Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scrivener's keeping me accountable!!

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scrivener's keeping me accountable!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Scrivener's keeping me accountable!!

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 am

Haha, I just did the same, and included a bunch of foreign names. Here's a sample of the lovely result.

Kimberley Gascons
Nati Torrente
Ignacja Jasiulewicz
Joanna Chrapowicz
Shaina Lacruz
Carol Pail
Alena Wsgrzyn
Latrice Szypinski
Katie McGookin
Janeen Sinorotski
Phoebe Flex
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Scrivener's keeping me accountable!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Scrivener's keeping me accountable!!

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am

Wsgrzyn. How is that pronounced? Wuss-grrrr-zen?

Lol. I love it. But like I said, I want them to expand it!
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm

LOL!! I know. I especially enjoy Pheobe Flex. It's so random. Sounds like a tiny little woman who never stops talking. xD

This'll be really handy when I need names for just background people that are mentioned. Save me a trip to babynames.com for an "average" name! Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Ha! It DOES! Like the matchmaker lady in "Fiddler on The Roof". Love it.

I know, right? I spend way too much time trying to find names for background characters.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 pm

I spend too much time trying to find names for ANYONE. ESPECIALLY main characters! If I don't make them up myself, I have to make sure it sounds right, looks right, means the right thing, and that I love it too. xD
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Lizzy, you sound kinda like you could be my twin. Razz
I usually just make my own, otherwise I'll spend hours finding the PERFECT name for a character. Not only does it have to fit all that criteria, the name itself has to fit the personality of the character.
...Like... April. One of my characters is a girl named April. She's pretty nice at first, but she's got a nasty streak to her. And I knew a girl named April who was a total snot like that, so the name makes me think of that type of personality.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 pm

I love the name April!! And I've totally based characters off people I've met, too. Somehow it makes it easier to make them believable if you can imagine someone else's facial expressions and voice saying the same exact words. xD

I love names for main characters that have short versions. I once had a protagonist who's name was Livia. All her friends called her "Liv", and I thought that was such a cute shortening of the name!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 pm

It's a pretty name, but it's totally ruined for me now. Razz
But yeah, it's definitely more fun if you can picture someone. Of course, with some characters, it doesn't matter if they weren't based on anyone. I can see them anyway. Those are my favorites. Smile

I shortened "Siobhan" into "Shee" as a nickname for one of my MCs. I love both names now.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 pm

I love "Shee"!! How do you say "Siobhan"?? Si-oh-ban?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:10 pm

No, actually. (I can understand the confusion. I thought it was that too xD) It's She-vawn. Like yawn with a v.
Traditional Irish(translate: Gaelic) names are confusing like that. But they're some of my favorites! I love some of them that are super-long, but when spoken, it's only like... three syllables. And it's not just the names; the whole language is like that.

After I've learned Korean(And Esperanto), I want to learn Gaelic. Yeah... that'll be useful. Razz
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Heh, that's cool! Sounds like it would be a pretty language. xD After I'm fluent in French I may set some time aside to properly learn Korean.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 pm

You should! You even have that super-cute Korean guy around to help you. Someone to practice with always helps.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm

LOL! Yeah, except that super-cute Korean guy only exists in my head, but is based off a real person. xP I only know one Korean person, and I don't know if I would ask her for help or not... I don't see her often.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm

...If he's fictional, who the heck is supposed to translate for us?! Razz
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:42 pm

LOL! Instead of fictional, let's say of-the-future. Razz I fully intend to meet him, I just haven't yet. By the time I've met him, I'll be on my way to if not already in Korea, so then he will exist to translate. Comprendo?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:08 pm

...But what if he doesn't speak English? It would definitely defeat the purpose.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Oh no he would, you see. The guy in my head speaks both, is super cute, and would gladly help me learn. I mean, he's out there somewhere. It's just a matter of meeting him.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Shocked
All righty then... Lemme know if you ever meet this fellow. O.o
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum