Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your current WIP?

+4
Shahira
DianaIlinca
LeeMandel
Maggie
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's your current WIP? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your current WIP?

Post  AWriterGoneMad Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I never read Eragon. But I read Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke in 6th grade when I was bored, ha ha.
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.thenotsodailydiariesofawritergonemad.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Lizzy wrote:It totally influenced my writing too! I can't tell you how badly I wanted to write a dragon book or have a dragon after that. But even more I wanted an elf with long, black hair. tongue
Haha, I just thought of something--my MC also has long black hair...I wonder where that came from... Well, that's probably from Lirael, but still. I can have two inspirations, right? Smile

AWriterGoneMad wrote:I never read Eragon. But I read Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke in 6th grade when I was bored, ha ha.
I tried to read Dragon Rider a few years ago, but I couldn't get through it. I'm not sure why--it's probably better-written than Eragon.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 pm

AWriterGoneMad wrote:I never read Eragon. But I read Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke in 6th grade when I was bored, ha ha.

*agrees with Amanda* I'll bet it is so much better written then Eragon. Probably the real deal. Do the dragons talk to their riders? They do in Eragon. That idea appealed to me too. I want a blue dragon who talks to me and just me. Wink
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am

@Lizzy & LeeMandel Thanks so much for that. Smile I'll definitely get some stuff together for you guys to read.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am

Please do! My email is on my profile and my twitter and everywhere. Looking forward to it!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

Okay, I'll try to email you some tonight. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 am

Yay! I'll get them tomorrow first thing. *looking forward to it*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:36 am

Just to let you know, it's the first draft of the novel so it may be a load of crap lol. But you can be totally honest. Smile It still needs a lot of editing but I really need someone with writing experience to read & critique it.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  DianaIlinca Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 am

@Lizzy and LeeMandel, thank you ^_^ (from yesterday lol!)

Oh, dragon talk! I picked up Eragon last year, I think. It moved too slow for me in the beginning but, still, I loved it. What's more is that I have the greatest respect for Christopher Paolini. I've never had such adoration for a writer until he came along just because he doesn't seem to take "being famous" like most people would. He's not snotty, like some other authors I know. Not only that but it was never about him; it was always about the story. He just wanted to share his world. He was nineteen, so I wouldn't say he was experienced enough to really realize that the book wasn't ready to publish but, he took the step and was successful nonetheless. We all hope for success Smile

I finished my own dragon novel and am getting ready to query. I've always loved dragons. I can thank Bruce Coville for that lol anyone ever read, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher? hahaha, that got me stuck on fantasy xD Then I read Vivian Vande Velde's Dragon's Bait and got sucked into it even more!
DianaIlinca
DianaIlinca

http://www.dianailinca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:47 am

DianaIlinca wrote:@Lizzy and LeeMandel, thank you ^_^ (from yesterday lol!)

Oh, dragon talk! I picked up Eragon last year, I think. It moved too slow for me in the beginning but, still, I loved it. What's more is that I have the greatest respect for Christopher Paolini. I've never had such adoration for a writer until he came along just because he doesn't seem to take "being famous" like most people would. He's not snotty, like some other authors I know. Not only that but it was never about him; it was always about the story. He just wanted to share his world. He was nineteen, so I wouldn't say he was experienced enough to really realize that the book wasn't ready to publish but, he took the step and was successful nonetheless. We all hope for success Smile

I finished my own dragon novel and am getting ready to query. I've always loved dragons. I can thank Bruce Coville for that lol anyone ever read, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher? hahaha, that got me stuck on fantasy xD Then I read Vivian Vande Velde's Dragon's Bait and got sucked into it even more!

I agree about Cristopher Paolini. I was absolutely inspired by him as a kid because he brought hope to me. If he could get his work published so could I! But I didn't realize he'd self-published at the time. No

Good luck querying! I haven't read either of those books but I confess I love dragons as much as some people love vampires, so I'll have to look those up.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Lizzy wrote:
DianaIlinca wrote:@Lizzy and LeeMandel, thank you ^_^ (from yesterday lol!)

I agree about Cristopher Paolini. I was absolutely inspired by him as a kid because he brought hope to me. If he could get his work published so could I! But I didn't realize he'd self-published at the time. No

Good luck querying! I haven't read either of those books but I confess I love dragons as much as some people love vampires, so I'll have to look those up.

Yeah, I definitely have respect for Christopher Paolini--he gave me hope that I could get published, even if I was young. I started my first serious novel around the time I read Eragon. It was a real inspiration in a 'you-can-do-it' way. Very Happy Then I came back and reread it about two years later, and began to see the flaws.

There's not so much wrong with it that a red pen couldn't fix. The characters are there, and the plot's there, usually. The purple prose needs to be axed, and after that, there needs to be some sort of humor. That was my main problem. The few times his characters laughed, I wondered why--the jokes weren't funny. *sigh* Sometimes I wish I were one of the editors back when he first got accepted at Knopf. So many more people would have enjoyed a cleaner version...
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah, I definitely have respect for Christopher Paolini--he gave me hope that I could get published, even if I was young. I started my first serious novel around the time I read Eragon. It was a real inspiration in a 'you-can-do-it' way. Then I came back and reread it about two years later, and began to see the flaws.

There's not so much wrong with it that a red pen couldn't fix. The characters are there, and the plot's there, usually. The purple prose needs to be axed, and after that, there needs to be some sort of humor. That was my main problem. The few times his characters laughed, I wondered why--the jokes weren't funny. *sigh* Sometimes I wish I were one of the editors back when he first got accepted at Knopf. So many more people would have enjoyed a cleaner version...

I totally agree. He had potential, Eragon just wasn't ready. Because you know he did something right if it appealed to so many kids, you know?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Whoo! Eragon? Yeah, I know what people mean when they say it is a badly written book that rips off of other stories *cough* LOTR *cough*, but I still love the books. I read them in 6th-7th grade and of course saw nothing wrong with it. To this day, the series still holds a dear place in my heart, yeah, cheesy, but it's true. Paolini also inspired me to keep writing. I'm 15 right now, which was I believe how old he was when he wrote Eragon.

As for myself, I am re-editing my already completed novel and am close to finished. I'm going to be sending it off to some people for external feedback. I actually submitted it to Authoress's Secret Agent Contest last month and I believe it is number 27 if anyone is interested. I find it amusing that the comments are confused with my MC and my setting, though I totally can understand why they would see that. I also find it amusing that they find the style/voice to be old-fashioned, due to my age. But, oh well. Of course, I appreciate those comments and it has revealed to me things I need to consider.

It's called Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden and is basically about a girl who is determined to show these "chauvinistic" boys, so to say, that girls are just, if not equal, better than boys at, well, pretty much anything. So you can see, my FMC is a feminist. So, yeah. Battle of the Genders over at my novel. xP And it's mighty fun because I write from both perspectives, though I suppose I'm a bit biased because I am, well, a girl.

Wow, that was long. I will stop rambling now. silent
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Mayaah wrote:Whoo! Eragon? Yeah, I know what people mean when they say it is a badly written book that rips off of other stories *cough* LOTR *cough*, but I still love the books. I read them in 6th-7th grade and of course saw nothing wrong with it. To this day, the series still holds a dear place in my heart, yeah, cheesy, but it's true. Paolini also inspired me to keep writing. I'm 15 right now, which was I believe how old he was when he wrote Eragon.

As for myself, I am re-editing my already completed novel and am close to finished. I'm going to be sending it off to some people for external feedback. I actually submitted it to Authoress's Secret Agent Contest last month and I believe it is number 27 if anyone is interested. I find it amusing that the comments are confused with my MC and my setting, though I totally can understand why they would see that. I also find it amusing that they find the style/voice to be old-fashioned, due to my age. But, oh well. Of course, I appreciate those comments and it has revealed to me things I need to consider.

It's called Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden and is basically about a girl who is determined to show these "chauvinistic" boys, so to say, that girls are just, if not equal, better than boys at, well, pretty much anything. So you can see, my FMC is a feminist. So, yeah. Battle of the Genders over at my novel. xP And it's mighty fun because I write from both perspectives, though I suppose I'm a bit biased because I am, well, a girl.

I went over to MSFV and read it and I totally like your voice. I would read more. Smile And you got a lot of comments, too!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Mayaah wrote:Whoo! Eragon? Yeah, I know what people mean when they say it is a badly written book that rips off of other stories *cough* LOTR *cough*, but I still love the books. I read them in 6th-7th grade and of course saw nothing wrong with it. To this day, the series still holds a dear place in my heart, yeah, cheesy, but it's true. Paolini also inspired me to keep writing. I'm 15 right now, which was I believe how old he was when he wrote Eragon.

I went over to MSFV and read it and I totally like your voice. I would read more. Smile And you got a lot of comments, too!

Awww...thanks! I'm glad it appealed to you. Smile
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  DianaIlinca Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:40 am

You're right, Mayaah, Paolini was fifteen when he wrote Eragon. It's never, ever too early! I actually started writing my novel when I was thirteen or fourteen and it'll be published in June! If you have the passion and the knowledge to tell stories, do it! And there will be people that will put you down but don't turn an ear to them. Smile, wave and write Smile
DianaIlinca
DianaIlinca

http://www.dianailinca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm

DianaIlinca wrote:You're right, Mayaah, Paolini was fifteen when he wrote Eragon. It's never, ever too early! I actually started writing my novel when I was thirteen or fourteen and it'll be published in June! If you have the passion and the knowledge to tell stories, do it! And there will be people that will put you down but don't turn an ear to them. Smile, wave and write Smile

Whoo! Congrats with your book, I will look out for it! You inspire me, lol.
That's what I tell writers my age and younger, too: don't not write because someone says you're too young and don't have experience because, after all, writing, no matter what age, is the experience. And not to mention, it's fun too. Wink
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 am

Props to CP! Very Happy

My current WIP is a vaguely historical romance, stemming from a short story I wrote for English class in 9th grade. We had to write a story surrounding a law of courtly love, and I wrote mine in a six-hour frenzy of delight, fueled by caffeine and exhaustion jitters. And I spelled the possessive form of "princess" three different ways. Three.

It's loosely based on the Sokka-Yue love from Avatar the Last Airbender, (anyone know what that is?) only Yue doesn't die and…pretty much nothing is the same, except the comic relief is my main character. I can see the connection--it's a tangent.

Anyway, I don't have any delusions of grandeur for my WIP--the idea isn't original at all, and my writing isn't the best--but it's fun, and I'm okay with that. ^_^
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeMandel Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 am

Renee,

Is that the one where the princess "sacrifices" herself to the water gods? (Or something like that). - I watch it with my kids, but I haven't seen them all in order.

Writing is like anything in life - if you practice, you'll get better. Just that you have the passion is the most important part; everything else will fall into place. And if you write in English, there are so many rules and exception to those rules, that you'll never get them all down. Just do what you love - write.

Hugs,
Lee pig (he's cute. How come no frogs?)
Author of "Frog Burgers"
Amazon.com and Barnes&Noble.com, available for Kindle
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
LeeMandel
LeeMandel

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Lee,

Yes, that's the one! She's sacrificed to the moon/water spirits, becoming the moon spirit, and can't be with her love. Sad. I love Avatar--it's one of those rare shows with a good and consistent plot. I've gotten all of my friends addicted, even the reluctant ones. But yeah, the sacrifice doesn't happen in mine--my story has no fantastical elements whatsoever. Very Happy Thanks for the encouragement!
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2