Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characters reflecting you

4 posters

Go down

Characters reflecting you Empty Characters reflecting you

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

How many of you tend to write characters -- whether on purpose or not -- that reflect you as a person. They might talk like you or have one of your quirks or something, even if you didn't intentionally do that.

For me, if the MC is a girl, this tends to be kinda a problem. Without realizing I end up making at least some part of the character (and this is strictly a MC issue, because I'm not in anyone else's heads as often) a lot like me. Very Happy

It's almost like I can't help it. I mean I'll have to relate to the character in some way or another... but sometimes when I just want a very DIFFERENT character it can be frustrating because I'll still see the shadow of myself in her anyway.

What about you? Do you find your main characters a lot like yourself?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Characters reflecting you Empty Re: Characters reflecting you

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:25 pm

My main characters are hardly ever like me. The stories that I write tends to call for a certain type of MC and they are so different from me that none of my personality or quirks translate over. That was the hardest thing about writing my last WIP and this one (its a squeal) the MC is so different than me that I have to in a way become a completely different person. Its fun, but hard. In one of my novels my MC was based on me, which made everything easier, but unless I specifically base the character on me then nothing transfers over.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Sarah wrote:My main characters are hardly ever like me. The stories that I write tends to call for a certain type of MC and they are so different from me that none of my personality or quirks translate over. That was the hardest thing about writing my last WIP and this one (its a squeal) the MC is so different than me that I have to in a way become a completely different person. Its fun, but hard. In one of my novels my MC was based on me, which made everything easier, but unless I specifically base the character on me then nothing transfers over.

I wish I had that talent! I want some of my characters to be so different, but unless they're a different age or gender completely then I have trouble separating myself from them. My last MC was a 16-year-old girl, and she ended up having those little traits that were just like mine. She wasn't totally like me, and didn't look anything like me, but all the same... I can't seem to help it!

But how fun to become a different person. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 pm

It really was that instead of that character becoming me, I became that character. Really creepy actually, I would catch myself thinking like her during the day. Maybe try think of the character as a friend who's mind you can read or something. That way instead accidentally thinking what you would do, ask what would that friend do. I don't know, I've never really had that problem, but maybe it would help Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dy0ulee Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

The MC in my first WIP was a lot like me, or how I wished I was. *grin* Just continued writing that WIP so I could get it out of my system, all my angst lol, after which I had a better focus about different MCs and their lives. Not gonna lie, there are some aspects that I wish I have still being projected into not just the MC, but every character I write. xD
dy0ulee
dy0ulee

http://www.liyanaland.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Sarah wrote:It really was that instead of that character becoming me, I became that character. Really creepy actually, I would catch myself thinking like her during the day. Maybe try think of the character as a friend who's mind you can read or something. That way instead accidentally thinking what you would do, ask what would that friend do. I don't know, I've never really had that problem, but maybe it would help Smile

Shocked *jealous*

That sounds half creepy half cool. I'm practicing, though. Perhaps this new MC of mine will be less like me and more her own? *hopes*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 pm

dy0ulee wrote:The MC in my first WIP was a lot like me, or how I wished I was. *grin* Just continued writing that WIP so I could get it out of my system, all my angst lol, after which I had a better focus about different MCs and their lives. Not gonna lie, there are some aspects that I wish I have still being projected into not just the MC, but every character I write. xD

Achh, yeah. I know exactly where you're coming from. My MCs are all what I wish I could be. They're like me, but they have the qualities I wish I had. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dy0ulee Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Yes! I guess what they say about writing revealing more about the author than the reader is true.
dy0ulee
dy0ulee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:43 pm

dy0ulee wrote:The MC in my first WIP was a lot like me, or how I wished I was. *grin* Just continued writing that WIP so I could get it out of my system, all my angst lol, after which I had a better focus about different MCs and their lives. Not gonna lie, there are some aspects that I wish I have still being projected into not just the MC, but every character I write. xD

Same here Very Happy I often find myself writing MC's that I wish I were like. Maybe cause they have so many interesting traits that I know I'll never have.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dy0ulee Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes, exactly! What's your favorite apart of creating a character? Mine is inserting flaws in them, just making them a bit bad. Oh, the things that they can do! Wink

Sorry I can't quote! Using the mobile and not surer how to do a paste function. O.o
dy0ulee
dy0ulee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 pm

My favorite part is giving them secrets. Like really bad secrets that drive them to do the things they do and in a way rule their lives and then their found out. So much fun!!

I you don't have to paste anything to quote people, you just press the quote button that's above their comment, but if that doesn't work on your phone then that's okay Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dy0ulee Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Sarah wrote:My favorite part is giving them secrets. Like really bad secrets that drive them to do the things they do and in a way rule their lives and then their found out. So much fun!!

I you don't have to paste anything to quote people, you just press the quote button that's above their comment, but if that doesn't work on your phone then that's okay Smile

Oh. My. God. I did not see that big button there, ahahaha! Success!

Ahhh, that's great! And sometimes their secrets are even worse that what we would think. Very Happy
dy0ulee
dy0ulee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:50 pm

lol yay you did it Very Happy

The secrets that my characters have tend to be a lot worse than what everyone thinks, but I think that makes it even more fun Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:42 pm

LOL dy0ulee!

And yeah I agree with both of you.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:51 pm

I have an issue with trying to write characters that aren't like me. They just end up sharing similar interests with me or I'll have them dress like me lol. &if not that, I write a character & a situation that I would want to be in. Like being a super popular/rich girl in high school. I was anything but that so I've always wanted to know what it would be like. Smile Sometimes I live vicariously through my characters lol.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Shahira wrote:I have an issue with trying to write characters that aren't like me. They just end up sharing similar interests with me or I'll have them dress like me lol. &if not that, I write a character & a situation that I would want to be in. Like being a super popular/rich girl in high school. I was anything but that so I've always wanted to know what it would be like. Smile Sometimes I live vicariously through my characters lol.

I know what you mean. Same thing about writing them into situations you'd want to be in. I do that all the time. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum