Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WIP Choices!

+4
Matthew
Maggie
Stephen
Taryn
8 posters

Go down

WIP Choices! Empty WIP Choices!

Post  Taryn Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Guys, when Lizzy asked what I was working on, I said I didn't know. I have a bunch of choices for which novel I want to draft next. Help me pick! (These pitches aren't very good because I have queries written instead.)

Victoria Grey: (magical realism) America's sweetheart Victoria Grey has been told she's many things--beautiful, talented, intelligent, yaaawn--but never arrogant. Not until her eccentric great-aunt Faye insists her ego's about to consume all her talent and leave her *gasp* AVERAGE. Yeah, right. But then Faye promises to make Victoria look in the mirror, and a perfect replica of herself shows up and steals her limelight.

The Trailmaker: (historical fantasy) When twins Margret and Danial Berkeley discover they are the only people who can visit a magical realm, their six-year-old minds are enchanted. This secret stayed between them for the next ten years, but when struggles in their parents’ marriage send the twins to single-sex boarding schools, new friends make Margret wonder if secrecy is necessary. With their urging, she ventures beyond the safety of the meadow where she and Danial stayed but soon realizes evil lurks away from the clearing.

If I Were You: (urban fantasy) Just after average Nellie Erickson declares herself an emancipated minor, she accepts an offer offer to attend an elite boarding school. More shocking than the Principal’s violent feministic tendencies is her explanation that magic does exist and many people have some sort of talent. Nellie learns that one can only access his skill if he is told he has it, and the Principal herself is the only one who has the magic to discern these talents. But something else is going on behind the closed doors of the Principal’s study, and Nellie is determined to find out what it is.

Undesirable: (magical realism) Alexis O'Hara has been cursed to desire every boy and never to have that desire returned. Johnny King has been cursed to desire the most undesirable girl. But the joke's on the witch when their two curses collide, and Alexis is Undesirable.

Overheard: (thriller) Shane Marx suffers from what he calls The Edward Issue--the thought that all girls love a boy who care enough to stalk her. So when he bugs Tricia Zimmerman's car, he figures she'll think it's romantic. And he sure doesn't mind listening to her conversations with friends and the rare treats when she sings along to country music. It's not like Tricia the Canadian intern and proven Ironwoman would ever look at tech-geek Shane otherwise. But when Tricia gets kidnapped in a case of mistaken identity, Shane's bugs provide the only lead, and it's up to the nerd and his best friend to cross the country and find Tricia before the kidnappers decide what to do with the wrong girl.

The World in Shades of Green: (YA dystopia) After meteors and nuclear war break the US into two distinct sections separated by a long strait, there are four types of people left: the Government (on the coasts), the Artists (in the south), the Scientists (in the north), and the Straitkeepers, lucky men and women who get peace in exchange for policing the strait. When a tidal wave splits straitkeeper-daughters Tiffany and Gretchen Lyre apart, they wash up on opposite ends of a bank they've been told never to cross. Two sisters. Two sides of the Strait. Two groups of rebels. Who's the enemy?

Yay!
Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

WIP Choices! Empty Re: WIP Choices!

Post  Stephen Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 pm

I like all of them but probably my favorite are If I Were You, The World in Shades of Green and Overheard Smile
Stephen
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

https://www.youtube.com/alffbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Oooooo, they all were unique and awesome! I'm jealous of all these ideas and titles. Razz Hmm. I'd say "The World in Shades of Green" or "Undesirable" -- both of of those in particular caught my attention. Though I do agree I like "If I Were You" -- it just sounds middle grade and so I'm not naturally drawn towards that. Feel free to smack me if I'm wrong. Wink

You're AWESOME Taryn. Never fail to blow me away with all your novel-writing! :OP
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I agree with Stephen, my favourites are If I Were You, The World in Shades of Green, and Overboard. I think my favourite-ist (why isn't that a word? It should be a word) would be The World in Shades of Green.
Matthew
Matthew
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.matthewdodwell.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:52 pm

In the If I Were You description, you say that the Principal is uber feminist, but you revert to using 'he' as a blanket pronoun in like the next sentence, lol.

Anyway! Choices, choices...I like Undesirable! Umm...I like Victoria Grey, too--magical realism has always intrigued me, though I've only ever read one, The Handomest Drowned Man, which I kind of thought was made into a bigger deal within class than it really warranted. Hmm...they all seem like they have merit, but the rest of the hooks aren't quite strong/unique enough to draw my attention. I like the bit of an idea I can see in The World in Shades of Green, but I'd need to know a bit more of the underlying plot to vote for it. I think, with the current descriptions, my number one is Undesirable. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Also, Overheard sounds good, too. But Undesirable is still my favorite. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow Taryn these are all such great ideas! My favorite was Undesirable Smile let us know what you choose!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:10 pm

"The World In Shades Of Green" or "Overheard". The "Edward Issue" thing made me laugh.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:44 am

Hmmm, these are all great ideas but my favorites are probably Undesirable, The Trailmaker, and Overhead.
Brittany
Brittany

http://www.hillsandcorkscrews.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum