Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music anyone? :)

+3
Maggie
Amanda
Dragontamer
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Music anyone? :) Empty Music anyone? :)

Post  Dragontamer Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:47 pm

I like to listen to music while I write, (it helps me write with more feeling Wink ) does anyone else do the same?

I generally like to listen to soundtracks, because music with words makes it hard for me to concentrate on what I'm writing Smile . Most recently, I've been listening to the soundtrack for 'Dinosaurs', but before that it was 'Star Wars'. (Sometimes when I pause and reread, I'll pick a praticular song to fit the mood of the story too, Very Happy )
Dragontamer
Dragontamer
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Music anyone? :) Empty Re: Music anyone? :)

Post  Amanda Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Ooh, music. My favorite. Smile

Currently in my 'writing music' playlist are several Twilight Princess soundtracks, Latika's Theme from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack, one Kingdom Hearts track(those Asian video game composers are pretty amazing), I See Dead People In Boats from the At World's End sountrack, and The Steward of Gondor & Return of the King from LOTR soundtracks. So no lyrics for me, except for Le Tango De Roxanne of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, for when I'm writing jealousy into my man-scenes that need jealousy. It's a lot easier to do so realistically when channeling Ewan McGregor's rage. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragontamer Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:17 am

Sounds like you have a wide variety. Very Happy I've never heard of most of those songs, except the LOTR soundtrack. (I really like the movie Very Happy )

I used to listen to LOTR, as well as the Narnia soundtrack for Prince Caspian. I've been wanting to get the soundtrack for Tron Legacy (the music is awesome! Shocked ), but haven't yet.

What kind of music do you like to listen to when you're not writing? My two favorite singers are Michael W. Smith and Josh Groban (though I only have one of his albums, Smile).
Dragontamer
Dragontamer
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 am

I almost can't write without music! I've been through SO MANY soundtracks! Batman, Braveheart, LOTR (all 3), Narnia, Transformers, The Other Boelyn Girl, Chocolat, Cider House Rules, Pirates (all 3), Troy, Titanic, Walle, Harry Potter (all 6), etc... I ADORE soundtracks! I pick a new one for every novel I write. Very Happy

Right now my current WIP's "soundtrack" is Avatar. It just worked, and now I can think of nothing else when I hear it. Wink And I agree with Amanda, no lyrics! Or it's too hard. Hehe.

And @Dragontamer, I do the EXACT SAME THING about finding a song to fit the mood of the scene!! LOL
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taryn Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Uh-uh. No music while I write (unless my roommate is babbling at the top of her lungs on the phone, in which case I put on something obnoxious (like Lindsay Lohan or Jessica Simpson) at full volume to try to get her to go the hell away (Amanda knows my roommate rant, lol) but she never does.).

But, like Amanda, when I'm trying to figure out a scene, it helps. I had an awesome 2 girls/1 guy love triangle in my Feb WiP, and I listened to Dolly Parton's Jolene, Barbra Streisand's Make No Mistake He's Mine and Left in the Dark, and Cher's Heart of Stone endlessly.

I just realized I mentioned Dolly Parton, Lindsay Lohan, and Cher all in the same post. That's absolutely ridiculous, esp since none are my favorite artists.

Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:51 pm

@Dragontamer--When not writing, I listen to lots of Jars of Clay, Relient K, The Afters, Lifehouse, umm, umm, umm...*goes to check iTunes*, some Rush of Fools, a little Switchfoot, Brandon Heath, Bebo Norman, Phil Wickham, Chris Tomlin, and some JJ Heller. As well as some M.W.S. Smile I also like The Fray, The Beatles, Coldplay, Journey, & Five for Fighting. I have this one Goo Goo Dolls song that I really like--Iris. The name of their band has put me off of the rest of their stuff, lol, but I heard Iris on So You Think You Can Dance, and it was so pretty I just had to have it! Razz I also listen to Yiruma when doing homework, and I have the Braveheart soundtrack for a future book I know it will fit.

@Taryn--lol. I'm glad Renee' is my 'roommate.' Very understanding. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:26 pm

I usually just listen to what my favorite music is at the moment. Right now, K-Pop(Teen Top is my current fav band, but I listen to TVXQ, Big Bang, SS501, 2PM, etc). But the running theme in the majority of my music choices is lively music with good beats. One of my favorites that I always come back to is Celtic, especially instrumental.

The no-words is not usually an issue... But that might be because I don't understand many of the words in K-Pop. Razz

I love the LOTR soundtrack!!! Another song that is amazing is Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Music while I'm writing is a must. :] Actually, music while I do practically anything is a must lol.

During NaNoWriMo last year, I had Taylor Swift's Speak Now album on repeat. I'm a huge fan of hers & the album had just recently come out. So now, while writing, I like to listen to that album. It kind of brings me back to the NaNo days which I seriously LOVE. Very Happy

I want to download movie soundtracks/scores though. :] I think it'd be nice to listen to those while writing.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Constance wrote:I usually just listen to what my favorite music is at the moment. Right now, K-Pop(Teen Top is my current fav band, but I listen to TVXQ, Big Bang, SS501, 2PM, etc). But the running theme in the majority of my music choices is lively music with good beats. One of my favorites that I always come back to is Celtic, especially instrumental.

The no-words is not usually an issue... But that might be because I don't understand many of the words in K-Pop. Razz

I love the LOTR soundtrack!!! Another song that is amazing is Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell.

I love Big bang & 2PM. And I totally agree about not understanding the words, LOL! But I don't like it for writing. Smile
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Shahira wrote:Music while I'm writing is a must. :] Actually, music while I do practically anything is a must lol.

During NaNoWriMo last year, I had Taylor Swift's Speak Now album on repeat. I'm a huge fan of hers & the album had just recently come out. So now, while writing, I like to listen to that album. It kind of brings me back to the NaNo days which I seriously LOVE. Very Happy

I want to download movie soundtracks/scores though. :] I think it'd be nice to listen to those while writing.

*nods* And I find that soundtracks tend to work for those of us who lean toward the more, erm... melodramatic *cough*emo*cough* side. Woah, nasty cough I have there. Wink
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Shahira wrote:Music while I'm writing is a must. :] Actually, music while I do practically anything is a must lol.

*nods* And I find that soundtracks tend to work for those of us who lean toward the more, erm... melodramatic *cough*emo*cough* side. Woah, nasty cough I have there. Wink
haha Lizzy, there's no shame in being emo! :] No, but, I totally agree. I love listening to the Pearl Harbor score because it's just SO sad. I haven't downloaded music in so long. I need to get on that. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:36 am

@Lizzy I can understand why people might not like words while writing, but for me, the music is just my preferred background noise to cover up the other background noises(boys playing, baby, etc). If I'm really focused on my writing, I usually end up tuning the music out. Razz

I like them, but they still aren't my favorite. And I still don't get the whole T.O.P. and GD thing yet, either. Razz
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:41 pm

@Constance "The whole T.O.P and GD thing" LOL!! I don't get the whole 2010-11 GD & T.O.P thing, but I love the old Big Bang music-- the real stuff. Wink I used to have a celeb crush on GD, I just think he's the cutest thing. People change. ^^

But yeah, no lyrics when I write!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am

@Lizzy ...Oh, this is a new thing? Heh... I still don't get it, though.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Well, GD's always followed a style all his own, but their latest stuff together is getting weirder and weirder. I actually don't listen to any of their new music, 2010 on. :/
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I see. I'll have to remember that. And steer clear of it. Razz
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 pm

LOL! For sure. Wink I hate to give their stuff a bad name, because I know how hard they work. But the lyrics just don't flip my cookie. But hey, if you ever see them passing in South Korea (now you KNOW I'm a dreamer with this kind of stuff!) blow them a kiss for me. Wink
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:08 pm

...Uh, no. I'm not blowing them kisses. *shivers* I wouldn't even blow kisses to the celebrities I do love, let alone the ones I don't. But I'll see if I can get you a signature or souvenir or something. Razz
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:54 pm

No kisses? Sad Rats. I blew kisses "to them from America" a lot during my fan days. But heck yeah, a signature or souvenir would be treasured always.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't listen to music when I write. I find that if I have some playing, my head quickly blocks it out as I write. But if I try to avoid blocking it out, I get distracted and can't write. Must be a 'boys-can't-multitask' thing...
Matthew
Matthew
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.matthewdodwell.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:21 pm

@Lizzy Done! ...Within reason. I won't manhunt to get you a souvenir. O.o

@Scribbler They––they don't? My brother is great at multi-tasking. He can single-handedly eat all the food in the house, play computer games, listen to annoying music, and insult me whenever I walk by. And he manages to breathe the whole time! (I'm rather disappointed by that last one.)
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 am

No one said anything about a manhunt. Just a quick drop-by to grab me a souvenir, because you love me! Hehe. ^^
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Taryn Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 am

@Scribbler I totally agree
@Constance I LOL'd at that, and right now we have a tornado warning in the basement of the dorms with hundreds of girls around me. THANKS FOR MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A FREAK. :p
Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

@Lizzy Just making sure we were clear on that. My best friend told her to bring her a souvenir too––a really handsome(but not pretty) boy, preferably a K-Pop band member of some sort. I told her it wouldn't happen... cause they're all pretty. xP

@Taryn Yes! My mind control works over great distances! Wink *sends delicious cheesecake to make up for it*
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 pm

@Constance--LOL. My brother does the exact same things, so I share your disappointment. Wink But my brother has absolutely no wit, so I find his insults rather lacking. Growing up with all guy friends in elementary school gave me rather high standards.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next