Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunger Games

+5
Mayaah
Sarah
Renée
Amanda
Maggie
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hunger Games Empty Hunger Games

Post  Maggie Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am

I thought I'd start an official topic on Hunger Games, because...well, it deserves one! And there IS a movie coming out (yikes! I know better than to get too hopeful).

I have a Hunger Games T-Shirt. *is wearing it now* And I'm kind of a fan. Just kind of. Not that Peeta is my favorite male character in print. I'm not even sure that was an exaggeration. Very Happy

Who here has read it? And if you did, am I the only big fan here?

(I do mean Hunger Games fan. Not particularly a Catching Fire or Mockingjay fan).
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hunger Games Empty Re: Hunger Games

Post  Amanda Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 am

I am a Hunger Games fan! I liked Peeta, but I actually liked Gale better, personally. *spoiler*spoiler*spoiler* Though I agree that, by the time the events of Mockingjay roll around, he's not the one who's right for her(That doesn't mean he isn't right for me... Razz). I really don't think he'd just let her be in District 12 without calling or writing to figure out why in the heck she acted as she did, though, given their previous friendship.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 am

Yes, definitely a huge fan of Hunger Games, though not so much of its sequels. Super jealous of your T-shirt! Razz I should drop by Borders--see if they have some. I do have a poster, though. It's gold on black, with a circled mockingjay and 'down with the capitol' stenciled in drippy spray paint. Very Happy

Besides the paraphernalia: I'll confess, I was always rooting for Peeta. For me, it didn't seem like Gale was developed enough as a character. As far as I recall, we had Katniss' memories of him being nice, no more appearances during book one, and then him fighting with her, supporting her for two seconds, and then fighting with her again (a lot). And I agree with Amanda, about him not calling…or even sending a letter! Mad
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 am

Amanda wrote:I am a Hunger Games fan! I liked Peeta, but I actually liked Gale better, personally. *spoiler*spoiler*spoiler* Though I agree that, by the time the events of Mockingjay roll around, he's not the one who's right for her(That doesn't mean he isn't right for me... Razz). I really don't think he'd just let her be in District 12 without calling or writing to figure out why in the heck she acted as she did, though, given their previous friendship.

My mom liked Gale better too, at first, and then in the end she too switched to Peeta. I decided on Peeta early on because we were with him and Katniss more and you got to see how amazingly he treated her and such. I liked Gale, too, just not for Katniss. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 am

Renee wrote:Yes, definitely a huge fan of Hunger Games, though not so much of its sequels. Super jealous of your T-shirt! Razz I should drop by Borders--see if they have some. I do have a poster, though. It's gold on black, with a circled mockingjay and 'down with the capitol' stenciled in drippy spray paint. Very Happy

Besides the paraphernalia: I'll confess, I was always rooting for Peeta. For me, it didn't seem like Gale was developed enough as a character. As far as I recall, we had Katniss' memories of him being nice, no more appearances during book one, and then him fighting with her, supporting her for two seconds, and then fighting with her again (a lot). And I agree with Amanda, about him not calling…or even sending a letter! Mad

Ooh, I want a poster! ^^ Yeah it's a black T-shirt and it says "HUNGER GAMES" on the back and has the circle, bird and arrow in gold on the front. <3

I'm so glad you were rooting for Peeta too! I agree with you about Gale totally. And also, about Gale, he always kind of stirred her up. Like Suzanne wrote Katniss didn't need a fire she needed a dandelion in the summer, or whatever she said. And that was sooo true.

Gale was pretty firey. xD
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Lizzy wrote:I'm so glad you were rooting for Peeta too! I agree with you about Gale totally. And also, about Gale, he always kind of stirred her up. Like Suzanne wrote Katniss didn't need a fire she needed a dandelion in the summer, or whatever she said. And that was sooo true.

Gale was pretty firey. xD
Haha...that's why I liked him. But no, Katniss doesn't need any extra fire. I found Peeta too nicey-nice in the first book, for me. He improves in the later ones, though. I still like Gale better. Just not for Katniss. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I need to read that book! I've been wanting to but there have been so many bad reviews on the last one that I'm scared to start it because I know I'll get just as upset as everyone else.

@Amanda, I asked some questions on the general forum about Alaska, if you know any of the answers it would help a lot! If you don't then thats okay too Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Sarah wrote:I need to read that book! I've been wanting to but there have been so many bad reviews on the last one that I'm scared to start it because I know I'll get just as upset as everyone else.

@Amanda, I asked some questions on the general forum about Alaska, if you know any of the answers it would help a lot! If you don't then thats okay too Very Happy

Yeah, the last book was pretty bad. But I'd say you don't even have to read that far (though trust me, you'll want to for the relationship alone! That's why I did) I cried through most of it. :/ But I'm not gonna say any more since you haven't read it.

At least try Hunger Games. It's so good just by itself.

(And Amanda, I didn't think he was too nicey-nice-- LOL. I thought he was perfect! Razz But I can see why you'd say that. Especially compared to Gale).
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I'll definitely give it a try! Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 am

Yeah, at least give the Hunger Games a try. Even if the last book is bad (I haven't read it yet), at least the first two should be worth it! Smile
I'm not a total fan of the Hunger Games, but I do like it and I think the plot and writing deserves the acclaim it has. Smile
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 am

@Maya Did you never like Peeta or Gale?

I normally don't like that genre at all, so I wouldn't read it for weeks after my mom bought it and even after she urged me to give it a try. I don't remember why I finally broke down and did give it a shot, but I was hooked from there. Mostly on the romance.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Lizzy wrote:@Maya Did you never like Peeta or Gale?

I normally don't like that genre at all, so I wouldn't read it for weeks after my mom bought it and even after she urged me to give it a try. I don't remember why I finally broke down and did give it a shot, but I was hooked from there. Mostly on the romance.

I did like Peeta and Gale (I only read up to the first book, so I'm not a very good judge, lol. I'm still not sure who I would choose between. xP).
I don't know, I mean, everything about the books were rightfully amazing, but it just didn't click to me as it did with others.
Smile
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:32 pm

@Maya

I know what you mean. For me it's really the only book of its kind that has clicked for me, so I'm surpised I loved it so much. I was on Peeta's side from the start, but particularly torn after Book 1. It wasn't until I was midway through Book 2 that I knew I was forever going to root for him.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm

I haven't read then yet but they are on my to read list Smile
Stephen
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

https://www.youtube.com/alffbooks

Back to top Go down

Hunger Games Empty Hunger Games!

Post  brookeisawesome Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree that Hunger Games is amazing! Peeta seems so much more... interesting... than Gail. Gail's character hasn't really been explored that deeply in Hunger Games, while Peeta is very dynamic. I haven't read the other books yet, but I'm excited to! I just really hope the Hunger Games moving does justice to the book, because so far the trailers look kind of weak... Sad Please Don't make it Harry Potter or My Sister's Keeper all over again... :p
brookeisawesome
brookeisawesome

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

brookeisawesome wrote:I agree that Hunger Games is amazing! Peeta seems so much more... interesting... than Gail. Gail's character hasn't really been explored that deeply in Hunger Games, while Peeta is very dynamic. I haven't read the other books yet, but I'm excited to! I just really hope the Hunger Games moving does justice to the book, because so far the trailers look kind of weak... Sad Please Don't make it Harry Potter or My Sister's Keeper all over again... :p

I totally agree about Peeta and about the movie! So far I'm OK with the casting of Jennifer Lawrence. Especially after what Suzanne Collins said about her, I think she can pull off Katniss. I'm hopeful. Maybe too hopeful, but hopeful all the same. Smile
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm

I loved Hunger Games. It was sorta chilling.
I sorta was okay with Catching Fire.
I hated Mockingjay. I'm sorry, but I did.

*semi-SPOILER for Mockingjay*
I kinda liked Peeta, but Gale(besides his turn to cold-hearted in the last book) is generally the kind of character I like better. I prefer the ones that do, not the ones that talk through it(Ironically, I'm definitely the latter Razz).
And I kinda hate Katniss. No, wait, I definitely hate Katniss. The only reason her ongoing existence is acceptable in Mockingjay is cause Peeta loved her so much(At the end of Mockingjay, he was the only one I still liked that wasn't dead).

Wait.
There's a MOVIE coming out?! *Leaves to find out about it*
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah, my favorite character was actually Finnick. We all know what happened there, and how stupid that was. Mad I would have totally stopped reading right there if I hadn't really wanted to know how she was going to tie it all up, seeing as both sides were turning out to look like the same evil(I liked how she tied the politics up, but Katniss would've told someone why afterward, like Gale). And I knew she wasn't going to end up with Gale, but I wanted to see how he would be dealt with. Again, lame. But oddly enough, I'm okay with the ending. I just think Gale's send off could've been so much better--he deserved more than an 'oh, and I never saw him again, he's like, in the Capitol, or something...I don't really care.' No

Last edited by Amanda on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Oh yeah, Finnick... He was awesome. I liked him in Mockingjay, until, y'know... Like I said, all my favorites beside Peeta died.(Gale not included. He was a favorite until he wasn't.)

I KNOW!!! Worst wrap-up for a character EVER! That kind of thing is only acceptable for minor characters in TV shows(the ones you see for no more than 5 minutes screen time), not characters that are supposed to be the MC's best friend!! I find it unbelievable, even after what happened, that they would never talk again, ever.

I didn't like the ending. I mean, it wasn't bad. It just wasn't good enough to make up for the book. But then, it would take a LOT to make up killing off most all the decent people. Don't get me wrong, Miss Collins is a very good writer. It was just too dark, for lack of a better word. Dystopian starts off sad/dark. Doesn't mean it has to end that way. Scott Westerfeld's Pretties series ended good(I never read Extras), and that was dystopian, in a... backwards, hidden way.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

*agrees with you both* Mockinjay was no good. I was so sad when Finnick died! And he was so happy with his wife. Sad That SUCKED!

But I was devoted to Peeta the whole time. And I agree he's the main reason I stuck with Katniss the whole time-- there wasn't much to love about her ever, but it just got worse as the books went on. Sad
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Speaking of the wife... Annie, right? Yeah... I totally do not remember her from Catching Fire.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

I actually found the mention of Annie to be one of my favorite parts in Catching Fire, because her voice in the forest was the beginning of delving deeply into Finnick's character. Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 pm

*agrees with Amanda* I loved that too! I got all intrigued at the idea that Finnick, Mr. Every-Girl-Wants-Him, had a lover at home. It was so neat. He didn't deserve to die. Sad (((SPOILERS NEXT!)))) Neither did Prim or any of the hundreds who died in Mockinjay. X_X
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Oh, I loved Annie. She was sweet. I just didn't remember it was her voice in the forest.

The whole all-the-nice-people-dying thing was what made the book so bad. Most read books cause they want to escape real life, choosing stories where there may be hardship, but the people that deserve to live survive and conquer the bad. Mockingjay did not live up to that. It's a shame, too, cause Hunger Games was a good book. I hate it when sequels aren't as good as the first.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Yeah, I agree. There was just too much death and gore and war. I only read to find out what happened to Katniss and Peeta. (((SPOILERS AHEAD))) I ended up crying through most of the chapters from when Peeta was messed with on because I just wanted normal Peeta back. :/ Silly, I know. I got pretty involved. But I didn't even care about the rest of the story.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next