Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Write On! Forums
Welcome to the forums, WOTeen!
Write On! Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30,000 words!!!

+2
Maggie
Sarah
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

30,000 words!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 30,000 words!!!

Post  AWriterGoneMad Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 am

Sarah wrote:
AWriterGoneMad wrote:Yay for you! I'm editing my first novel, and it's at about 75,000 right now. (I have other documents with chapters written that I haven't added yet, but once I do that, it'll probably be back at 90k.

Wow! Great Job!!!! I couldn't imagine having to edit a 90,000 word MS, I think it's hard just at 60,000!

It is, and I would never write something this long if I could get away with it; the industry standard for an adult thriller is 90k, so I have to do it. Razz
AWriterGoneMad
AWriterGoneMad
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.thenotsodailydiariesofawritergonemad.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:58 am

AWriterGoneMad wrote:
Sarah wrote:
AWriterGoneMad wrote:Yay for you! I'm editing my first novel, and it's at about 75,000 right now. (I have other documents with chapters written that I haven't added yet, but once I do that, it'll probably be back at 90k.

Wow! Great Job!!!! I couldn't imagine having to edit a 90,000 word MS, I think it's hard just at 60,000!

It is, and I would never write something this long if I could get away with it; the industry standard for an adult thriller is 90k, so I have to do it. Razz

Lol, well at least you can say that you CAN do it! I don't think I'll ever be able to write a whole book that long!
Sarah
Sarah
Level 5
Level 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:09 am

AWriterGoneMad wrote:
The industry standard is 90k, but I wouldn't bulk it up just to meet the standard. I mean, if you've got a really cool subplot that'll do the job, or an idea that wasn't developed enough to begin with, and it makes the overall story ten times better, then go for it. But I've read that it's generally best to put word economy/the story first and industry standards second. Unless it's super super short(like 60k or something...30k below the standard might be too low), I don't think most publishers will mind a thriller that runs a little under the norm. Cheaper to print, bigger profit at the bookstore. Wink Haha, just my two cents, I'm sure you know what you're getting into. Smile
Amanda
Amanda
Level 5
Level 5

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2