Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

QOTD Wednesday September 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QOTD Wednesday September 7

Post  Maggie on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Is it really the 7th?? REALLY? *coughs* Okay.

QUESTION: Let's talk RELATIONSHIPS! How do you feel about relationships in novels? What's your favorite "kind" to read/write? What can't you stand? What do you love? Do you even write them? Why or why not?

--Maggie--
blog - twitter - facebook
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: QOTD Wednesday September 7

Post  Maggie on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Okay. What do I feel.

First, I'm a romantic, so naturally I like for a novel to have a love story of sorts in it. In fact, it has to be really gripping for me to enjoy it WITHOUT one. Razz However, there is extreme stress on "of sorts". That doesn't mean a novel wrapped around a relationship, because unless that's really, really good, it's an immediate turn off. It means what it says-- I like a novel to have some romance in it.

I don't like perfect boys (in novels!!!), as discussed in the Ask-The-Editor thread. My all-time favorite romances are the "unlikely" ones. Not literally unlikely, just believable, I think is the word I'm searching for. While Katniss and Peeta's (Hunger Games) relationship is not the best in the world (it's Katniss who kills it...) Peeta is just wonderful. He's ideal with the way that he loves her through thick and thin, but yet he's not Edward Cullen. He's stocky. He's not described as gorgeous. And it WORKS for me. He is the sole reason I continued those books.

I don't like heavy romances, either. I like them to be subtle. One or two kisses are good for me, if at all. I'd much rather have the suspense of none, at least throughout the first book of a series, for example. If it's a stand-alone book then, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, make them kiss!! Just don't overdo it.

As far as writing it, I will entwine subtle romance into my novels. By subtle I don't mean nonexistent, I am just limited by my understanding of what it's like to experience romance, because of my personal choices as far as relationships go in real life. But I do love writing it, and it will definitely always be in my stories, though rarely the main focus. I like to have a story outside of romance, because I don't write romance. I write fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian, etc. With romance woven throughout. XD

So yes. That's my very long answer. Smile

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 pm

I agree exactly with everything you said, Maggie. I love subtle romance! My favorite example of this is the Thief/Attolia books by Megan Whalen Turner--they're the epitome of subtle in every conceivable way. ^_^ As for books a little heavier on romance, there must be a main plot that has nothing to do with it--I like my love stories strictly on a subplot level. Fire by Kristin Cashore is a good example of this.

Anyway, since you summed up romance so nicely, I'm going to mention another type of relationship I love--a bromance. (Safari says this isn't a word, but I'mma use it anyway.) I usually use the term 'Frodo & Sam relationship', because theirs is the best friendship I've found so far. Anyway, I really love it when there are two guys who are loyal friends through thick and thin, no matter what's going on or going wrong. It's something that you don't see a lot of--there're a lot of girl-girl best friendships, and guy-girl, but the guy-guy ones are rare for whatever reason. And a lot of times it's these relationships that move me the most.

To apply this to writing, Amanda had a male character whose scenes, while nice, fell a little flat, because he was all on his lonesome and had no one to talk to. So I said, he needs a Sam to his Frodo. And now he does, and it's oh-so-much better. For my writing...well, I'm editing right now, but I do have something of the sort planned, and I'm working on making my romance subtle. Smile

Alright, mini-essay over. Wink
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm

@Renee Oooooh. I never thought about it, but I totally agree! I LOVE Sam & Frodo's relationship, and I tend to forget about guys having guy friends. I'll be thinking about that now. . . . *thinks*

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Taryn on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 am

I don't like romance, but this industry is getting impossible to sell w/o at least something. Even the darkest books I've read lately, like Anna Dressed in Blood, have a romantic subplot. Soooo I find myself writing it even when I don't want to.

That isn't to say I never want to. I really like exploring the bonds between people, or when it's necessary to the plot. For example, in SPLASHBACK, my love interest has a sinister side that basically set the whole plot in motion. And in PLAYING GOD (the original version), there was an abusive relationship of which I loved the dynamic.

It's also fun to take some relationship drama in my own life and play with the way it could work out.

Still, I ADORED Stephanie Perkins' books. (LOLA is even better than ANNA!) Otherwise, I can totally live without romance. Sarah Dessen? Uh-uh. Paranormal romance? So over it.

Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 am

@Taryn *smiles* I enjoyed the romance in Splashback. It wasn't too much. *high fives* I've yet to read this Playing God. Razz

--Maggie--
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am

I agree with y'all, Maggie and Renee. I like romance subplots and I like bromance.
I also like not-quite-friendships. You know, where two people (any gender mixes) don't REALLY get along, but they spend time together anyway, for whatever reason (usually not of their own choice). And they spend their time bickering. Not all-out fights, just small picking-on-each-other's. What I'm not crazy about is when you have a guy and a girl combo and they're like that, then they become love interests. I mean, it *can* be done good, but if it's not clearly explained how they've bonded, then I don't buy the whole "I love you, but I spend all of my time arguing with you just because we don't get along very well".
If this sort of pair becomes best friends, I can understand, because I bicker with one of my best friends all the time; we're nothing alike. But falling in love is just too much of a stretch w/out good character development or some turning event.

As for my writing, I have romances; usually I try to keep them as subplots, but with Gumiho(last book) it definitely leeched over into the main plot. *glares at it* I'll be fixing that.
I don't have many bromances as of yet, but my WIP right now has a possibility for that and I plan on taking full advantage of it. Very Happy
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 am

I NEED romance in my novels whether I'm writing/reading. I even like the super-cheesy overly-dramatic romances. Like Don't Die My Love by Lurlene McDaniel. SO corny but I've read it a million times. Embarassed

Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:47 am

In the novel I am writing there is a relationship between the two main characters, otherwise I haven't ever really disliked any "love story" in a novel Smile
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

http://scitteraire.sitew.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top