Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visuals of your Characters

5 posters

Go down

Visuals of your Characters Empty Visuals of your Characters

Post  Taryn Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:47 am

Hey guys,

I'm one of those people who has problems getting a good picture of my character into my head. I see people who make dolls, draw pictures, find celeb look-a-likes, but I can't get into any of that.

How do you visualize your characters? Do you have pictures of them? Share, share!
Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Visuals of your Characters Empty Re: Visuals of your Characters

Post  Amanda Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I also have a terribly difficult time getting a good picture of my characters into my head, unless their features are based on someone already in existence. I would draw them, except I can't draw people. Flowers, landscapes, ect., yes. People, no.

So I've got approx. weight, height, hair color, skin color, and eye color, but I'm pretty sketchy on the rest of the details. And some of those details have changed between drafts, so I forget sometimes. Heh. Embarassed I find that some of my best scenes, the ones that actually grip me, even being the author, include characters that I have a good mental picture of. So I should really get going on that, huh? Razz Maybe I should surf for celeb. look-a-likes. It would probably help, if I could find people, but I'm terrible at it, so we'll see. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm the same as Amanda. I know the basics but I can't really visualize their faces. Every once and a while I'll see an actor or actress on tv and think 'they would play a really good Paul in the story' but they never look exactly the way I think they do if that makes any sense.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:30 pm

I can picture what my characters look from afar, but when I look too close I can't make out their faces. But things like eye color or the way their hair sits I know. Just the face as a whole I can't picture. :] Sometimes, instead of seeing an actor &thinking of my character, I do the opposite. I see a hot celebrity *cough*TaylorLautner*cough* &base my characters looks on the person lol. Is that lame? Embarassed
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 am

Same as most people, I don't have a 100% clear image of my characters in my head, they are always kind of out-of-focus... I know, but I don't know. I will, however, use celebrity pictures to get an idea of hair color/face structure/eye color /face feature etc. to help me along because I am a visual learner and so in most aspects a picture helps me to write better. I'll also draw them (I usually have the face turned away or it's inaccurate, hehe) and I have made a doll or two before as well, but those were just for gathering dust on my shelf so I could smile at them. ;P
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taryn Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 am

Should probably clarify by "make a doll" I meant those dress-up dolls online.

Interesting answers. I have a folder of inspirational pictures for each novel, and I try to choose people with similar features to my characters. By the end of my queried novel, I couldn't imagine anything other than one of the girls in the one of the pictures as my MC, if that makes sense.
Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down