Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naming your novel

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Naming your novel Empty Naming your novel

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Do you struggle naming your novel? What's the hardest part about it for you?

I generally do struggle, though sometimes the perfect word just comes along. I prefer one-word novels, so usually the problem is "Has someone thought of this first?" and the answer is (when I love it most) yes. tongue
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Naming your novel Empty Re: Naming your novel

Post  Amanda Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 pm

I like one or two word titles, too. Smile I went through several similar titles before I came up with the one I have now. For me, it's all coming up with the right word, and for a series, coming up with the right words that are all connected, but different.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:08 pm

I know what you mean!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 pm

I also prefer one word titles for novels. There's something powerful about just one word describing the entire novel.
The novel I'm working on now is just the name of the town it takes place in &there is actually another novel by the name of it so I'm pretty sure I'll change it eventually but I haven't came up with anything yet. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I like one worded novels too! For me the title just comes. Like, once I knew the title of a novel before I even knew what the novel was going to be about (I finished it a while ago and the title is seriously perfect for it though)
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Sarah wrote:I like one worded novels too! For me the title just comes. Like, once I knew the title of a novel before I even knew what the novel was going to be about (I finished it a while ago and the title is seriously perfect for it though)

Ooooh, that's skill.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Lol, either that or I just have the most random words pop into my head!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Sarah wrote:Lol, either that or I just have the most random words pop into my head!

That can be a skill, too, having random words pop into your head that make killer titles. Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Haha yay! It is an awesome skill!! And it soo makes up for me not being good in math!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 am

Sarah wrote:Haha yay! It is an awesome skill!! And it soo makes up for me not being good in math!

LOL! A LOT of things make up for not being good in math. I hate math. Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 am

Me too!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Haha, I don't know if I hate math--strongly dislike is probably a better description of our relationship. I guess I'm pretty good at it, but it's boring, so I stopped taking it as soon as I got out of trig. Yay for only needing 2.5 high school math credits! Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Lol "strong dislike of math" you sound like me. I was told when I was like 11 that I wasn't allowed to hate anything so ever since then I went around saying that I have a "strong dislike for ...." whatever it happened to be. I still say it all the time Smile
And, lucky! My parents are making me take all four years of math, but at least for my senior year I'm taking college math so I won't have to take five years of it!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Sarah wrote:Lol "strong dislike of math" you sound like me. I was told when I was like 11 that I wasn't allowed to hate anything so ever since then I went around saying that I have a "strong dislike for ...." whatever it happened to be. I still say it all the time Smile
And, lucky! My parents are making me take all four years of math, but at least for my senior year I'm taking college math so I won't have to take five years of it!
Haha, you had me trying to think of something I have a strong enough abhorrence for to say I actually hate it...green peppers! That's all I can think of, lol.

And I really meant to take a college math course this semester, so I never had to touch the subject again, but 'Guitar Chord Theory' sounded about 5 million times more fun, and I'm trying to keep up in about eight classes right now, soo...the moral of the story is, don't leave it all until senior year. Not fun. Rolling Eyes
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Haha green peppers? I actually don't think I've ever had one which is funny since my dad has some type of pepper every night for dinner! For me it would probably be lasagna. I seriously can not stand it! Which again is funny since my brother has it at least once a week.
Eight classes?! I can barely do 6! You might just be the one person who's having a harder school year than I am!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Sarah wrote:Haha green peppers? I actually don't think I've ever had one which is funny since my dad has some type of pepper every night for dinner! For me it would probably be lasagna. I seriously can not stand it! Which again is funny since my brother has it at least once a week.
Eight classes?! I can barely do 6! You might just be the one person who's having a harder school year than I am!
Hate the smell, hate the taste, hate the way it pops up in salsas everywhere. Smile As long as lasagna has no anise or fennel, it's actually one of my favorite foods. I'm pretty big on Italian...and Chinese...and Thai...and Mexican...haha.

Russian, US Government, AP Psych, PE, Physics, Guitar, Vocal Lessons, Piano Lessons--I think that's it. Oh, and writing. I guess I have nine classes. My teacher let me count my novel-writing activities as an English Independent Study credit. I feel a little less guilty about putting off schoolwork for writing, now. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I love Italian breads, well, actually I love bread in general Smile
Your taking Russian?! Wow! And, you are soo lucky to have a teacher who counts writing as an English credit! I would love school ten times more if my teacher let me do that!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Sarah wrote:I love Italian breads, well, actually I love bread in general Smile
Your taking Russian?! Wow! And, you are soo lucky to have a teacher who counts writing as an English credit! I would love school ten times more if my teacher let me do that!
Yep--Russian's pretty cool. I'm getting pretty good at my accent. Smile And as for the credit, well, I'm going to a charter school(basically a publicly-funded homeschool), so if you can come up with a basic curriculum, you can call it a class, log hours, and get a grade. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Russian sounds really cool! I'm learning spanish, which since I want to be a teacher one day, is probably smarter for me to take but I always wanted to learn Russian! And no way! I go to a charter homeschool too! Mines OHVA which is through k12. It's a public school online so I still have teachers and assignments, so I dont get to come up with the curriculum, but I still get to do what I want when I want. I love it!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

@Amanda...Russian!? I am SO impressed. I've been doing a lot of research on Russia lately because I created a character who was from Russia. It seems like such a hard language to learn. Even harder than Korean, which I tried learning for a time. I can read most of the letters. *proud* but that's about it.

This year I'm taking French. It feels so easy in comparison to Korean. I can't imagine Russian. Kudos to you!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Sarah wrote:Russian sounds really cool! I'm learning spanish, which since I want to be a teacher one day, is probably smarter for me to take but I always wanted to learn Russian! And no way! I go to a charter homeschool too! Mines OHVA which is through k12. It's a public school online so I still have teachers and assignments, so I dont get to come up with the curriculum, but I still get to do what I want when I want. I love it!
I'm planning on being an English teacher in a middle or high school--since I'm in Alaska, Russian might come in useful. Smile The first foreign language I took was Latin, because I figured I could piece together both French and Spanish with the mother language. That lasted about a year--our teacher taught all four levels of Latin at the same time, so lots of us fell behind(when I was still in public school).
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Lizzy wrote:@Amanda...Russian!? I am SO impressed. I've been doing a lot of research on Russia lately because I created a character who was from Russia. It seems like such a hard language to learn. Even harder than Korean, which I tried learning for a time. I can read most of the letters. *proud* but that's about it.

This year I'm taking French. It feels so easy in comparison to Korean. I can't imagine Russian. Kudos to you!
I'm using the Rosetta Stone immersion computer program, so it's not as hard as it might be in a classroom. I can pronounce almost the whole Cyrillic alphabet! I get all excited when I can sound out words--I might have no clue what it means, but I can say it. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 pm

All four years of a language at once?! That teachers crazy! Russian probably will be really useful to you, and it sounds a lot more fun that Spanish!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah, our high school was relatively small, compared to lower-48 high schools, I guess. There were only enough people signed up for Latin to fill up two classes, and that's on all four levels. So he had to do them all together. I need to hear and see things at the same time to learn really well, so I was solidly lost by about halfway through the second semester--I survived on extra credit and luck. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Wow I think I would have failed! *thanks my family for talking me out of taking Latin*
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum