Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Wednesday :)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Happy Wednesday :) Empty Happy Wednesday :)

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Anyone doing anything cool today or this week? Get any writing done? Or read any good books?

This week is my spring break and I'm spending it being lazy Very Happy I'm hoping to go the library tomorrow and write at least 1k tonight Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Happy Wednesday :) Empty Re: Happy Wednesday :)

Post  Amanda Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I wish my Spring Break was this week...alas, it was almost a month ago now. Sad But! Good news! I wrote 1k this morning/last night, which finally brought Ch 16 to a close! Four chapters left! Very Happy I hope to write more tonight(plus cut at least 300 words of the scene I just finished), after some more progress in my online classes and stuff. Smile The day has a lot more hours when you wake up at like 7, you know? lol, I had to get up to take the trash to the curb, and I just decided to stay up, even though I'd gotten about five hours of sleep. Tea and exercise are keeping me going. Sleep
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Woohoo! I'll send you virtual cake once you're finished!!! Oooh and that means that you might finish in April! Yay! Wow you're getting a ton done! I don't even know how you manage to get up at seven, I don't even get up until 8 on a good day (thankgoodenss for homeschooling) I remember when I used to go to regular school, I had to get up a little after five and the days did seem longer. Hopefully you'll get some more sleep tonight. Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Ah, I long for the days when getting up early meant no earlier than 8:50. I agree with you on the homeschooling, Sarah. Definitely better for those of us that love sleep. Alas... No more. I get up at 6 every morning, and 8:30 on weekends(if I'm lucky). Shocked

Anyway. I made bulgogi today! It was amazing! *swoon* Mmmm....
And I'm about to write... At least 500 words, hopefully 1k.
Other than that, nothing exciting. But writing is always exciting, so... That's enough for me Smile
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 pm

@WriteSpinner Were you home schooled before? I can't believe you have to get up at 6 every morning *shudders* I'm still super tired when I have to wake up at 8. Why don't you sleep in on weekends?

What's bulgogi?
I hope you get to write a lot!! What genre do you write? lol, I agree, writing is very exciting Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

@Sarah I was; I graduated a couple months ago. *cheers*
I'm staying with my sister for the semester, and I have to get up at 6 to help get her kids ready for school. And trying to sleep in with two sets of small pounding feet running through the house, or voices trying to talk over each other in make-believe games... Well, it's a miracle if I manage to stay asleep for an hour after the boys are up. Razz

Bulgogi: delicious Korean-style grilled/broiled beef. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (And mine actually looked like that! Very Happy)

Fantasy(contemp or epic), and a few sci-fi stories. The one I'm working on right now is contemporary fantasy... I think I might want to set it in an alternate timeline.
What about you? What's your genre?
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

@Sarah--haha, I'm definitely not getting finished by the end of April, though 1k is really good, considering all I've had going on. Smile Third week of May is looking the most likely for a finish date. Four chapters is 22,000 words, and I have a little over 3/4 of a semester in one class, and 2/5's of a semester in another class to finish by April 29th. Along with my two college classes and lessons and Rosetta Stone Russian that I never do...heh. It's serious crunch time. Shocked I hate procrastinating, and I would fix the problem, but I keep putting it off... Rolling Eyes

@WriteSpinner--6...I have great sympathy for you. I usually sleep in till after ten, sometimes even till one. I'm working on moving it up to a consistent 9 at the very least, but that requires going to bed on time, which I have a hard time doing, with my special combination of insomnia and the fact that I didn't wake up early enough to go to sleep at that time...*sigh* It's a vicious cycle. No

Bulgogi sounds awesome! And those are some great genres. Smile All my favorites--well, as long as it's soft sci-fi. I end up getting bored when the author is so impressed with their genius that they must share every single detail of the futuristic machinery they've created. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 pm

@Amanda, I have great sympathy for me too. xD I'm not a morning person at ALL.
I don't have insomnia, but I can understand the vicious cycle. If I go to bed late, I take a nap the next day(usually in the afternoon, cause that's when I have time), and then I stay up late again... It's horrid.

Oh, goodness. Soft sci-fi, definitely. I don't even read hard sci-fi––I like that kind of thing in shows, where they can use more than words, but in reading... Ick. Nope, my sci-fi is softer than a delicious, chewy chocolate chip cookie! (...But probably not as good. 'Cause let's face it, what could possibly be better than a DCCCC?)
They're my favorite, too. I'll read other genres, but I search for books in those three. Smile
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 pm

@Amanda Wow! I was thinking four chapters was like 10k at the most. That's a lot! You have soo much going on, I cant believe you have to do all that before April 29th! I would have started freaking out weeks ago!

@WriteSpinner You're 16, right? And you've graduated? Lucky! I'm almost 16 and I have two more years left of that torture! Yeah, you won't get any sleep with two kids running around the house Smile, hopefully you'll be able to sleep in during the summer since you won't have to help them get ready school.

Ooh I've had that before! Its soo good, and that looks delicious!!! Now I'm really hungry lol.

I love fantasy! What's the difference between contemporary and epic?

I write paranormal Very Happy but no vampires or werewolves (mostly because I would never be able to think up a brand new spin on the idea) I like to make up new creatures Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 pm

@Sarah: Yeah, I'm sixteen. I think mostly, I'm only graduated because I've never had much of a social life to speak of, and Mom always had me and my siblings do school through the summer.
And if it makes you feel any better, I'm not completely home free. Mom makes me do a HORRIBLE writing course still(No, really, it is evil. If ever there was something that would make me hate writing, this would be it. But it's okay, cause even if I hate it, at least I'll be able to write good, right? Ugh. Evil or Very Mad ), and I take CLEP tests periodically. So the torture has yet to end, despite the diploma. Razz
Oh, summer... *longs for it* Yeah, I'll be going back home, so I'll get sleep. Very Happy

Contemporary is set in modern day(Harry Potter), epic is the swords & sorcerers type(Lord of The Rings).

I like paranormal(mythical creatures are right up my ally), but most that I find is romance, and some of it makes me uncomfortable. Neutral So, I usually steer clear unless someone specifically suggests something to me.
But new creatures? Sweet! Like what? Sharktopuses?
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 pm

@WriteSpinner School during the summer?!?! I'll suffer through another two years of highschool in silence now lol. I feel so bad for you having to take a writing course. I love writing but for some reason I can't stand writing classes. Why is she making you take it? What are CLEP tests? Yay for sleeping in! I bet you're counting down the days.

Oooh, I get it now. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure, thanks Very Happy

Paranormal does tend to have a lot of romance in it. The only one that I've read that only hints at it (until the third book) is the Summoning by Kelley Armstrong, which was really good and one of the books that inspired me to write paranormal Smile.

Sharktopuses? lol, now that would be interesting. I don't go that crazy but definitely new cool creatures Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

@Sarah, Glad I could give you some perspective on school. Wink
She wants me to improve my writing, which is all good and well, but I don't want to improve it at the expense of my sanity and love of writing. :/
CLEP stands for College Level Examination Preparation(or something like that). Basically, you can take a CLEP test for college credits, then you don't have to take the actual class. It's more wallet-friendly, time-friendly, and sanity-friendly. It means I can skip college algebra(YAAAY!!! ...If I can pass the test Shocked ). You can get a whole year of college out of the way with CLEP tests if you want. It's pretty awesome.

I've seen that one, but I'd never actually picked it up. I guess I'll have to go find it now. Smile I like romance, but I don't like... risqué scenes(especially if they have no purpose that helps along the plot). They tick me off more than anything. Mad

Lol. Yeah, I can't see being able to do much with sharktopuses. I like using creatures that are a little less common(it gives me leg room, so to speak), but I don't usually try to make my own up. I commend you. Very Happy
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 am

@WriteSpinner -- Good luck with your CLEP's! I really hope I can pass the college algebra test--that would be awesome. No more math...for the rest of my life.... Shocked

And what you said about TMI romance scenes--do I ever agree with you! (Yes.) I'll be reading this lovely paranormal, and then the author's all like, oh, I have to stick a graphic scene in here to keep the shallow people interested. Irritates me to no end. I usually skip it, and I won't recommend books when they stoop to that level.
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 am

@Renee lol. That's how I view it... no more math would be like... ooooooh, so amazing....

Yeah. And it's not always just paranormals(though most are). Sometimes it happens with fantasies too. I haaate them!! Completely ruins a good book for me. Neutral
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:08 am

*reads through the conversation*

I missed it. ^^

It's not Wednesday anymore, but I had a crazy day. Ran errands, did heaps of Algebra, mostly, and other homework. Then had my treat of the day and watched Tangled. I ADORED it! But 0 writing. Sad

Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am

Tangled! I've been wanting to see that.
Oh, I got 1k done, at the expense of sleep... Sleep I was just about to go make myself some coffee.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am

Haha, and I'm just about to make myself tea! But not to wake me up, but rather wake my brain up. It's rebelling right now because of all the Algebra I'm putting it through.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:25 am

WriteSpinner wrote:@Sarah, Glad I could give you some perspective on school. Wink
She wants me to improve my writing, which is all good and well, but I don't want to improve it at the expense of my sanity and love of writing. :/
CLEP stands for College Level Examination Preparation(or something like that). Basically, you can take a CLEP test for college credits, then you don't have to take the actual class. It's more wallet-friendly, time-friendly, and sanity-friendly. It means I can skip college algebra(YAAAY!!! ...If I can pass the test Shocked ). You can get a whole year of college out of the way with CLEP tests if you want. It's pretty awesome.

I've seen that one, but I'd never actually picked it up. I guess I'll have to go find it now. Smile I like romance, but I don't like... risqué scenes(especially if they have no purpose that helps along the plot). They tick me off more than anything. Mad

Lol. Yeah, I can't see being able to do much with sharktopuses. I like using creatures that are a little less common(it gives me leg room, so to speak), but I don't usually try to make my own up. I commend you. Very Happy

At least summer is almost here, then you'll be done with that class, right? Very Happy
I have to look into those! That would be so awesome to just take a test and get credits for it!!

It was really good! You should definitely give it a try! And I agree with you, I really hate it when writers just place a romance scene in the middle of the book for no reason. But that goes back to my issue with movies where the guy and the girl start kissing while they are in the middle of being shot/chased. It's like, wow, you probably would have made it there a lot easier if you didn't stop to make out. And seriously, who does that which being chased/shot. lol

Thank you Very Happy I have a hard time putting a new spin on old creatures so making them up just works for me.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 am

@Lizzy, I loved tangled!! Except (and this is super shallow) I was really mad about him cutting her hair sooo short. Because first, I thought she looked a lot better with long hair, and second her hair doesn't grow back after being cut. LOL, it bugged me for the rest of the movie.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

@Lizzy I'd make tea if we had any black. But, no, we have to have only the type that makes me go to sleep. O.o
And I feel for your brain––algebra is evil. Shocked

@Sarah One can only hope. There are more sets of books(like, 4 more sets pale ), but I'm trying to convince Mom to let me do something else instead. I even offered to start getting my degree via online-college! What? Me, desperate? What would make you think that? Razz

...I've never really thought about that, but I can see your point. Kissing in the middle of running away from something––it's like they're asking to get caught.
Now, kissing when hiding, that's different. Especially if where they're hiding is kinda tight. Razz

The only type of 'creatures' I make up are humans that shape-shift into creatures. I'm so original. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am

@WriteSpinner that's awful! I hope she lets you stop taking the classes!

LOL, that's exactly what I mean. I recently just saw a movie where the two people started kissing while being shot at and I was like, righhhhht like that would actually happen. But hiding is a different story Razz

LOL, but those a the most fun creatures. It shifting shapes and your like "oh its a werewolf" and then it finished and viola it's actually a shark! Okay, maybe not a shark but something really cool (that doesn't need water Smile)
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

@Sarah Me too! I'll let you know if she does Razz

Yeah... I don't like it when people do unrealistic things in movies like that. I'm usually pretty accepting of stuff that takes a little imagination, but sometimes it just doesn't work for me... Like in this martial arts movie, a chick got up three different times after having her arm broken. That I can accept. Her using the arm again like nothing had happened to it, not so much.
Stuff like that gets a major eye-roll from me.

Hehe. So true, so true. I guess I just don't like shape-shifting into the more common animals. One of my stories has a shape-shifter that's a dog. Rolling Eyes I'd use some other animal, but that's one of very few animals that would really work for the storyline.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Sarah wrote:@Lizzy, I loved tangled!! Except (and this is super shallow) I was really mad about him cutting her hair sooo short. Because first, I thought she looked a lot better with long hair, and second her hair doesn't grow back after being cut. LOL, it bugged me for the rest of the movie.
Not super shallow, because I agree. Razz My Disney princesses must have hair that falls at least to their shoulder blades. Rolling Eyes
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:25 pm

@WriteSpinner lol, I've seen stuff like that all the time, isn't it so funny?! It would be soo easy for them to make it look realistic so I don't understand why they do stupid stuff like that.

Oooh that sounds soo cool! Is that the were-y story?

@Amanda Same here. I can't stand when they give the princesses short hair. I really wish they kept a little of the length on her lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Amanda wrote:
Sarah wrote:@Lizzy, I loved tangled!! Except (and this is super shallow) I was really mad about him cutting her hair sooo short. Because first, I thought she looked a lot better with long hair, and second her hair doesn't grow back after being cut. LOL, it bugged me for the rest of the movie.
Not super shallow, because I agree. Razz My Disney princesses must have hair that falls at least to their shoulder blades. Rolling Eyes

Ditto to both those things! I did NOT like when he cut her hair SO short! Of all the lengths, he could have cut it anywhere! That bugged me, haha.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next