Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once upon a time

+3
Amanda
Renée
Taryn
7 posters

Go down

Once upon a time Empty Once upon a time

Post  Taryn Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm

How do you all feel about fairy tale retellings?

[I haven't been on the forums in forever, so I randomly hopped in, clicked post new topic, and typed whatever came out of my fingers. Soooooooo yes. Random. But now I do want to know.]

DISCUSS!

Taryn
Taryn
Level 4
Level 4

http://tarynalbright.com

Back to top Go down

Once upon a time Empty Re: Once upon a time

Post  Renée Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Good to see you, Taryn! Smile

As for fairytale retellings, I love 'em. If done well, they can end up being one of my favorite books, because they have this classic feel to them that I enjoy (i.e. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. I've also read some fairly awful retellings, so it depends.). Currently, I have a Snow White retelling planned--I'm super excited for it. Very Happy
Renée
Renée
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:31 pm

TARYN.

Hi. bounce

My response is pretty much the same as Renee's. If I could only pick one book to read ever ever ever, it would probably be The Goose Girl. And that means, if in my entire life, I knew how to read, but I was only allowed to read one book, it would be The Goose Girl. Which makes my opinion on really well done fairytale retellings pretty clear. Razz
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am

I'd say I'm the same as the twins, but I haven't read a lot of fairytale retellings. If I have, I don't even remember. I'd say as long as they were done well, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. But if you mess up a classic... you'll get a piece of my mind. Razz
Maggie
Maggie
Level 5
Level 5

http://writeonteens.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:19 am

I'm with Maggie. I can't remember if I've read any but if it's done well, why not? I actually think it'd be interesting to read a retell of Withering Heights. Very Happy What I do LOVE is All the Cinderella remakes they do as movies. They're kind of lame but I like them lol. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 am

I *love* fairy tale retellings. So much. I love retellings in general (Percy Jackson, anyone?). But yeah, they do have to be good, or I will think* about hunting down the author and force-feeding them the real, proper story until the realize their mistake and swear on their lives that they will make it all better. Twisted Evil

*I said think. I wouldn't actually do it. But it is the thought that counts.
Constance
Constance
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Taryn!

I pretty much agree with everyone else, when they're done well (really this goes for any book out there) I love them. I remember really liking Beastly, the one they recently made the movie on, but the book was tons better than the movie. Plus, in the book he had sort of a supernatural online support group which didn't make it in the movie and that disappointed me because I liked the characters he talked to (though I understood why it didn't make it).
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 am

@Sarah There's a book for Beastly?! I'm definitely reading that! Smile I didn't like Alex Pettyfer's acting in the movie. But I love Vanessa Hudgen's character. Smile
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 am

Yup Smile it's by Alex Flinn. I read it a few years before the movie came out so I was excited when I saw they were making one on it. I agree with you, I really liked Venessa's character but I was still disappointed in the movie, I thought they could have made it better.
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Don't you just hate when they make books into movies but totally butcher them? Sad I'm praying they don't mess up The Hunger Games!
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes! It's a total pet peeve of mine! I'm excited to see the Hunger Games movie even though I haven't read the book lol
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:17 pm

You haven't read the books..? Shocked Please go read them, like, now. Very Happy You'll love them. And possibly even become completely obsessed like Maggie and me. What a Face
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm scared to because everyone says that the third one was terrible. I get really upset about those things soo I didn't want to read them Embarassed
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:39 pm

...I didn't think the third book was terrible... Embarassed *retreats back to my minority*
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm

@Amanda LOL! Well... Maybe I'll give it a try. We'll see Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:19 pm

I've heard that the 3rd book was bad too. Some say it seemed forced. Like Collins didn't want to write it, more like she had to. I read it & liked it but the only thing that really irked me was the ending. The way she didn't show what happened but just told it, like summed it up in two paragraphs. I lost a little bit of respect for Collins after that one. Mad

@Amanda, what did you think of the ending?
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Oh, I see. I've seen that done before and it really annoys me, but maybe I'll give the book a try Smile
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 pm

@Shahira--I thought the summary worked, mostly--I don't think I would've wanted to read about all that in real time. It would've dragged it out and lessened the emotional impact. I do think some things were lacking in the ending, but there's a big difference between a couple missteps and hating a book, haha. So I was generally satisfied. The main thing I disliked was Finnick's fate(GRATUITOUS!!! Crying or Very sad) and how Gale's storyline was tied up--as in it really wasn't. Blech. Mad
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Shahira Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm

@Sarah Let me know what you think once you read it. Smile

@Amanda I agree about Finnik. That was so unnecessary. Sad I also feel like she didn't give Gale the ending he deserved. Poor guy basically got brushed under the rug. That's pretty much what I couldn't get over about the ending. :/
Shahira
Shahira
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down