Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nervous before sending work

4 posters

Go down

Nervous before sending work Empty Nervous before sending work

Post  Maggie Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

How many of you get nervous before you send your work to someone? Whether it's a friend or family member or a total stranger I always get nervous right before I press "Send" when I'm emailing my work for critique or just opinions.

I even installed a Gmail lab that allows you to "undo" a send within a couple seconds after you first send it, JUST in case I panic a moment later.

Pretty silly, huh?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Nervous before sending work Empty Re: Nervous before sending work

Post  Amanda Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I get nervous butterflies in my stomach, and my heart starts going like crazy. Haha, I'm glad I use yahoo--if I used gmail, I'd have to strongly resist the urge to install the 'undo send' tab, so I couldn't panic and take it back just because I was nervous. Laughing
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Amanda wrote:I get nervous butterflies in my stomach, and my heart starts going like crazy. Haha, I'm glad I use yahoo--if I used gmail, I'd have to strongly resist the urge to install the 'undo send' tab, so I couldn't panic and take it back just because I was nervous. Laughing

LOL! I should make a Yahoo account just to send my work. Laughing I admit to having used that Undo button.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I didn't know there was an undo button on gmail! Thanks Lizzy for putting that in my head! Haha Jk. But, I get soooo nervous when I ask other people to read my book and critique it. My sister read my book while I was in the room and it took everything I had not to ask her "what do you think?" every two seconds. It's cause you put so much in the book that the idea of someone maybe not liking it makes you go kinda crazy... Well, crazier, cause I believe you have to have just a little crazy in you to write a book in the first place, good crazy of course Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Sarah wrote:I didn't know there was an undo button on gmail! Thanks Lizzy for putting that in my head! Haha Jk. But, I get soooo nervous when I ask other people to read my book and critique it. My sister read my book while I was in the room and it took everything I had not to ask her "what do you think?" every two seconds. It's cause you put so much in the book that the idea of someone maybe not liking it makes you go kinda crazy... Well, crazier, cause I believe you have to have just a little crazy in you to write a book in the first place, good crazy of course Smile

LOL! It's a fabulous invention. Sometimes, though, it makes it worse when I sit there for the 10 seconds staring at the "Undo" button and then it disappears. Shocked Somehow that makes it feel like there's no going back.

I have shared my work with my sister too and I probably did ask her "Where are you? What just happened?" every two seconds- LOL! It's one of the hardest things to do.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Lol, its probably best that I never learn how to get one because I would never be able to send emails again.
Isn't it the hardest thing to do!!!! No... Wait... The hardest was when I let my dad read it cause his if he likes it then everyone will because he's very picky I was soo nervous and he doesn't go easy on the critiques so I was so happy when he liked it Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Sarah wrote:Lol, its probably best that I never learn how to get one because I would never be able to send emails again.
Isn't it the hardest thing to do!!!! No... Wait... The hardest was when I let my dad read it cause his if he likes it then everyone will because he's very picky I was soo nervous and he doesn't go easy on the critiques so I was so happy when he liked it Smile

My dad is picky too. That's probably why I never let him read any of my stuff. Or it may be he just doesn't like fantasy and that's what I write, mainly. Rolling Eyes

And yay for your dad liking it! If you ever want to share some of your work with me I'd be more than happy to read / critique / give feedback. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm

I know, I was so surprised that my dad liked it! He doesn't like to read at all, and then to go and read a YA book and say he likes it? I was in shock! Lol
And thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind! Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Lol! I wish I could allow me family to read it, but they really aren't interested in reading at all, nonetheless something targeted at teens. xP
I've started sending my work out to people and I know what you mean! I get really nervous also, like, will they like or not? Maybe they'll think it's the worst piece of writing ever. Maybe they'll get so bored they won't even bother with it.
All these doubts. Razz
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Mayaah wrote:Lol! I wish I could allow me family to read it, but they really aren't interested in reading at all, nonetheless something targeted at teens. xP
I've started sending my work out to people and I know what you mean! I get really nervous also, like, will they like or not? Maybe they'll think it's the worst piece of writing ever. Maybe they'll get so bored they won't even bother with it.
All these doubts. Razz

Awww, that sucks. Sad The only person I let read my work is my sister, and it's hard to get her to finish anything. She's always really supportive and encouraging, but she'll just...stop reading. Neutral Frustrating.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Aww that sucks you guys! I'll read and critique your work if you send it to me Smile My mom is really supportive but she'll just stop reading too! Well, that may be due to the fact that I have her help me edit it too... But my sister is actually a really good supporter, I learned to leave the chapters on mini cliff hangers and only give her the work chapter by chapter so it keeps her wanting to read more, it gets her to finish it since she doesn't like reading all that much.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Mayaah wrote:Lol! I wish I could allow me family to read it, but they really aren't interested in reading at all, nonetheless something targeted at teens. xP
All these doubts. Razz

Awww, that sucks. Sad The only person I let read my work is my sister, and it's hard to get her to finish anything. She's always really supportive and encouraging, but she'll just...stop reading. Neutral Frustrating.

Yes...I've learned family and friends aren't the best people to ask unless they're some literary experts, plus they tend to be a bit biased. I've stuck to strangers now. Razz
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Mayaah wrote:
Yes...I've learned family and friends aren't the best people to ask unless they're some literary experts, plus they tend to be a bit biased. I've stuck to strangers now. Razz

Totally biased!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Sarah wrote:Aww that sucks you guys! I'll read and critique your work if you send it to me Smile My mom is really supportive but she'll just stop reading too! Well, that may be due to the fact that I have her help me edit it too... But my sister is actually a really good supporter, I learned to leave the chapters on mini cliff hangers and only give her the work chapter by chapter so it keeps her wanting to read more, it gets her to finish it since she doesn't like reading all that much.

Awww, thank you! And I've totally done the cliff-hanger thing. It works...sometimes. Rolling Eyes
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm one of those people who likes ending a chapter dramatically and will spend an hour trying to figure out the right words to do it... Should I even ask what "sometimes" means? Lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Sarah wrote: I'm one of those people who likes ending a chapter dramatically and will spend an hour trying to figure out the right words to do it... Should I even ask what "sometimes" means? Lol

I end almost every chapter dramatically. In fact, I know I'm at the end of a chapter when things get dramatic. What a Face

Sometimes means if she even GETS to the end of the chapter. No
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Same here!
Aww, well again of you want someone to read something for you I'm happy to do it Smile or, I have I better idea! I adopt you as my sister haha
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Sarah wrote:Same here!
Aww, well again of you want someone to read something for you I'm happy to do it Smile or, I have I better idea! I adopt you as my sister haha

Awww, haha. Thank you! I'll keep it in mind.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum