Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Typing vs. handwriting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm

I think I know what most of you will answer to this. How do you prefer to write stories? How about writing other things like journals or poems? Do you like writing by hand at all? Are you a fast typer/typist?

For me, I LOVE to type. I type pretty fast and I enjoy it. Naturally, I write all my novels on the computer and type them. It makes it easier to read, makes writing faster, and editing easier.

However, I do keep daily journals of my life. I write those by hand because I like to look back and watch how my handwriting changes as I grow older. Even so, I still hate writing by hand. My hand cramps and I always can't wait until I'm done writing.

What about you?

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Sarah on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Same here Smile typing ftw!

I keep a journal but I type it. I probably wouldn't keep one if I didn't type it because I really hate handwriting stuff that much. I love typing, it relaxes me Smile
avatar
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 905
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Same here about handwriting! I just have this thing that it will be "so cool to look at my 14-year-old-handwriting when I'm older!" Well, I'm older, and I still don't like trying to read sloppily-written words I wrote two years ago. Razz Oh well. I'm devoted, I guess!

I need to copy my journals online though. It's a much safer way to store my words! Wink

Do you journal every day?

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Renée on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am

I like typing for writing in general, but if it's a new story idea or a synopsis/note, I'll play around with it on lined paper. Preferably with a flowing pen--I really like how it looks. Smile I organize everything on paper, then transfer it to the computer if necessary, because sometimes my eyes don't want to look at a back-lit computer screen. And yeah…I don't journal at all. I tried once and failed. Very Happy
avatar
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 24
Location : Alaska

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am

I know what you mean about looking at a computer, Renee. I wish I didn't hate hand-writing so much -- it seems so much more writerly! -- but typing is just faster, easier and it helps me keep everything in one place.

I store my stuff online in Google Docs so I can access it from any computer, anywhere that there's internet. That's a big deal for me. ^^

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Sarah on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:46 am

Lizzy wrote:Same here about handwriting! I just have this thing that it will be "so cool to look at my 14-year-old-handwriting when I'm older!" Well, I'm older, and I still don't like trying to read sloppily-written words I wrote two years ago. Razz Oh well. I'm devoted, I guess!

I need to copy my journals online though. It's a much safer way to store my words! Wink

Do you journal every day?

Lol, very devoted!

I journal everyday, I just started it last year and I already love looking back and reading some of the stuff that I wrote Smile
avatar
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 905
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Shahira on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:10 pm

I definitely love typing when I'm noveling. But like Renee, I like to brainstorm & play with ideas in my moleskin. Also, with a nice, flowing pen. Very Happy

I've been keeping a journal/diary for a few years now. I have my days when I totally ignore it. Sometimes even for months at a time but I always go back to it. I love journaling then going back to see what I wrote. Smile Not going to lie, I actually kind of named my diary too. Embarassed

I do love to hand-write things though. I write in cursive so it kind of flows for me &I find it kind of fun. Instead of doodling when I'm bored in class I write my name or like a lyric from a song. Smile
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Sarah wrote:
Lol, very devoted!

I journal everyday, I just started it last year and I already love looking back and reading some of the stuff that I wrote Smile

I love it too. The only thing is I end up writing very little sometimes because I hate writing by hand so much. I'm sure I'd write way more about my feelings if I journaled online, but I can't make myself switch. Sad

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Shahira wrote:I definitely love typing when I'm noveling. But like Renee, I like to brainstorm & play with ideas in my moleskin. Also, with a nice, flowing pen. Very Happy

I've been keeping a journal/diary for a few years now. I have my days when I totally ignore it. Sometimes even for months at a time but I always go back to it. I love journaling then going back to see what I wrote. Smile Not going to lie, I actually kind of named my diary too. Embarassed

I do love to hand-write things though. I write in cursive so it kind of flows for me &I find it kind of fun. Instead of doodling when I'm bored in class I write my name or like a lyric from a song. Smile

I will skip for days at a time sometimes and I'm always ticked with myself when I do because I can never remember what I did a few days ago to record it. Shocked

Aww, LOL, what did you name it? ^^ If you don't mind sharing... I go through so many journals I don't have time to name them all. I did put a sticker of Jack Sparrow on the front of one of my journals once and got into the habit of kissing it before I journaled every night. Embarassed

My cursive is terrible or I might enjoy it more. I write like a seven-year-old when I'm writing cursive. I print when I write. Sometimes sloppily, but it's printing all the same.

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Stephen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:32 pm

I write a lot when I'm not at home so it is easier to have a little book to write ideas, poems and other things Very Happy
avatar
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland, Luxembourg, France it depends xD

http://scitteraire.sitew.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm

@Stephen That's cool! I need to carry something like that around. I always have brainstorms when I'm on the road and such and never have anywhere to write them. Crying or Very sad

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Sarah on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Lol, very devoted!

I journal everyday, I just started it last year and I already love looking back and reading some of the stuff that I wrote Smile

I love it too. The only thing is I end up writing very little sometimes because I hate writing by hand so much. I'm sure I'd write way more about my feelings if I journaled online, but I can't make myself switch. Sad

Do you journal everyday? If you do maybe you could try writing it online every other day. So,you still get to see your handwriting, but at the same time writing online will make it so you write more so you'll have more of your life written down. Smile
avatar
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 905
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Shahira on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm

@Lizzy I hate not writing daily for that same reason. It's just that, by the time I get into bed, it's already so late & I'm exhausted.

Okay, so don't laugh. But when Plain White Tee's song 'Hey There Delilah' came out I was OBSESSED with it. &I just started writing 'Hey there Delilah,' at the tops of my journal entries because I felt like I was writing to someone & not just talking to myself like a nut job lol.. Embarassed I guess in a way she's my imaginary friend which, wow, sounds lame since I'm not 6 anymore. Embarassed

I sometimes write print too but the problem is that I can't stand my handwriting that way. I've always wanted that bubbly, nice, girly handwriting but my print just looks sloppy. My cursive definitely looks a lot nicer, even though that's also hard to read since I mash everything together lol.

@Stephen I keep a little notebook with me too. Smile
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Maggie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Shahira wrote:@Lizzy I hate not writing daily for that same reason. It's just that, by the time I get into bed, it's already so late & I'm exhausted.

Okay, so don't laugh. But when Plain White Tee's song 'Hey There Delilah' came out I was OBSESSED with it. &I just started writing 'Hey there Delilah,' at the tops of my journal entries because I felt like I was writing to someone & not just talking to myself like a nut job lol.. Embarassed I guess in a way she's my imaginary friend which, wow, sounds lame since I'm not 6 anymore. Embarassed

I sometimes write print too but the problem is that I can't stand my handwriting that way. I've always wanted that bubbly, nice, girly handwriting but my print just looks sloppy. My cursive definitely looks a lot nicer, even though that's also hard to read since I mash everything together lol.

@Stephen I keep a little notebook with me too. Smile

That's not silly at all! You don't have to be 6 to have an imaginary friend. I think that's a writerly thing. ^^ LOL I love it.

And I know what you mean about it getting late and you're exhausted. Happens to me all the time. Sad

________________________________________
"If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams." ~Terri Guillemets

--Maggie--
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 23

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Stephen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 pm

I really like the song hey there Delilah Smile
avatar
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland, Luxembourg, France it depends xD

http://scitteraire.sitew.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Shahira on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm

@Lizzy That's true. I mean, we talk to our characters all the time. Laughing
&yeah, I wish I wouldn't do that. I think it's important to write things so you don't forget.

@Stephen I'm still so in love with the song. Smile &even the name. You'd figure I'd name one of my characters that but I haven't yet. Laughing
avatar
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Typing vs. handwriting

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum