Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QOTD Monday August 8

+3
Renée
Amanda
Maggie
7 posters

Go down

QOTD Monday August 8 Empty QOTD Monday August 8

Post  Maggie Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 am

Happy Monday! Errr... sure. *coughs* Anyway.

QUESTION: Do you go by your real name online? Why or why not?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

QOTD Monday August 8 Empty Re: QOTD Monday August 8

Post  Maggie Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 am

My answer is: NO.

Lizzy is NOT my real name. (Unfortunately).

Right now, I'm not sure why I still do. If anything, I would go by my first name. At first when I was just dipping my toes in the crazy Online Writing World, I was almost paranoid about real names/locations etc. But as the months have passed I've learned to kind of chill out more. While I might not be comfortable with using my first and last name, I wouldn't mind going by my real first name.

However, I think I'm too much 'LIZZY' now to go back. Perhaps one day that'll change. For now, I'll just have to stay Lizzy. Good thing I love the name.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm

2-3 years ago, when I was equally paranoid and didn't understand that authors can use the internet to build their names online so more people buy their books, I went by Kestrel, after my favorite character from the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson. I still really love the name, and I've actually named a major character after her(Kessa, so it's not TOTALLY copying.), but I definitely go by my real name now. I hope to build a bit of a platform just from my blog and twitter and other things online, though I should probably change my last name to what I'm going to use in publishing...it's my mother's maiden name, so I don't need to change my published last name if/when I get married in the future.

The things you really need to worry about (online predators, ect.) aren't really as common as they're made out to be on television, and I'd say they're rather nonexistent in the writer's world--we're all too smart to fall into their traps. Razz

OH! Funny story. So I was telling my RL friend Kayla about you guys--that I consider you guys my friends even though we've never met face-to-face *hugs*--and Kayla was like "just don't agree to meet any of them!" She's a bit paranoid. So to tease her, I told her about Taryn living like fifteen minutes from the college I'm going to in the spring, and that we were going to try to meet up at the end of classes. Kayla was like "TARYN IS A CREEPY STALKER MAN!!! DO NOT GO MEET *finger quotes* HER!"

She was actually dead serious. I laughed at her. And then I made some comments about how awesome Taryn is, and Kayla was like "He's your future husband! I called it! You guys are going to get married!" And I was like "...No, because that would make me a lesbian." And she's like, "I already told you--Taryn is a man!" This went on for a while, and Kayla is still convinced that Taryn is a man. XP
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Like Amanda, 2-3 years ago I went by a pseudonym, and my name was something I made up, for a character that no longer exists, called Trist. I still think it's a cool name, but I like being known as myself. Smile

@Amanda -- Lol...Kayla. Sometimes she amuses me without meaning to. Very Happy
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 pm

At first, I didn't. I was WriteSpinner––a username I still use some places, but not everywhere. I prefer my real name. I like it. It's pretty and unique and I should be proud of it. *takes moment to be proud of my name* Razz

I'm probably not as cautious as I should be. But whatever. I won't be meeting any of you in RL for a while, and by the time I do I'll have mad ninja skills, so it won't matter if you're a creeper or not. Wink (Except Twin. I might not have mad ninja skills when I meet her. But I'll have a toothpick, so there! We have this WHOLE meeting scene planned out. Very Happy)

@Amanda HA! Wow, she makes my heart smile.
My sister did that. I was telling her about Lizzy (Trying to explain why I called her Twin) and Karin was all like, "She's actually a 90-yr-old man." I told her it wasn't so, cause I'd talked to her on the phone, but she was persistant. "No, no! That was his niece who helps him lure in people on the internet!"
But unlike your Kayla, Karin wasn't serious. She was just being weird because she likes to be weird.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Amanda wrote:2-3 years ago, when I was equally paranoid and didn't understand that authors can use the internet to build their names online so more people buy their books, I went by Kestrel, after my favorite character from the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson. I still really love the name, and I've actually named a major character after her(Kessa, so it's not TOTALLY copying.), but I definitely go by my real name now. I hope to build a bit of a platform just from my blog and twitter and other things online, though I should probably change my last name to what I'm going to use in publishing...it's my mother's maiden name, so I don't need to change my published last name if/when I get married in the future.

The things you really need to worry about (online predators, ect.) aren't really as common as they're made out to be on television, and I'd say they're rather nonexistent in the writer's world--we're all too smart to fall into their traps. Razz

OH! Funny story. So I was telling my RL friend Kayla about you guys--that I consider you guys my friends even though we've never met face-to-face *hugs*--and Kayla was like "just don't agree to meet any of them!" She's a bit paranoid. So to tease her, I told her about Taryn living like fifteen minutes from the college I'm going to in the spring, and that we were going to try to meet up at the end of classes. Kayla was like "TARYN IS A CREEPY STALKER MAN!!! DO NOT GO MEET *finger quotes* HER!"

She was actually dead serious. I laughed at her. And then I made some comments about how awesome Taryn is, and Kayla was like "He's your future husband! I called it! You guys are going to get married!" And I was like "...No, because that would make me a lesbian." And she's like, "I already told you--Taryn is a man!" This went on for a while, and Kayla is still convinced that Taryn is a man. XP

I love the name Kestrel! Did you ever read "Mad Kestrel"?? And I can't imagine you going by anything other than Amanda. How funny! Very Happy

And I love that story. Taryn's a man-- LOL! Yeah... my mom and dad had a bit of a subdued version of that reaction when I first threw it out there I want to meet Taryn, Constance, Sarah, etc. I think they're "cool with it" but chaperones might be in order. Or at least a friend. *nods*

But yes. Writers are TOO smart for that kind of thing. And it isn't as big as it's made out to be. Smile
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Constance wrote:At first, I didn't. I was WriteSpinner––a username I still use some places, but not everywhere. I prefer my real name. I like it. It's pretty and unique and I should be proud of it. *takes moment to be proud of my name* Razz

I'm probably not as cautious as I should be. But whatever. I won't be meeting any of you in RL for a while, and by the time I do I'll have mad ninja skills, so it won't matter if you're a creeper or not. Wink (Except Twin. I might not have mad ninja skills when I meet her. But I'll have a toothpick, so there! We have this WHOLE meeting scene planned out. Very Happy)

@Amanda HA! Wow, she makes my heart smile.
My sister did that. I was telling her about Lizzy (Trying to explain why I called her Twin) and Karin was all like, "She's actually a 90-yr-old man." I told her it wasn't so, cause I'd talked to her on the phone, but she was persistant. "No, no! That was his niece who helps him lure in people on the internet!"
But unlike your Kayla, Karin wasn't serious. She was just being weird because she likes to be weird.

*laughs* Toothpicks, for the win! And I haven't decided what I'm bringing yet. I suppose I should have SOME sort of weapon. Maybe a hairpin?

But seriously. By the time I get around to meeting some of you guys I probably won't be a teenager anymore, and I'll simply bring someone with me and meet in a public place. Precautions never hurt, but it doesn't help to be paranoid, either. And I trust you guys. Possibly too much.

AND, your name IS awesome, Constance. I will eventually go by mine, when I feel like unravelling all the work I've done as Lizzy. O_O
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 pm

LOL at Amanda's funny story!

When I first started out on the internet, I had a pseudonym too (Little Scribbler) which I used because I thought there would be creepy old "Taryn men" out on the internet. I've changed it since I started my blog, but still find it weird to see my name/picture everywhere.
Matthew
Matthew
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.matthewdodwell.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 pm

@Matt I remember that! I didn't know if you were a boy or girl at first. And it's much better to see a name/face now. And so far no one's showed up on your doorstep with a gun, right? *laughs*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 pm

@Twin Yes. A hairpin sounds quite fitting.
Psh. All your work as Lizzy won't be undone.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm

I go by my real name the whole time, I never thought about using anything else Smile
Stephen
Stephen
Level 5
Level 5

https://www.youtube.com/alffbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm

You're not really Lizzy. D:
Aha, you seem like a Lizzy.

Well, it depends on the website. A site like Omegle, say, (If you don't know what omegle is... it's a place to talk to strangers, yes, dangerous) I always use an alias. But a site like here, I don't have a problem sharing my real name. But usually, I only share my first name, not my whole name.
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

@Maya That sounds like a smart plan! And no... I'm not really Lizzy. I wish I'd made that more publicized. I always feel guilty when people are surprised.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down