Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emotional when you read?

+3
Mayaah
Sarah
Maggie
7 posters

Go down

Emotional when you read? Empty Emotional when you read?

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Who here is emotional when they're reading? How about writing? Do books make you laugh out loud, literally, or cry out loud?

For me both writing and reading can make me cry or laugh. I chuckle a lot and I bawl when it's sad. I hate when someone walks in and the tears are just coating my face. Shocked Kinda awkward.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Emotional when you read? Empty Re: Emotional when you read?

Post  Sarah Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Lizzy wrote:Who here is emotional when they're reading? How about writing? Do books make you laugh out loud, literally, or cry out loud?

For me both writing and reading can make me cry or laugh. I chuckle a lot and I bawl when it's sad. I hate when someone walks in and the tears are just coating my face. Shocked Kinda awkward.

Lol "kinda awkward" but I know what you mean! I'll be reading a book in a room with my friends or family and I'll just start laughing out loud. And they'll be looking at me all weird, which makes it even more funny. But, I hate books that make me cry, well, I hate then and I love them cause if I'm crying then it's a good book, but it gets really awkward when people walk in the room. And then they don't understand why you won't stop reading the book! Lol. this topic brought up memories of the Outsiders, I cried through the whole end of that, I was so happy I read ahead cause I had to read it for school and my teacher was going to make us read the sad part out loud! I don't think I could have taken it! I cry and laugh while I write too because I get so into my characters, that's why I always dread writing the sad parts, even though they're necessary.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Ahh! that's one of the many reasons I just love reading and writing. <3
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Aha! I actually have no recollection of crying when reading (I don't know, maybe it takes a lot for me to cry). But I do have recollection of laughing to the point of tears. Usually when I'm reading and something funny comes up, I'll snort and people will look at me funny. I remember one time I was at school everyone was taking a test and I already finished, so I read. This really funny thing came up and I literally laughed out loud and then I realized I was at school in a quiet room with a bunch of people. Ah...awkward, but good times. Very Happy
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Mayaah wrote:Aha! I actually have no recollection of crying when reading (I don't know, maybe it takes a lot for me to cry). But I do have recollection of laughing to the point of tears. Usually when I'm reading and something funny comes up, I'll snort and people will look at me funny. I remember one time I was at school everyone was taking a test and I already finished, so I read. This really funny thing came up and I literally laughed out loud and then I realized I was at school in a quiet room with a bunch of people. Ah...awkward, but good times. Very Happy

Hahaha that school story was funny!!! I love funny reading related stories Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Mayaah wrote:Aha! I actually have no recollection of crying when reading (I don't know, maybe it takes a lot for me to cry). But I do have recollection of laughing to the point of tears. Usually when I'm reading and something funny comes up, I'll snort and people will look at me funny. I remember one time I was at school everyone was taking a test and I already finished, so I read. This really funny thing came up and I literally laughed out loud and then I realized I was at school in a quiet room with a bunch of people. Ah...awkward, but good times. Very Happy

LOL! That's funny. I snort when I laugh sometimes, too. I remember laughing at something with my friends in a room full of people and I snorted and the whole room went silent for a second and then everyone laughed at me. Embarrassing but funny at the same time.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 am

If I'm invested in the characters, I'm very emotional with books.

Really, I'm not much of an emoter of negative feelings (sadness & anger) in public, so it takes a lot for me to cry. Unless the death or leave-taking is especially wrenching, like in The Return of the King *single dramatic tear* or the end of Harry Potter 6 & 7 *sobbing till I couldn't read*, then it's just mildly sad. (I didn't cry for HP 5, because I didn't actually believe he died for the longest time--not till it was confirmed at the end of the series, which was part of what made me cry.)

The most I've ever laughed out loud was with Percy Jackson--my favorite character in existence. But the series is over. Man, I really miss Percy. (But I think he's coming back. Maybe. *crosses fingers*) Razz

As for writing, I've had to stop myself from grinning stupidly at the computer screen while encouraging my characters in painful awkwardness. Or when they're telling an especially funny joke. (Well, I thought it was funny.) When I went over some of my work after not looking at it in months, I did laugh out loud. I suppose it's a delayed reaction. Smile I haven't written the sad part I have planned though, so no crying yet.
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 am

It takes a lot for me to cry, so I've never cried while writing, though I have grinned stupidly or almost laughed--that's generally when writing my characters into cringe-worthy awkwardness. Smile I don't really cry while writing, I guess, because I enjoy crafting the sadness...it makes me happy, because I am an evil person who gets off on my character's woes, lol. Wink Just kidding.

But if I can feel, while I'm crafting something, that it's got the depth of emotion I'm going for, it's more satisfaction than anything else. Though, when writing an exciting scene, sometimes my heart starts racing and I get all flushed. It's not real, Amanda...you're making it up in your head... I keep trying to tell myself that. I just end up getting weird looks from others in the room because I'm talking to myself.

As Renee' said, I didn't cry for HP 5 because I totally believed that Sirius was coming back. I mean, curtains? Really? Psh. He's totally coming back. But then he didn't. And I cried. Sad And I laughed out loud at Fred and George's antics, and Artemis Fowl and Percy Jackson are also laugh-out-loud for me. So...emotional? Check. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I LOVE a book that makes me cry. I feel SO emotionally involved. I just recently read If I Stay by Gayle Forman &just cried my eyes out because I was so attached to the characters lol. Good thing I was in my room alone ¬ in front of the family. Wink

I've laughed out loud while reading too &gotten weird looks from those around me. I've done the same while writing too.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am

I read a lot and when someone in the story succeeds in something or other I can't stop being happy (and sad parts I sometimes imagine it too well that I have tears in my eyes) same when a part in funny I just laugh but it isn't always funny for other people if I'm reading at 2,3,4 or 5 a.m xD
Stephen
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

https://www.youtube.com/alffbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down