Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agent research

5 posters

Go down

Agent research Empty Agent research

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 pm

How many of you have researched agents? How did you begin? Did you have someone help you start? Or did you just open Google and start searching?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Agent research Empty Re: Agent research

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Lizzy wrote:How many of you have researched agents? How did you begin? Did you have someone help you start? Or did you just open Google and start searching?

I've been researching agents! Smile I started googling stuff and I went through authors blogs and searched for times that they mentioned their agents. I looked for websites that those authors recommended. I found a really good one that has lists and lists of agents so I started going through that and finding the ones I liked, and once I had that list I started doing more research on those specific agents. I've been research agents by myself, no ones been helping me and I kind of like that because it's proving that I really want it and I'm going to push myself Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm

That's so cool! You have to let us know when you start querying. Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Lizzy wrote:That's so cool! You have to let us know when you start querying. Very Happy

Will do! I have my query letter finished and I'm just going to tweak it a little over the weekend and then I think I'm going to start sending it out Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Oooh, really? *excited and nervous for you*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes, I soo excited and nervous too! I really hope that someone likes my novel!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I hope so too!! I'm rooting for you.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you!!! Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Amanda (and I) went through the querying process 2-3 years ago by ourselves. This was soon after one of the Twilight books came out, so we queried her agent, Jodi Reamer first via mail. Then, we googled agents and came up with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and promptly joined.

It's the best site ever for querying writers! It has a list of reputable agents, helps you keep track of who you've sent to, what their responses were, statistics, and what other writers have said about them. And their forum has critique places for first five, queries, and synopses.

Yep, we got a query whipped into shape, and then sent out little batches via email. We got mostly rejections, because we needed to rewrite and hadn't realized it yet. Very Happy Good luck, Sarah!
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Renee wrote:Amanda (and I) went through the querying process 2-3 years ago by ourselves. This was soon after one of the Twilight books came out, so we queried her agent, Jodi Reamer first via mail. Then, we googled agents and came up with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and promptly joined.

It's the best site ever for querying writers! It has a list of reputable agents, helps you keep track of who you've sent to, what their responses were, statistics, and what other writers have said about them. And their forum has critique places for first five, queries, and synopses.

Yep, we got a query whipped into shape, and then sent out little batches via email. We got mostly rejections, because we needed to rewrite and hadn't realized it yet. Very Happy Good luck, Sarah!

I'm going to check that website out! Is it free to join? Have you queried again since then? Did you fix up that WIP or did you guys end up shelving it? I wish I had a twin that loved reading and writing as much as I do! And, thank you Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  AWriterGoneMad Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Sarah wrote:
Lizzy wrote:That's so cool! You have to let us know when you start querying. Very Happy

Will do! I have my query letter finished and I'm just going to tweak it a little over the weekend and then I think I'm going to start sending it out Smile

Hey Sarah, I'm in need of people to read my query. Would you be interested? I'll read yours as well. I love reading queries! Smile Good luck!
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.thenotsodailydiariesofawritergonemad.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AWriterGoneMad Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Rarely do I get their names from their client's books; I Google a lot. Generally, I type in, "lit agent thriller," since thriller is my genre. Smile
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Renee wrote:Amanda (and I) went through the querying process 2-3 years ago by ourselves. This was soon after one of the Twilight books came out, so we queried her agent, Jodi Reamer first via mail. Then, we googled agents and came up with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and promptly joined.

QueryTracker is awesome! :O I sooo know what I'm using when I'm ready.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Sarah wrote:
I'm going to check that website out! Is it free to join? Have you queried again since then? Did you fix up that WIP or did you guys end up shelving it? I wish I had a twin that loved reading and writing as much as I do! And, thank you Very Happy
It's free, and a tremendous resource! Smile We haven't queried again because the WIP isn't done being rewritten(it's the one that'll end up being 110k when it's done). School and life in general got in the way, and it was for the best, really, because it gave the new ideas I was planning on implementing a chance to stew and form even better ideas. It totally wasn't ready to be sent out that first time, so when agents requested material, it didn't live up to the query. Now, the query isn't as good as the book, because I'm not all that great at writing queries, despite the help of many. Embarassed It's the first in a series, so it would take a lot of rejection after all this work for me to shelve it. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Amanda wrote:
Sarah wrote:
It's free, and a tremendous resource! Smile We haven't queried again because the WIP isn't done being rewritten(it's the one that'll end up being 110k when it's done). School and life in general got in the way, and it was for the best, really, because it gave the new ideas I was planning on implementing a chance to stew and form even better ideas. It totally wasn't ready to be sent out that first time, so when agents requested material, it didn't live up to the query. Now, the query isn't as good as the book, because I'm not all that great at writing queries, despite the help of many. Embarassed It's the first in a series, so it would take a lot of rejection after all this work for me to shelve it. Smile

That's great that you decided not to give up on your novel! Queries are harder to write than they look aren't they??? It took me a whole day to make it sound perfect, and even now it needs some tweaking. I have no clue how they expect us to fit what our books are about in less than two paragraph - I'm still amazed by how I did it!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:15 pm

AWriterGoneMad wrote:
Sarah wrote:

Hey Sarah, I'm in need of people to read my query. Would you be interested? I'll read yours as well. I love reading queries! Smile Good luck!

Yeah, I would love you read your query! How do you want to send it to me? And how should I send mine to you?
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  AWriterGoneMad Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Sarah wrote:
AWriterGoneMad wrote:
Sarah wrote:

Yeah, I would love you read your query! How do you want to send it to me? And how should I send mine to you?

Yay! How about just email. You can send yours to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I'll just reply with my query. Smile
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  AWriterGoneMad Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Gah. Forgot the "?" *facepalm*
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:54 pm

AWriterGoneMad wrote:Gah. Forgot the "?" *facepalm*

lol, thats alright, I sent my query letter to you so you can send yours to me once you get it Smile

Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum