Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YA mafia? sounds scary lol

4 posters

Go down

YA mafia? sounds scary lol Empty YA mafia? sounds scary lol

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Um, has anyone else noticed that every YA author today had been tweeting like crazy about the YA mafia. Where did that come from? And, I have a vague idea of what it is but anyone know in detail what its all about?
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

YA mafia? sounds scary lol Empty Re: YA mafia? sounds scary lol

Post  Maggie Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I hadn't even heard the term until now. I looked it up and found this article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- is that the same thing? Never heard of that before! Shocked
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Yeah Smile it's the same thing. That's the article that I read about it, it's the one the authors where telling us to read, but I still didn't really get it. How do people come up with stuff like that?
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm kinda confused though. Does this really happen? And if so, I want to know who'd really do that. Shocked LOL
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

I know I'm super confused too! All the authors are saying that it doesn't happen. I say it through the twitter posts of Ally Carter, Sarah Dessen, Kelley Armstong, (and a few others but I can't rememeber their names) if you want to check out what they're saying. Everyones twitter is their names except for ally's which is Officiallyally
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Sarah wrote:Yeah Smile it's the same thing. That's the article that I read about it, it's the one the authors where telling us to read, but I still didn't really get it. How do people come up with stuff like that?
I've never heard of it either, until now--and I'm sure it never happens. The authors involved would have to be pretty immature to do something like that. I agree with the article posted, that writers are too lost in their heads to pursue the ruining of someone else. Very Happy

Lol, the people who come up with these things are probably paranoid…or egotistical. Or both. I know many new writers who are terrified of people cheating them, or stealing their work/ideas, because they think they're all that and a bag of chips. Either way, it's pretty silly. Rolling Eyes
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Renee wrote:
Sarah wrote:Yeah Smile it's the same thing. That's the article that I read about it, it's the one the authors where telling us to read, but I still didn't really get it. How do people come up with stuff like that?
I've never heard of it either, until now--and I'm sure it never happens. The authors involved would have to be pretty immature to do something like that. I agree with the article posted, that writers are too lost in their heads to pursue the ruining of someone else. Very Happy

Lol, the people who come up with these things are probably paranoid…or egotistical. Or both. I know many new writers who are terrified of people cheating them, or stealing their work/ideas, because they think they're all that and a bag of chips. Either way, it's pretty silly. Rolling Eyes

Isn't it really silly! I mean really, if a book is good enough then it doesn't matter who writes it, it will get published. And no writer would ever do that because that would take quite a bit of time and we're sort of busy writing. Lol, the "too lost in their heads" describes us perfectly (well, at least me) Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Sarah wrote:Isn't it really silly! I mean really, if a book is good enough then it doesn't matter who writes it, it will get published. And no writer would ever do that because that would take quite a bit of time and we're sort of busy writing. Lol, the "too lost in their heads" describes us perfectly (well, at least me) Very Happy
Exactly. And I totally know what you mean, about being lost. That's how I decided to major in English instead of Physics--my head is always in the clouds. You can't focus on building a bridge if you're already floating in space--it's too tame. Razz
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Renee wrote:
Sarah wrote:Isn't it really silly! I mean really, if a book is good enough then it doesn't matter who writes it, it will get published. And no writer would ever do that because that would take quite a bit of time and we're sort of busy writing. Lol, the "too lost in their heads" describes us perfectly (well, at least me) Very Happy
Exactly. And I totally know what you mean, about being lost. That's how I decided to major in English instead of Physics--my head is always in the clouds. You can't focus on building a bridge if you're already floating in space--it's too tame. Razz

Majoring in English sounds cool! What do you want to do after college? I can see us all like ten years from now quoting the things you wrote, I seriously love that line you just put! Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dy0ulee Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:58 pm

It is an issue that has popped up in the YA blogosphere. A few book bloggers who are aspiring writers have either closed down their review blogs or deleted past negative reviews. Of course, there are others who are not planning on doing, and have not done either.

There's been a lot of discussion regarding this, from both authors and reviewers point of views. Here's a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

As a book blogger/aspiring author, I understand both point of views. Still scary though.
dy0ulee
dy0ulee

http://www.liyanaland.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Thank you for the link! It cleared a lot of my confusion up. I really hope blogger';s that are also aspiring authors don't stop writing honest reviews because I read them to find out which books I want to buy and which ones I just want to borrow from the library. I understand both sides too, but at the same time you have to think what sort of author really has time to go out and try ruining other peoples career over a bad book review, I would never do that, though I suppose other people possibly could. It is definitely scary!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum