Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub-genres :)

4 posters

Go down

Sub-genres :) Empty Sub-genres :)

Post  Sarah Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I really only know anything about the genres that I write in and I think it would be cool to learn about the others out there. So with that in mind, what is your favorite sub-genre? Explain the genre (to the best of your ability, I know its hard Smile )
My favorite is paranormal. This consists of the normal world with something in it that is completely not normal. Examples of paranormal are vampires, werewolves, really just any humans that have special abilities. Witches and Wizards typically aren't in this category (they tend to fall in fantasy), if they are then it all depends on the world that's built around them. If you have any questions feel free to ask (I know I'm probably gonna be asking you tons Smile )
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Sub-genres :) Empty Re: Sub-genres :)

Post  Maggie Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:11 pm

My favorite genre of all time is fantasy. Fantasy is usually an alternate world, but is really anything containing magical creatures, places, abilities, etc. Witches, wizards, elves, dragons, and other mythological creatures fall into this category. Also stories where people transport (magically) to a magical world. Very Happy

Another of my recent new likes (not loves) is Science Fiction. It can be a lot like fantasy, and can even involve magic, but it's mostly outer space related. Science Fiction will take place in other galaxies and stuff like that. Space-related. (Can you tell I'm new to this genre? LOL)

I also love Distopian/Utopian genre. This is the official definition for that, LOL, because I can't even really describe it other than to say Hunger Games is distpian.

"The utopia and its offshoot, the dystopia, are genres of literature that explore social and political structures. Utopian fiction is the creation of an ideal world, or utopia, as the setting for a novel. Dystopian fiction is the opposite: creation of a nightmare world, or dystopia. Many novels combine both, often as a metaphor for the different directions humanity can take in its choices, ending up with one of two possible futures. Both utopias and dystopias are commonly found in science fiction and other speculative fiction genres, and arguably are by definition a type of speculative fiction."

So there. Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

I love fantasy! That's definitely in my top favorites! I haven't read much sifi, maybe I'll try it. Whats your favorite book in that genre? I like certain Dystopia books, my favorite being the Ugly series by Scott Westerfeld Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Sarah wrote:I love fantasy! That's definitely in my top favorites! I haven't read much sifi, maybe I'll try it. Whats your favorite book in that genre? I like certain Dystopia books, my favorite being the Ugly series by Scott Westerfeld Smile

I have read very little science fiction. I'm only just getting in to it because my newest novel is bordering on the scifi side. A lot.

I think the closest I've come to science fiction is "Across the Universe" by Beth Revis (READ IT!) because it takes place on a space ship that's headed for a new galaxy. It's not under that genre, though. I think they called it a murder mystery or something.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

I've haven't read that yet, it sounds pretty good though Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 am

I love dystopians! Or false utopias that are actually dystopias, where society is supposed to have been perfected, but it actually has more things wrong with it than what we have now. Smile I like anything historical, be it ancient Rome, Greece, or Maya, medieval, or nineteenth century. Those stories are great by themselves, but I'll especially like them if there are fantastical elements, like magic or time travel.

As for urban fantasy and paranormal, I've read that the difference is that paranormal is like real life with one facet tweaked, like, maybe, the character goes to school like a normal kid, but whoa, there's a vampire there. And urban fantasy is more 'secret faery worlds parallel to our own' type thing. I hope that's the correct definition. I generally like the more historical feel better, but enjoy these when done well, like Percy Jackson, The Red Pyramid, Artemis Fowl, ect. Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 am

I agree with Amanda, except that I also like sci-fi, and she doesn't tend to. Soft sci-fi would be my sub-genre, because I don't like it when the technology is described to such a degree that it gets boring and beyond my level of comprehension. I'd rather just be told its name, its function, and the fact that it exists--beyond that, I don't really care how it works. I haven't read a lot of science fiction, but I really liked the Dragonback series by Timothy Zahn. The first one is called Dragon and Thief.

(Dragons in space. Can it get any better?! Razz)
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 am

Oh my gosh, Renee... I know exactly what I want to read now. Shocked
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I've just started reading Dragon & Thief, after being bugged to do so for a while now. I'm not a fan of scifi in book format, so the first chapter, with its overload of 'unique' world details, to make it more than sufficiently clear that you're not on Earth/with humans anymore, was a lot for me to get through. If you're not all that into scifi, I suggest skimming that first chapter, because it gets really good after that. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Amanda wrote:I've just started reading Dragon & Thief, after being bugged to do so for a while now. I'm not a fan of scifi in book format, so the first chapter, with its overload of 'unique' world details, to make it more than sufficiently clear that you're not on Earth/with humans anymore, was a lot for me to get through. If you're not all that into scifi, I suggest skimming that first chapter, because it gets really good after that. Smile
Haha, yes. It was easier for me to get through, already knowing what to expect about the world and how everything works, but the first chapter can be a bit much. I guess its actual sub-genre title is "space thriller", but I think it has more character development than the norm for that category. Smile
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Amanda wrote:I love dystopians! Or false utopias that are actually dystopias, where society is supposed to have been perfected, but it actually has more things wrong with it than what we have now. Smile I like anything historical, be it ancient Rome, Greece, or Maya, medieval, or nineteenth century. Those stories are great by themselves, but I'll especially like them if there are fantastical elements, like magic or time travel.

As for urban fantasy and paranormal, I've read that the difference is that paranormal is like real life with one facet tweaked, like, maybe, the character goes to school like a normal kid, but whoa, there's a vampire there. And urban fantasy is more 'secret faery worlds parallel to our own' type thing. I hope that's the correct definition. I generally like the more historical feel better, but enjoy these when done well, like Percy Jackson, The Red Pyramid, Artemis Fowl, ect. Very Happy

Have you ever read the Unglies series by Scott Westerfeld? If you like dystopians then you'll love that book!
I loved your description of paranormal and fantasy, thats exactly what it is!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Renee wrote:I agree with Amanda, except that I also like sci-fi, and she doesn't tend to. Soft sci-fi would be my sub-genre, because I don't like it when the technology is described to such a degree that it gets boring and beyond my level of comprehension. I'd rather just be told its name, its function, and the fact that it exists--beyond that, I don't really care how it works. I haven't read a lot of science fiction, but I really liked the Dragonback series by Timothy Zahn. The first one is called Dragon and Thief.

(Dragons in space. Can it get any better?! Razz)

I hate it when they get into full description of the technology! It's like, I just want to know what it does, and in as few words as possible LOL. the Dragonback series sounds cool. What's the story about?
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 am

Sarah wrote:
Have you ever read the Unglies series by Scott Westerfeld? If you like dystopians then you'll love that book!
I loved your description of paranormal and fantasy, thats exactly what it is!
I haven't, but I've heard of them and been meaning to read them...when I have time to read. Rolling Eyes
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 am

They're really good! I was seriously amazed! I read them over the summer, which is probably the best time to read then cause you can't put the book down, and there's four of them Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Sarah wrote:I hate it when they get into full description of the technology! It's like, I just want to know what it does, and in as few words as possible LOL. the Dragonback series sounds cool. What's the story about?
I couldn't find a very helpful review, so I mixed and matched:
Orphaned, 14-year-old Jack Morgan, raised to be a partner to his late con-man uncle, Virgil, is on the run after being framed for a crime he didn't commit. He hides out on an uninhabited planet, and a spaceship crashes nearby. The only survivor is a K'da warrior, Draycos, a dragon-like being who cannot live apart from a humanoid host longer than six hours. The first in an advance team, fleeing the dreaded Valahgua, he must get back to warn his people. The dragon and former thief team up to clear Jack's name, and then find Draycos' people, embarking on a fast-paced chase across space and into danger.

It also has a perfect blend of humor and action, in my humble opinion. Very Happy Hope that helps.
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:32 pm

That sounds soo good!! I know what I'm going to look for next time I'm at the library!!!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum