shahira Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Has anyone written a novel from the guy's perspective? If so, was it easy? Difficult?

I was just thinking about this earlier because I really want to. I just don't know if I should since, obviously, I'm a girl & I don't know exactly how guys think lol.

What does everyone think?
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

From HIS perspective. Empty Re: From HIS perspective.

Post  Amanda Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm

I have two POV characters who are guys in my current project. Like anything in writing, it takes a lot of practice, and the first results are, more often than not, terrible. So it's not easy, but it is doable.

The only advice I have is to read a lot of books in a male perspective, written by dudes, because they obviously know what they're talking about when it comes to the male mind. Observe dudes in real life. And then really make that character solid in your head, all their likes and dislikes, their strengths, weaknesses, and faults. Make him human first, and then a guy. And don't make him a wimp/wuss, unless that's what you're going for. I think that's it. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:44 am

I've written a bunch of short stories with a guy as a main character... it was just a something-to-write-while-I'm-not-writing thing, though. I had serious writer's block at the time. I couldn't think of any story to write, so I built his world and wrote a bunch in it.

I wasn't any good though, I don't think. I just wrote him like I figure that guys think and act, and from what I've read. Really the only books I've read with a believable guy character is Harry Potter, and I only think it's believable because I'm not a guy. Laughing

I guess Amanda's right. Read a lot of it? Maybe read (if you can find it) what it was like for JK to write a boy MC all that time?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 pm

@Amanda "Make him human first, and then a guy. And don't make him a wimp/wuss, unless that's what you're going for. I think that's it." <-- haha point taken! No wusses. Smile I'm definitely thinking it'd take a lot of practice. I've just been tired of doing the same old stuff lately so I think it'd be cool to try something totally different. Smile

@Lizzy Good idea! I'll try doing some research on JK Rowling. Smile I don't know if this is something I'd end up getting far with but why not try, right? lol
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 pm

I also agree with Amanda on making the guy human first. Believe it or not, we guys ARE human.

I think Amanda and Lizzy have pretty much covered it all. I'd advise you to try writing lots of (very short) short stories to practice. Perhaps show some scenes you've written in male POV to guys and ask them what they think of it.
Matthew
Matthew
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.matthewdodwell.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 pm

@Scribbler "I also agree with Amanda on making the guy human first. Believe it or not, we guys ARE human."

OMG, really?!? I knew it! Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 pm

@Scribbler Thanks for the advice. Smile Having a guy read it is a good idea.

Who would've thought they're human? SOmetimes, they sure don't act like it..haha
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 am

Shahira wrote:
Who would've thought they're human? SOmetimes, they sure don't act like it..haha

*chuckles*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:51 pm

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said. (The JK Rowling research sounds fun!)

My first protagonist ever was a guy--the short story that turned into the never-ending story in ninth grade. But it wasn't close third-person. Like, there wasn't a whole lot of introspection going on--just a couple of "witty" thoughts here and there--so I think I did reasonably well…maybe. I didn't get laughed out of the classroom, anyway. Plus, I based him off of an already existing character (Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender series.) He was written by guys, so I had the advantage of knowing pretty much what his reaction would be for everything. Very Happy
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:38 pm

LOL.
Er, yeah. I have written guys' perspectives before. Actually, I prefer a guy's perspective, lol. It just seems so much more fun and interesting. Almost like I'm delving into another world. lol, though I'm probably better at writing from a girls' POV. My last novel alternated between a girls' and guys' POVs. Much fun.

Yeah, well, as others have said, you definitely have to know how a guy thinks in order to write from their perspective. I have some guy friends, so I am aware of the way they act and feel and react. In fact, there's a good blog post about this sort of thing, darn where is it. Gahh! I can't find it, sorry. Sad If I remember correctly, the female writer said that when she wrote something, readers commented that the boy was too nice. For example, when a guy falls on his face, his guy friends will usually laugh first, not ask if they are hurt or okay.

Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:37 pm

@Renee Basing him off of another character probably made it a lot easier. Smile Do you work on that story now?

@Maya I think it'd be a lot more fun as well. Sometimes I feel like I can relate to guys more than I can to girls lol.
If you ever come across the blog, do let me know please. Smile

Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Shahira wrote:@Renee Basing him off of another character probably made it a lot easier. Smile Do you work on that story now?
It did. Smile And yes, that's my current story. But, as with most things, it only started out that way. He's a lot different now--decided to mature and develop a subplot behind my back. Razz
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

This is an old topic––but I wanted to add my two cents.
When I first tried to write a guy's POV, I did it in 1st person. Yeah... Everyone that read it said he sounded like a girl. When I rewrote it in 3rd, it was MUCH more believable.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Writing in 3rd person probably would make a difference. I'm going to try it. :] Thanks!
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum