Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite book ever?

+2
Sarah
Maggie
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite book ever? Empty Favorite book ever?

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

What is your favorite book of all time, and why?

(mean question, I know)
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Favorite book ever? Empty Re: Favorite book ever?

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Very mean question! I have to say Pride and Prejudice. I read it in seventh grade because I wanted to prove that I could since everyone kept saying how hard of a book it was to read. I was so proud of myself when I finished it! And I loved it so much! I think I've watched the movie of it a million times. (The one with Kera Knightly - sorry if I spelled her name wrong Smile )
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Sarah wrote:Very mean question! I have to say Pride and Prejudice. I read it in seventh grade because I wanted to prove that I could since everyone kept saying how hard of a book it was to read. I was so proud of myself when I finished it! And I loved it so much! I think I've watched the movie of it a million times. (The one with Kera Knightly - sorry if I spelled her name wrong Smile )

Excellent choice! I love Pride and Prejudice even though I was something like 13 when I read it, and I admit to yawning a couple times. I should try again. I'll probably appreciate it much more!

I haven't watched the Kiera Knightley version because I don't know how they can properly fit the story into a movie that length. I'm a diehard fan of the A&E version with Colin Firth and Jenifer whats-her-name. Smile
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm

In seventh grade I was 12, but I fast read so I skim over the boring parts, I don't even notice them Smile lol, thats why if I read a really good book then I have to read it twice at least and three or four times if it was amazing!
Normally I don't like movies based on books I've read because the movies are never as good as them but I was surprised at how much I loved the movie Pride and Prejudice! You have to watch the Kiera Knightley version!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Sarah wrote:In seventh grade I was 12, but I fast read so I skim over the boring parts, I don't even notice them Smile lol, thats why if I read a really good book then I have to read it twice at least and three or four times if it was amazing!
Normally I don't like movies based on books I've read because the movies are never as good as them but I was surprised at how much I loved the movie Pride and Prejudice! You have to watch the Kiera Knightley version!

I will watch it if you watch the A&E version. Laughing
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:05 pm

This is a very mean question. I can't choose! Umm...umm...The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. There. That's my favorite. (Haha, inside my head, I'm like, but what about Abhorsen, and Artemis Fowl, and Slaves of the Mastery, and...Razz)

It's my favorite because it's a huge inspiration for me--the writing is lyrical, the relationships and the characters are all well developed, and it's a classic love story with a little twist, and I love it. Plus, it's based on a fairytale, but has lots of originality. When I read it, it really gets me 'into the zone' with my own writing. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

@Lizzy, Deal! *goes looking for it*

@Amanda I've never actually read that book. What's it about??? And I totally know what you mean about books inspiring you. Some times I'll read such an amazing book that I'll stop in the middle of it and go "Wow, I want to write a book this amazing!" and then spend the next three hours writing more in whatever WIP I have at the time.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm so behind on life & haven't read Pride & Prejudice but I've half seen the movie(wasn't paying full attention lol). I recently picked up &got to the 5th chapter before putting it down again. I'm just weird &have to be in a certain mood to read classics. But eventually I'll get through it. Smile

I don't know if I can choose a favorite because there's just SO many good books. Looking for Alaska by John Green or maybe Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher? I love a book that really changes me, or inspires me to write better.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Shahira wrote: I'm just weird &have to be in a certain mood to read classics. But eventually I'll get through it. Smile.

That's totally not weird! I have to be in "the right mood" to read Dickens or Jane Austen or anything like. I'll fall asleep otherwise. The one classic novel I didn't have a hard time with was "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte - I loved it! But at the same time I think I was in a "Jane Austen mood" at the time
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Shahira wrote:I'm so behind on life & haven't read Pride & Prejudice but I've half seen the movie(wasn't paying full attention lol). I recently picked up &got to the 5th chapter before putting it down again. I'm just weird &have to be in a certain mood to read classics. But eventually I'll get through it. Smile

I don't know if I can choose a favorite because there's just SO many good books. Looking for Alaska by John Green or maybe Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher? I love a book that really changes me, or inspires me to write better.

I have to be in a certain mood to read classics too Smile
And I loved Thirteen reasons Why, I read it two days ago and was like "wow!"
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

@Lizzy Jane Eyre is another one that I started reading then the whole classics mood just went away so I stopped lol. It took me like 7 tries to read Wuthering Heights which I ended up loving so I'm glad I stuck with it. Smile

@Sarah Wasn't that novel crazy good?! Just the concept behind it was amazing. I can't wait till the movie comes out. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:23 pm

I keep saying every summer that I'm going to read Wuthering Heights and I never do.. Maybe this summer! Smile
That novel was sooo amazing! I loved it! I heard they were making a movie and that Selena Gomez (sp?) will be in it, I think she's a good actress, but I'm not sure if she'll be good in it, so I guess we will see. I just really hope it will be even a little bit as good as the book!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

I have yet to read Wuthering Heights. Shocked I actually have yet to read a lot of the classics.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am

You all DEFINITELY have to read Wuthering Heights. It's kind of confusing at first but the story falls in place &it's just amazing. Smile

@Sarah I was reading on the authors blog &he actually went &hung out with Selena Gomez a couple of times before deciding that she should play the part for Hannah. He said he wasn't sure that she would do his character justice but apparently he thought so. Smile I'm hoping he's right &the movie will be good. She's a cute girl &a good actress but I just always pictured Hannah with like dirty blonde hair & blue eyes(like the girl on the cover.)
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:19 am

Sarah wrote:@Lizzy, Deal! *goes looking for it*

@Amanda I've never actually read that book. What's it about??? And I totally know what you mean about books inspiring you. Some times I'll read such an amazing book that I'll stop in the middle of it and go "Wow, I want to write a book this amazing!" and then spend the next three hours writing more in whatever WIP I have at the time.
It's about a princess who's engaged to a foreign prince she's never met, and on the way to his kingdom, her lady-in-waiting and guards make an attempt on her life, and she runs away. They arrive in the capital, where the lady-in-waiting pretends to be the princess, and the real princess has to get a menial job as a goose girl. The fantastical element is that everything has a language, and the princess grows up knowing how to talk to birds and horses. The lady-in-waiting has "people-speaking", so she's extremely persuasive. It's awesome. Smile

And in response to the rest of the conversation, I really need to read some of these classics! I've read about half of Pride & Prejudice(have it on Kindle for Mac), and I think Jane Eyre was next on my list.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 am

Shahira wrote:You all DEFINITELY have to read Wuthering Heights. It's kind of confusing at first but the story falls in place &it's just amazing. Smile

@Sarah I was reading on the authors blog &he actually went &hung out with Selena Gomez a couple of times before deciding that she should play the part for Hannah. He said he wasn't sure that she would do his character justice but apparently he thought so. Smile I'm hoping he's right &the movie will be good. She's a cute girl &a good actress but I just always pictured Hannah with like dirty blonde hair & blue eyes(like the girl on the cover.)

Ok, if he says she'll be a good actress for Hannah then I will trust in the author... But I also imagined her with blond hair and blue eyes.. Well as long as the movies good then I'll be happy!!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 am

Amanda wrote:
Sarah wrote:@Lizzy, Deal! *goes looking for it*

It's about a princess who's engaged to a foreign prince she's never met, and on the way to his kingdom, her lady-in-waiting and guards make an attempt on her life, and she runs away. They arrive in the capital, where the lady-in-waiting pretends to be the princess, and the real princess has to get a menial job as a goose girl. The fantastical element is that everything has a language, and the princess grows up knowing how to talk to birds and horses. The lady-in-waiting has "people-speaking", so she's extremely persuasive. It's awesome. Smile

And in response to the rest of the conversation, I really need to read some of these classics! I've read about half of Pride & Prejudice(have it on Kindle for Mac), and I think Jane Eyre was next on my list.

That sounds like an amazing book! *puts on on top of my 'to read' list* I really want to know how the story ends now, well at least I'm going to the library today Smile

You have to tell me what you think of it when your done reading!!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 am

*agrees with Sarah* That DOES sound like an amazing book! Now I want to read it.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:13 pm

You should! I've probably read it five times since I first picked it up in sixth grade. Smile I'm due to reread it again in the summer, lol.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:41 am

Amanda wrote:You should! I've probably read it five times since I first picked it up in sixth grade. Smile I'm due to reread it again in the summer, lol.
It's probably more than five. I know I've read it at least six times, if not seven or eight. Oh, and I'm going to have to steal it from you as my favorite book, because it is. Very Happy Thinking about it, it strikes me as awesome, because 1) it is, and 2) it was the first incredibly well-written book I'd ever read. The Goose Girl has always been my role model--since reading it, that's the book I aspire to match in skill. Man, I love her writing. I love you
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragontamer Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 am

I'm new to this website, but it looks real fun, so I thought I'd join. It's hard to say which book is my absolute favorite, because I like so many of them, but it would probably be... either "Les Miserables" or the "Lord of the Rings" series, I can't narrow it down any further. Wink
Dragontamer
Dragontamer
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 am

Welcome to WriteOn! Smile LOTR is one of my favorites, too.
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am

Dragontamer wrote:I'm new to this website, but it looks real fun, so I thought I'd join. It's hard to say which book is my absolute favorite, because I like so many of them, but it would probably be... either "Les Miserables" or the "Lord of the Rings" series, I can't narrow it down any further. Wink

Welcome! Smile Lord of the Rings scares me ever since my parents decided it would be a good idea to take me to the movie when I was like 9 (can't remember what year they came out) Ugh, that creepy "my precious" guy still gives me nightmares lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Dragontamer wrote:I'm new to this website, but it looks real fun, so I thought I'd join. It's hard to say which book is my absolute favorite, because I like so many of them, but it would probably be... either "Les Miserables" or the "Lord of the Rings" series, I can't narrow it down any further. Wink

Welcome to Write On! I love your picture. It makes me happy. Smile

Lord of the Rings was my favorite for a long, long time. Then I found some other books, LOL! But he's still at the top of my list. I admire his world-building so intensely. He's my inspiration. Very Happy
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Sarah wrote:
Welcome! Smile Lord of the Rings scares me ever since my parents decided it would be a good idea to take me to the movie when I was like 9 (can't remember what year they came out) Ugh, that creepy "my precious" guy still gives me nightmares lol

Oh no! LOL. That made me chuckle. The "my precious" guy...LOL! That's Gollum. I love Gollum. He makes me laugh and while he's creepy you also feel a bit sorry for him as his story unfolds. Laughing LOTR would have scared me at 9 too. My parents didn't let me watch it till I was ready...and even then I was a bit, just a bit, scared to sleep that night. Shocked
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next