Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest

5 posters

Go down

The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest Empty The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest

Post  Editor Alison Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 am

Oh! I'm supposed to be running a contest this month in honor of my two year anniversary working with WriteOn. And what a fabulous two years it's been!

Since my role here is supposed to be all about doling out know-how and advice, what's the best piece of writing advice you've ever been given?

I will choose the winner. The prize will be any THREE Egmont books of your choice and a pretty tote bag.

ANNNNND, GO!
Editor Alison
Editor Alison
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest Empty Re: The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest

Post  Maggie Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm not sure if I should be allowed to enter, but I like this question, so I'm going to answer it. ^^ Feel free not to count mine. Hmm, best piece of writing advice ever. Ever? Hmmmm. What comes to mind is actually an answer to one of my questions that you gave a long time ago now, where you broke down the editing/revising process and made it feel doable. That was such a big deal to me because it's always been my struggling point. I really took it to heart, and even considered framing it. Razz

That's really the only thing I can think of. I know there have been many bits of encouragement and advice I've picked up along the way but none come to mind. I'll keep thinking.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest Empty Re: The Ask Editor Alison 2nd Year Anniversary Contest

Post  Constance Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 am

I'M LATE I'M LATE *runs around harried*

Ahem. The best piece of writing advice? The best piece of writing advice I've ever gotten is actually not writing advice. Razz It's a quote.
"Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen every day."
I have a tendency to give up on projects—not because they're too hard, or because they're not working. Just…because. I let other things get in the way. When I saw that quote it was like, "Hey, hey you! PAY ATTENTION. DON'T GIVE UP ON STUFF." It is now my desktop photo and I see it every day and it makes me happy and is very inspiring. And though I do still have that tendency, that quote reminds me to stick it out just a little longer. Smile

There are so many other things I would love to put here as well, because listing my favorite writing advice makes me happy. I'll just stick with that, though.

OR WILL I? *whips out moustache and glasses to post again under a secret identity* Cool
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Though I am not technically a teen anymore, I spent the last two years of my teen-hood here, so I shall enter just in case I am not disqualified. Laughing

It's pretty simple, but probably the best piece of writing advice I've ever seen is to "always write, and write what you love." It's basic, but easy to forget/lose sight of, I think. Especially when writing and going to school, or writing with a full time job(AND going to school.Shocked): it's easy to be like, 'I'll write tomorrow' and never really go anywhere. Or to write what you think others will love, instead of writing what you love, or to get caught up in the craft instead of the story. Not following the above advice leads to passionless writing that never gets finished, which I think we can all agree is not a good thing. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Hmm...best piece of writing advice...oh, dear. I've heard so much lovely advice, so it's hard to pick one, but I would say the one that sticks with me is Neil Gaiman's "make good art" speech.

When things get tough, this is what you should do: Make good art. I'm serious. Husband runs off with a politician -- make good art. Leg crushed and then eaten by a mutated boa constrictor -- make good art. IRS on your trail -- make good art. Cat exploded -- make good art. Someone on the Internet thinks what you're doing is stupid or evil or it's all been done before -- make good art.

It seems like such a simple thing, but whenever I have a hard day (...or week, or month), I recall this speech. It makes me smile, because 1) yes, things could always be worse, and 2) writing is there. No matter what happens, writing is there. The completion of my second serious WIP coincided with my (much loved) grandfather's death. My writing was there. Even though everything else hurt and there was so much pain in my family, about which I could do nothing, I could still write and take comfort in those little, sometimes idiotic things I created.

It sounds so simple, yet touches the most profound truths of human experience. For me, that is the best piece of writing advice.
Rachel
Rachel
Level 3
Level 3

http://rachelatarms.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Editor Alison Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

Because I was bad and didn't pick a winner, let's do this. ALL of your advice is fantabulous. So why don't you ALL e-mail me with one Egmont title you'd love to have and your address, and it's yours.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Editor Alison
Editor Alison
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down