Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life of an English Major

4 posters

Go down

Life of an English Major Empty Life of an English Major

Post  Shahira Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:19 am

Last week, I wrote a 1,000 word essay in twenty minutes. This week, I had to study 5+ hours for a math exam. Am I the only one who sucks at anything not English? -_-
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Life of an English Major Empty Re: Life of an English Major

Post  Amanda Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] comic describes my future as an English Major. XD

As for subjects other than English, idk, I was one of those nerds people disliked because I never studied and still got A's on pretty much everything. Embarassed Except Latin. I definitely studied for Latin. Shocked But English actually came slower at times, because I cared about the assignments enough to do my best instead of just enough to make an A. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 am

@Shahira Aww, haha! Who wants math to be their 'thing' anyway?? 1,000 words in 20min is awesome. XD

@Amanda That was, like, my fear in high school. (I'm still in high school, but I'm over it...) Even if I understood something, like the Algebra (though I totally had to study O_O), I would pretend not to because I was afraid the others in the class wouldn't like me for being smart. Neutral I got over it... but I know what that's like. (I still got the As, I just didn't talk about them... to anyone!)

But actually, I wasn't good in English. It was my attitude... I decided to HATE it, and so I did. Thus I was happy to get a C. *blush*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:14 pm

@Amanda I wish I could not study & just get good grades!! Lol that'd be amazing. I've been told Latin is a super hard language to take. What made you want to learn it??

@Maggie So you were a nerd on the down low?! Lol just kidding. Smile At least you cared enough to study & get good grades. I was a bad kid in high school. I never studied lol. Getting C's or *cough*D's*cough* were good enough for me. I care a lot more now though! Very Happy
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 pm

@Shahira--I thought Latin would be good to learn, because it's the base for a ton of English words, and it'd make learning Spanish or French or Italian(any of the romance languages, really) a breeze if I was ever struck with the urge. But I quit after a year to take Russian, so there you are. I still remember a lot of it, though, and it helped me on the SATs b/c I knew a lot of the roots for the words I didn't know, so I could figure out the meaning. Smile

@Maggie--I love how you said 'the Algebra', lol. Makes it sound like a fearsome beast to me. Razz Anyway, as far as nerds go, I was lucky b/c I was in the 'smart kid' classes for all of middle school, and the honors classes in high school, freshman year(homeschooled sophomore & up, so they don't count). So I was only picked on in gym in middle school--one of the popular girls from my elementary school was in my PE class and decided she didn't like me, and that her dislike warranted socially scarring torment.

But other than that, you know. It's not like I shouted my grades from the rooftops, but being the only freshman(besides Renee') in my Algebra 2 class, surrounded by juniors and seniors and a couple sophomores, I did silently take pride in my A at the top of the grade sheet. ^_^
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:41 pm

@Amanda Wow. I didn't mean to write 'the Algebra'... It was instinctive, because Algebra IS like a fearsome beast. XD But that's sad! It seems so cliche-- the popular girl picking on the smart ones. Seriously? She probably couldn't have pulled off half the grades you did. You smart thing you. Smile

@Shahira LOL! C's were good enough for me in English, sadly. Some writer I am. Razz But still. Glad you're taking it seriously now. But it may or may not have to do with the fact you're finally learning something you're interested in... english! ^^
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I never flaunted my good grades the three years I wasn't homeschooled, but I didn't pretend I didn't have them. I was smart, and since that was basically my only asset (Sports? No. Social? ...No.), I accepted it. ...I think I came off as a smart snob sometimes... but it wasn't on purpose. O_o And part of it was just because talking to people was a terrifying prospect.

ANYWAY. English has always been the easiest class for me. And all things math... we aren't friends.

...I lost where I was going with that.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm

@Maggie--Yeah, instinctual. XD But I guess there's a reason it's a cliche--because it actually happens. I didn't see her at all in 8th & 9th grade, though, and after my switch to homeschool, I heard from one of my friends that she was generally regarded as a jerk/other-not-nice-names, though she had social power. The thing is, I don't even remember what kind of things she did. I must've blocked it out, which means it was probably pretty bad. Shocked

@Constance--Yes. Smart snob--I get that a lot. Because people just don't understand that talking to them--yes, even if I've known them since first grade--is terrifying(excepting my three best RL friends, but even then I watch how I say things). So I don't do it very often, so they think that I think I'm too good to associate myself with them. When really, the opposite is true. It's a terrible irony. Sad
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:15 am

@Teo: EXACTLY. Shocked
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 pm

@Amanda A friend of mine was telling me to take Latin. I think it's awesome you tried it out & that it helped with your SAT's! How's Russian going? If I were to learn a language it'd definitely be Arabic. Smile
& I think that girl that bullied you is a horrible, horrible person. I'm glad you took yourself out of the situation instead of just letting it happen. I was bullied up until HS by the same girl who went to elementary & middle school with but then one day she said hi to me as if the last 8 years didn't happen & we were friends the whole time. Shocked

@Maggie That's the awesome thing about college. Most of what you're taking is classes you're interested in, not ones they force down your throat lol. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 pm

@Constance-- *nods* We shall persevere together. Smile

@Shahira--Russian's...not going right now, haha. But I plan to get more of it learnt--I'm taking it on Rosetta Stone, it's not for a grade anymore. And yes, she was a pretty horrible person. I stood next to her in the attendance line, so sometimes I'd be able to go up the line to hang out with my friend in the Gs to escape, b/c I was a good kid and the gym teacher didn't mind so much. But bully-girl had a friend, and they would gang up on me, and that friend's last name also started with a G, so sometimes they just followed me. Neutral
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 pm

How do you like Rosetta Stone? Or have you not used it yet? Let me know how much it helps! Smile

People are just horrible. It breaks my heart to know that people can be so cruel, knowing the amount of suicides that have been happening lately. Sad Don't they know how much it hurts to be bullied? I'm just so happy that you're not in that situation anymore. <3
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Rosetta Stone can be helpful or infuriating, depending on how perfectionistic you are. I'm...very perfectionistic, so I have been known to yell at the computer when it doesn't accept my esdraasveetchia after my fifth try. I'm pronouncing it exactly like the voice in the program, but it just doesn't accept it because the computer doesn't pick up the right syllables. Evil or Very Mad I learned to just let it accept that one as wrong and get on with my stress-free life. Smile

But if you're learning a language that doesn't have a thick accent(unlike Russian), it'd probably work all the time. I've taken about a year and a quarter of the "homeschool" program, and I have learned a lot of the language. But I'd need to do it a lot more consistently to remember them at any given time. Embarassed

Also, yes. I don't think they really know what they're doing--they just know it makes them feel better about themselves, and it gets laughs when they do it in front of others. That sort of public humiliation never happened to me, thankfully, and I'm generally pretty confident in who I am as a person, so I'd say I'm rather well off in comparison to others. Neutral
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum