Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight or Harry Potter?

+5
Mayaah
Shahira
Amanda
Sarah
Maggie
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Twilight or Harry Potter? Empty Twilight or Harry Potter?

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:46 pm

I figured you can't have a forum without this official discussion.

Twilight or Harry Potter? Why?
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Twilight or Harry Potter? Empty Re: Twilight or Harry Potter?

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 pm

I can't answer this question yet because I ... get ready ...haven't read Twilight. Yet. I've read excerpts and such, and I did read how the story ends (oh horrors!) but I have yet to sit down and make myself read it.

I admit I got a little snobby over it when I was so disappointed with her writing in the excerpts. I'm going to try, but I'm not really looking forward to it. Wink

And I do love JK's writing and her world building is phenomenal even if I'm not a big Wizard and Witch fan.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:03 pm

lol Lizzy her writing actually isn't that good. The thought that goes through my mind is a quote that some person said (can't remember who) "It could be the worst book in the world, read it anyways, because if its published that means the writer had to do something right" haha

Its still a hard one though! I read Harry Potter with my older brother and my mom so it was one of those fun family memories of us all together and I liked the story and all but it felt like there was something missing when I was reading it.

As for Twilight, all I can say is that series is dangerous. My mom and I had so many fights about who got to read the books first (unfair of me because she bought them). I think the book even got thrown at the wall once! After the third one my mom just looked at me and said "We're getting two books when Breaking Dawn comes out" The funny thing was that the writing was awful (In my opinion) the story was the only thing it had going for it, and personally I think there are a lot of books out there that are better that Twilight. Twilight was the first book that I had to force myself to read because it didn't get exciting or interesting until the 10th chapter. I actually only started reading it because this famous person I really liked said it was reading it (give me a break I was 11!)

Okay, after writing this really long description I would have to say Harry Potter because it was better written, crazy imaginative (which you got to love), and everyone could read it Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

@Sarah Nice! I had some mini-fights with my mom over who got to read Mockingjay first when it came. She won because she payed for it but I made her swear not to drop a word, not even a facial expression, until I was done reading it. LOL!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I've read both series--each book in Harry Potter at least twice(1-5 have been read multiple times), and in the Twilight saga, I think I've read one or two of them twice(prolly the first two). I have to say that while I was reading Twilight, I was a bit obsessed. I'm obsessed with Harry Potter, but the Twilight thing was different--it has so little going for it, but I was still compelled by some unseen force to read more. And I've since realized what that was.

Tension. Stephenie Meyer is a master of tension, and little else. And tension is what keeps you reading. Who cares if Edward is controlling and a stalker? What if their relationship is kind of abusive? So what? I need to keep reading!

So with the clarity of hindsight, HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY! Haha, but seriously--I've found so few errors and slip-ups in the books, and JK Rowling created such a complex world, that I wouldn't blame her for forgetting a few more details along the way. My only real problem with them is that Harry and Ginny's relationship is grown off screen and told to us, instead of shown. We basically just have to accept that they're in love now.

But I adore her characters, her humor, and the ending was the best. I was sobbing through the last several chapters, the first time I read book 7, because I thought Harry might actually die. It takes a lot to make me cry and laugh out loud in reaction to a book, and I've totally done both with these. Wow, that was long. I am sorry for my rambling--I have very strong opinions, lol. Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:09 pm

@Lizzy, my mom would always win but then I would go and take the book when she would put it down, which was the cause of most the fights haha

@Amanda - You are soo right! I mean the characters in the book (besides Alice, Emmett, Quil, and possibly a select few) were not very lovable. Edward was sort of creepy if you thought about it and the relationship was very abusive, and yet I still wanted to read more. I never really thought about it but you are so right about the tension thing! As for Harry Potter, I loved that book, its funny that I didn't catch any slip-ups (but I read it last when I was like 12 or 13 so I wasn't too focused on it and books were so long that by the time I read the next one it was hard to remember any specific details about the one before it). I really wish she wrote more about Harry and Ginny falling in love instead of, as you said, just showing us! And I cried at the end of the 7th book too! I knew he was going to live, because I knew that he couldn't not live, but it was still so sad! And lol, I have very strong opinions too soo no worries Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Amanda wrote: My only real problem with them is that Harry and Ginny's relationship is grown off screen and told to us, instead of shown. We basically just have to accept that they're in love now.

Totally, totally agreed!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I agree with most people & think that Meyer's writing pretty much sucked. But for me, the story was really intriguing &some characters really grew on me. I'm not going to lie, I was crazy obsessed. I've read the whole series over a few times. I've dumbed it down a bit now. Smile

As for Harry Potter, I haven't read the books yet. I've got a friend who's obsessed that keeps bugging me about it but I just can't make myself do it. :/ I guess eventually I'll have to read it just because it's this huge thing but I'm just not looking forward to it.

I'd definitely choose Twilight. Smile

p.s. It's funny that you guys have mini-fights with your moms over who gets to read the books first lol. If anything, my sister & I would have those fights but we just buy separate copies to avoid that.
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

You have to read Harry Potter! Just keep in mind that it was written as a MG novel Smile But they are really good, and trust me her writing is ten times better than Stephenies!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

*agrees with Sarah* You definitely have to read it. If anything, for the same reason I'm going to read Twilight. Just so you can give an educated opinion. Razz I'm sure you'll get sucked in! It's almost impossible not to. Even my sister (who never reads) got through the first 3 books. That's a pretty big deal!
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 pm

That's a part of the problem. It seems so childish because it originally was written a younger audience so I'm just so blah about it. But I'll force myself to sit down & read it eventually lol. It'll be funny if I end up actually liking it. What a Face
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Even if it's geared toward a young audience (only like the first five books are because the books seem to grow up with Harry) it's one of those rare books that you love it anyway. I mean, I remember my mom and brother (he was like 13) fighting over the Harry Potter books. My mom! That's how much she liked them! You'll probably end up loving them by the end of the series! But, maybe I'm biased because those are the books I grew up with... Litererally. One would come out every year until I was 13 I think. I remember being 11 and expecting my Hogwarts letter in the mail lol Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

The first 3 or 4 were geared for a younger age but I'd say 5+ get darker and probably shouldn't be considered MG after that. My favorite(s) were 4 and 5, ESPECIALLY 5. So. *shrug*
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 pm

My all time favorite was defientely number 4!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Lol, Harry Potter, of course. I think sometimes people exaggerate how bad Meyer is at writing, but Rowling is better than Meyer by a long shot. For me, Rowling wins character-wise, plot-wise, and style-wise. Plus, she's British, and I love British people lol. I think my fave HP book would be The Order of the Phoenix.
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.twitter.com/mayaah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Mayaah wrote:Lol, Harry Potter, of course. I think sometimes people exaggerate how bad Meyer is at writing, but Rowling is better than Meyer by a long shot. For me, Rowling wins character-wise, plot-wise, and style-wise. Plus, she's British, and I love British people lol. I think my fave HP book would be The Order of the Phoenix.

Order of the Phoenix and Goblet of Fire were my two favorites. They tie.

I LOVE British people too! Did you know a french teacher told me in a review of one of my speaking submissions that I have a "delightful British accent" when I speak french? It's bizarre, but I'll take it any day! I'm so glad I sound British and not American when I speak French! Laughing
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 am

@Sarah I'm thinking I'll end up liking them so I'll definitely give them a go. Smile haha I think that's awesome that you grew up reading them. &I think it's great that even your mom reads them. My mom doesn't read at all so I can't talk to her about books. Sad
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 am

Lizzy wrote:
Mayaah wrote:Lol, Harry Potter, of course. I think sometimes people exaggerate how bad Meyer is at writing, but Rowling is better than Meyer by a long shot. For me, Rowling wins character-wise, plot-wise, and style-wise. Plus, she's British, and I love British people lol. I think my fave HP book would be The Order of the Phoenix.

I LOVE British people too! Did you know a french teacher told me in a review of one of my speaking submissions that I have a "delightful British accent" when I speak french? It's bizarre, but I'll take it any day! I'm so glad I sound British and not American when I speak French! Laughing
Haha, British people are awesome! I watch movies and shows with British accents just to improve mine, lol.

I think my favorite HP book was actually The Deathly Hallows, because everything came together so awesomely/all those little hints made sense now, and it made me cry, and Snape became my favorite character. Smile I really liked The Order of the Phoenix--for the Umbrigeness and wizard angst. Very Happy
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renée Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 am

British people are awesome!

Anyway…HP rules all. Tell your friends. Wink But Stephenie does have some good things going for her, too, along with tension. She writes simplistically--short sentences, short paragraphs, lots of dialogue, and basic vocabulary words. And if they're not basic, she faithfully explains them.

Her simplicity isn't great if you're analyzing the writing for style, but it's good for people less inclined to read. I've heard of a lot of reluctant readers who gave Twilight a shot, devoured it, and then became not-so-reluctant readers. I mean, I wouldn't say Twilight is the healthiest role model, but if the ends justify the means… tongue

That said, my vote is for HP, always and forever. The middle-grade-ness of the first couple books just makes it fun, for me. I'm not sure which book is my favorite, though. I really liked the 3rd…but I also liked the 7th. Then again, the 4th was awesome…and the 5th. Ugh. I'm horrible at choosing.
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:15 am

Amanda wrote:
Haha, British people are awesome! I watch movies and shows with British accents just to improve mine, lol.

I think my favorite HP book was actually The Deathly Hallows, because everything came together so awesomely/all those little hints made sense now, and it made me cry, and Snape became my favorite character. Smile I really liked The Order of the Phoenix--for the Umbrigeness and wizard angst. Very Happy

I love watching British movies and British TV comedies.

I loved the Umbridge stuff too! She's one of the best villains I've ever read. You just HATE HER.
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 am

Shahira wrote:@Sarah I'm thinking I'll end up liking them so I'll definitely give them a go. Smile haha I think that's awesome that you grew up reading them. &I think it's great that even your mom reads them. My mom doesn't read at all so I can't talk to her about books. Sad

Aww I'm sorry! But, at least now you have all of us to talk nonstop about books Smile and I'm glad your going to give the HP books a chance! Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Lizzy wrote:

That's so cool! J'aime parler francais, mais when I speak it I sound, well, French. Lol. At least I don't have an American accent. I think it's because I listen to French music a lot and sing it when I'm by myself. In the shower. Where no one can hear me. lol. xP
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Amanda wrote:
Lizzy wrote:

Lols. xP I don't even remember why I liked Order of the Phoenix (I really need to reread my HP books), I just remember after reading it I decided "This is definitely my favorite one", and after I read the rest I still stuck to the Order.

Yeah, I will watch British people all day (ahem, charlieissocoollike, nerimon, Doctor Who) that after I'm finished with my British marathon, my thoughts and words will take on a slight British accent and I love it! Very Happy
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Mayaah Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Renee wrote:British people are awesome!

Anyway…HP rules all. Tell your friends. Wink But Stephenie does have some good things going for her, too, along with tension. She writes simplistically--short sentences, short paragraphs, lots of dialogue, and basic vocabulary words. And if they're not basic, she faithfully explains them.

Her simplicity isn't great if you're analyzing the writing for style, but it's good for people less inclined to read. I've heard of a lot of reluctant readers who gave Twilight a shot, devoured it, and then became not-so-reluctant readers. I mean, I wouldn't say Twilight is the healthiest role model, but if the ends justify the means… tongue

That said, my vote is for HP, always and forever. The middle-grade-ness of the first couple books just makes it fun, for me. I'm not sure which book is my favorite, though. I really liked the 3rd…but I also liked the 7th. Then again, the 4th was awesome…and the 5th. Ugh. I'm horrible at choosing.

Agreed. If Twilight did anything good, it was encouraging kids and people to read more.
Mayaah
Mayaah
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Mayaah wrote:
That's so cool! J'aime parler francais, mais when I speak it I sound, well, French. Lol. At least I don't have an American accent. I think it's because I listen to French music a lot and sing it when I'm by myself. In the shower. Where no one can hear me. lol. xP

I wish I sounded French. But British is better than American for sure! I listen to French music too, and sing it when I'm alone or I feel so silly! Laughing
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum