Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

I don't want to study!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I don't want to study!

Post  Sarah on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in forever, I blame college.

Anyway, I recently got this awesome, exciting, sparkly, idea for a story and I've been thinking about it nonstop, the problem? It needs so much research. While I could probably write it halfway decent without any research it wouldn't live up to my expectations if I did that. The research in question would actually be pretty interesting if I wasn't spending all my time doing school, so that's not the problem. I just can't make myself give up my free time to do it, but I know that if I want to write this story then the research has to be done *sigh*

Has this happened to anyone? How'd you make yourself suck it up and do the research?
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Re: I don't want to study!

Post  Constance on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Oooh, I hate it when this happens––and it's happened several times to me. I had a story that needed Anastasia research(among many other topics) and I wimped out on it. I've saved it, because I DO want to do it, but...always "later," you know? And I want to write a story based on Joan of Arc sometime, because I think she's awesome, but again, "later." One of these days, I really will write those stories. And when I do, I'll be so proud of myself, because they won't be no cake walk.
I did suck it up and research for Defiance, my NaNo/current novel, but the research for that wasn't hard at all. Just birds, mostly. Razz
My advice? Just do it. You'll enjoy it once you do, and you'll feel very accomplished, which is a great feeling. Very Happy
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Yes! Actually, over Christmas break, I got a brand new story idea that I really wanted to start, but I'm still editing, and still have two MSs w/ about 15k done each. And the setting is in ancient China, though I wasn't sure exactly what time period. I just knew it would be historical fiction, with no fantastical elements. Shocked Anyway, that's a lot of research, just to decide exactly when and where I want to set it, and then lots of research to find all the details I need about that area and time.

So…I took the two-birds-one-stone route and registered for East Asian Civ II at the university. Picking up some credits during my year off, and turning all my research into required study! (I also have a project set in pre-modern Japan, so this is doubly helpful. Smile) Of course, East Asian Civ II is about 1600-present, so not as helpful as it could be. But we did an overview of all the dynasties of China, and are reading supplemental texts that really richen my understanding of the culture. So I've got my time and place mostly figured out, and I research the little things as I go. Very Happy
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 pm

@Amanda -- I find this new story idea both intensely interesting and really terrible, because of said two 15k MSs. Razz
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 am

@Constance—I feel exactly the same way! But I'm pretty much set on starting it up only after I've finished Song of Ariadne & gotten at least halfway through Slavemaster. I will use all my determination to just jot down notes & figure out plot in my head, with NO actual writing. And then I'll allow myself to write it, and it will be glorious, and it will be the third of the three novels I finish this year. Smile
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:36 am

Good plan, Teo! You will totally do it, and it will be totally awesome. Very Happy
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

@Constance Both those story ideas sound amazing! I had to do research on Anastacia for a history project and it felt more like fun than like homework because it was so interesting! But, no good story idea came out of the research. Bird research? Lol, I love the life of a writer, you never know what you're going to need to look up Smile

Thanks for the advice! I know I need to do it and I will because I love the idea, so I just need to suck it up and get it done Very Happy

@Amanda That is a lot of projects! The new story idea sounds really interesting! I've been wanting to read another good book with some Chinese aspects in it since I read "Cinder" (yes, I know it doesn't have a lot of Chinese aspects other than being based there and since it's set in the future and all but I still loved seeing the few that were there).

I wish I could take a college class on the topic I'm researching! That would be just awesome because then I wouldn't be able to put it off. How are you liking the class so far?
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 pm

That's one of the things I'm so excited about—the setting isn't very common in YA, so I've read maybe one or two books with any sort of Asian setting, or even an Asian-based world. It's very interesting to look into all I've been missing to create the story, and the way their society works is very good for the plot I'd already come up with and was just missing the 'why's for. Smile

And the class is extremely fun. Very Happy There's only been four lecture periods, and I have about 24 pages of notes. Shocked So, I think it's fun, but my right hand doesn't. Plus I'm nowhere near ambidextrous, so I've nothing to fall back on if it fails me, lol.
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 am

I agree! I haven't seen many Asian settings in the YA world which makes me love the idea of one even more Very Happy I'm so glad you're loving it and getting that much out of it! I know sometimes it's so easy to feel like it's pointless or that you know even to start writing *cough*me*cough* but all these details and research just make the book amazing! I'm so excited for you!!!

Don't hurt your writing hand!!! (I've always wanted to say that Smile) My grandpa was born left handed but he was born in the time where they thought there was something wrong with people who were left handed so they made them write with their right hands and hit them with rulers if they tried to write with their left. But, now he can write perfectly with both.
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 pm

So I made the terrible mistake of opening this, and instead of answering immediately, just leaving it sitting, as a tab, for the past week....bad Constance, bad! *smacks hand*

@Sarah--Yeah, I think I remember you telling me about that. Smile Anastasia research is pretty awesome. Yup! Birds. Did you know some birds secrete a...oh snap, what's the word? A, uh, venom, I guess, that can immobilize their attackers. That is totally my deus ex machina if I ever need one. Razz
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I do the same thing all the time! And then I miss the whole conversation and just stay quiet tongue

Wow, I didn't know that! *looks suspiciously at random birds outside*
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 pm

So do I, if it's gotten way ahead of me. XD

Lol, don't worry, not all birds. Very select few...I don't remember which. I'd have to look it up. Razz
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

hello

Post  ViolaSheen on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 am

Hello this is a pretty common phenomenon among young people. Not researching! I think the reason you do not want to research is because it is very difficult to find valid resources. You haven’t given the genre of the book that you will be writing on, or I would have given you a resource matching exactly that. Meanwhile you can take a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This can give you an idea on how to write historical novels. You can also see other categories by browsing through the same site. Another good resource is archive.org. Chack them out and see if they help!Smile Smile Smile
ViolaSheen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top